• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Theft with a detacher

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Theft with a detacher

Before I write this, can I just put it out there that I am already ashamed about what I've done so please don't rub it in.

On a Thursday, I commited my first crime by stealing aftershaves from Boots worth £270 and stupidly, I returned on the Friday because I thought nothing of it. I had a bag full of stolen clothes from that day (Friday) and was caught in Boots. I paid for the stuff I had taken the day before and the police came and charged me in the back room. When they searched me, they found my security detacher (this legit only arrived on the Monday of that very same week and I kept the envelope in which it came in incase they don't believe me).

The police charged me there and then so I have a criminal record and now I'm just waiting for a letter from the PF - what is likely going to happen to me?

This is my first offence and is very out of character for me but 3 weeks prior to this I was hit with a pile of bills which I assume triggered the need to be reckless, on Top of coming off of medication - I just wanted to lash out.

help please x

Are you in Scotland ? ( Just as you mention the PF )

http://www.copfs.gov.uk/involved-in-...ith-an-offence
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Amethyst Yes I am

Comment

The sentencing guidelines are here:

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk...shop-or-stall/

I'm no expert, but my interpretation of the guidelines is:-

Assuming your thefts are under £1000 in value, you're category 2.

Culpability might be C – Lesser culpability, ie:
        • Performed limited function under direction
        • Involved through coercion, intimidation or exploitation
        • Little or no planning
        • Mental disorder/learning disability where linked to commission of the offence

The detacher does definitely not help, though, and the court might decide on culpability level B.

On the basis of C, you're looking at a fine.

If the goods were valued a bit over £1000 or they think you were culpable at level B, then you're looking at community service.

As a first offender you'd be treated more leniently within the guidelines. Will you be pleading guilty?

Comment

Thank you, that's taken some of the edge off.

I will 100% be pleading guilty, I know for a fact I've done wrong so it'd do nothing for me to plead not guilty.

I would rather community service over a sentence, that's for sure.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X