• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Got caught stupidly shoplifting from TKMaxx help please!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got caught stupidly shoplifting from TKMaxx help please!

Hello,

I was with my sister today in TKMaxx and we very very stupidly and wrongly decided to slip a few items into our bags without paying. I admit that this wasn't my first time shoplifting but after getting caught today we both most certainly won't be doing it again. They had seen us putting things into our bags while we were in the shop but only confronted us when we tried to leave.They told us to empty all our bags when in the security room and we did and we gave them everything we had taken back and no damage had been done. I am 18 and she is 16 and before knowing this the security guard told us we could only leave if a person over 18 signs our release or otherwise police would have to get involved and to this i told them i was 18 and showed them ID. He then said okay thats fine you're over 18 and told us to sign papers explaining how we're now banned from any TK Maxx stores for 12 months from now which we both did. I then asked the security what will happen now and he said you will get a letter from RLP to pay a fine and that if we paid that everything would be okay basically. I asked how much it'll be and he said he isn't sure and that it depends on how much damage was done and the time spent for all of this but he himself said that there's no damage so that's good. They then gave us a copy of the paper we signed and kept one for themselves. since police weren't involved im hoping this isn't a criminal offence or a formal caution. The only problem is now that i cannot pay the fine. And since we both took things im guessing we will be getting a fine each (im so hoping this isn't the case). I have seen on plenty forums where people are saying to ignore RLP and how they have no legal claim and that i don't have to pay the fine. It's just every thread where the person is ignoring the letters they don't follow up on what happens eventually and in one case i read a thread where this whole thing lasted about 5 months where RLP kept sending letters and notices threatening legal action but the author of the thread stops posting eventually about whether letters stopped coming or if actual legal action was taken from TK Maxx. So i am just wondering what will happen eventually after i keep ignoring the fine letter ( which i will do because i cannot pay it whatsoever). I have definately learnt my lesson and won't be shoplifting again. Can someone please give me advice preferably someone who has been in the same situation or anyone who can help really as i am very scared and i literally feel sick about this whole thing. I can't even tell my parents as this is not an option (it'll make things worse and they won't pay it) so im hoping the letters stop quickly because if they end up opening an RLP letter my life is over lol.

Can you post a copy of the document you signed at tkmaxx please.(redact your personal details)

No you don't have a criminal record, and this is not a fine.

It's an invoice for costs which would have been incurred had you or had you not attempted to shoplift and, so far as we are aware, RLP haven't taken a shoplifter to court for payment since 2010 ( when they lost)

I think the lack of posting is letters can end up with bigger gaps between them till they just stop, so it's quite unusual for someone to think ' ooo I haven't had a letter for the last six months ' and come tell us ... it's a shame but we take it a good sign that no one comes back and says they have a court claim ( and I think they would post if they had, as if someone is really stressed about a letter they certainly be stressed over a court claim and ask how to deal with it )

Basically - yes you will get 5/6 letters from RLP, then maybe a couple from a debt collection company ( who have no more power than RLP ) then that does seem to be that.

The only people who could bring a court claim would be tkmaxx in any case ( and I've never seen one of those either )

So yes, ignore, ignore, ignore.

And don't shoplift again.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi Amethyst,
      Thank you for your reply. Yes that makes sense i guess i was just very worried that day, i'm hoping this issue won't reach that extent where they take me to court. I will attach pictures of the banning notice they made me sign that same day and a form they gave me to take home too. Also, just wanted to say i have received my first letter from RLP and the 'fine' is £191 and my sister also got one too asking for the same amount so £382 total. Upon finishing reading the letter which was titled "letter before claim" (i must say, they go out of their way to make it as threatening as possible as i'm not entirely sure what this means) i ripped it up and threw it in the bin as there is no way that i am paying that amount when the security guard himself said there was no damage. I promise you i have learnt my lesson and it won't happen again. Here are the documents:

12monthsban.jpegrlp.jpeg

Comment

Nothing to worry about in those They seem to have given you the 'store copy' , and haven't completed the date and time field. The RLP letter sounds pretty standard, if you want an idea of what the next letters will be like have a read through here http://legalbeagles.info/forums/foru...rs-rlp-and-dwf - and continue to ignore them The only thing you shouldn't ignore is an actual county court claim ( and that is very very unlikely to happen ).

They have enough trouble justifying £191 for a single incident dealt with by staff employed to, well, deal with such incidents ( thus no loss to them at all ) - let alone how they would manage to justify double that because there happened to be two of you.

If you feel like some reading have a look through the 'Oxford' Judgment from 2010 - here -> http://legalbeagles.info/forums/foru...h-and-the-lies
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X