• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hello All - BW Legal CCJ Action

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello All - BW Legal CCJ Action

Hi Everyone,

I am really looking for some clear direction as the information put out on various forums and the Citizens Advice Bureau, seems to conflict.

About 4 months ago, I received a letter from BW Legal notifying me of an alleged car parking infringement way back in March, and that if I ignored their demand for a fee of £160, it would be processed through the County Courts and more fees added. I replied saying that at the time of the incident, I was not driving the vehicle, and why had they been given my personal details? (Up until this point, I have had absolutely no correspondence from the car park owner - NCP Ltd, nor anything else, so it came as a bit of a shock.) Some months passed and a County Court Order came through the post, the day before another BW Legal letter saying that an order had been taken out. Despite contacting BW Legal to explain the situation, this did not seem to matter, and as such I contacted Northampton County Court, who after a lengthy conversation advised that I had a number of options - a day in court defending the claim, pay all of the claim, or, pay part of the claim - which for fear of having a CCJ hanging over me, I duly did. Another month has passed, and I have had another letter stating that I still owe them the outstanding balance and that the Court Order is still pending, together with the threat of bailiffs coming round.

Can anyone help to guide me through my options, as I feel that there is something not right here, and a supposedly reputable legal firm are using less than ethical tactics just to make money. They know I am not going to travel all the way to Northampton, and a solicitor's fees would probably exceed the claim in value. Am I liable as the vehicle owner, do I have any defence, and can I reclaim the money already paid?
    Tags: None

Hello

You said there was a conflict between various forums and Citizen's Advice, can you explain what you mean by that?

Also, it's not clear whether you have paid or part-paid the alleged debt, and again it would be helpful to clarify that position. If you paid them part of the debt, did you do this directly to them and if you did, then had you notified the court by filing an acknowledgment? It's really not clear at what stage of the legal process you are at so it's a bit difficult to know where you stand. I suggest you upload the letters you've received from BW Legal so we can decipher it for you because your post is rather cryptic.

Finally, Northampton County Court is the court that processes all claims in the first instance. It does not mean that you have to travel there for any court hearing and the general rule is that the hearing takes place at the defendant's local court.

Until we you can help us with the above queries, we aren't really able to assist you.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
      Hello

You said there was a conflict between various forums and Citizen's Advice, can you explain what you mean by that?

Also, it's not clear whether you have paid or part-paid the alleged debt, and again it would be helpful to clarify that position. If you paid them part of the debt, did you do this directly to them and if you did, then had you notified the court by filing an acknowledgment? It's really not clear at what stage of the legal process you are at so it's a bit difficult to know where you stand. I suggest you upload the letters you've received from BW Legal so we can decipher it for you because your post is rather cryptic.

Finally, Northampton County Court is the court that processes all claims in the first instance. It does not mean that you have to travel there for any court hearing and the general rule is that the hearing takes place at the defendant's local court.

Until we you can help us with the above queries, we aren't really able to assist you.

Hi there - many thanks for your time.

Attached is a full correspondence timeline covering letters/emails between myself and BW Legal, NCP Ltd and the County Court (Order).

In answer to the above queries, the Citizens Advice Bureau states that unless, as the registered keeper, you can get the person who was driving (at the time of the alleged incident) to pay the PCN, you must pay it yourself or presumably take the risk of a Court Appearance. With all other forums I have read, the advice ranges from ignore the claim completely, to replying with standard defences to that claim. Even BW Legal suggested the CAB - possibly knowing that the advice would be to just pay.

I did (and still do not) want a CCJ against me, therefore following the advice given to me by the Northampton County Court Office, agreed to pay part of the fine (paid directly to BW Legal on 27/11/18 - prior to the agreed payment date). The part of the Court Order form - returned via the Court, details this part payment. Whilst it was explained that I could dispute the claim, and take the matter to Court, I could either pay the full amount being claimed or a part thereof. No other correspondence has been received to say that the part payment was unacceptable, and that the total amount was still due. As you will see from the correspondence, payment was accepted, but that there appears to be no arrears to date? I am therefore assuming that the County Court Order is still to be enacted, which is what I am being advised verbally by BW Legal (telephone message on 22/12/18) will still happen, followed by bailiff action.

SCN_0183.pdf
      SCN_0184.pdf
      SCN_0185.pdf
      SCN_0186.pdf
      SCN_0187.pdf

Comment

You received a court claim in October and responded to the claim admitting the amount of £160, which you have paid. The remaining £80 was defended and if the £160 wasn't accepted in full and final settlement the defended part of the claim will proceed to court.

Have you checked with court the status status of the claim ? It may well be stayed if you haven't yet received a directions questionnaire... which means on hold pending the claimant responding to the court to say they wish to proceed.

So it seems you are wanting to negotiate with the claimant to withdraw the claim for the rest as they accept the £160 in f&f .
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X