• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Creditcard debt.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creditcard debt.

Hi guys you guys are the masters in the dark art.so looking for some help and advice..so here goes I have moved abroad 3 years ago with the plan to move back.i moves with credit cards which have a lot of debt.I have moved to Poland from uk.and salary is not even 1/3 of what I was on before.so been making repayments to credit cards which has not been easy but idea was as soon as I go back to uk.back to a normal salary I would clear the debts.But now unfortunate due to personal family issues with my we have to stay permanantly.and I cannot afford to make payments or clear the debt..so what are chances of Barclaycard accepting a full and final settlement..I might be able to scrape together some cash to give them a one lump payment...what is Barclays reputation for final settlements.i cannot declare bankruptcy cause I have been outside of uk for 3 years.only other way is to declare bankruptcy in Poland but this is not a option cause we plan to stay here..

sorry for long long post but want to explain all
    Tags: None

Originally posted by Ravenstone83 View Post
    Hi guys you guys are the masters in the dark art.so looking for some help and advice..so here goes I have moved abroad 3 years ago with the plan to move back.i moves with credit cards which have a lot of debt.I have moved to Poland from uk.and salary is not even 1/3 of what I was on before.so been making repayments to credit cards which has not been easy but idea was as soon as I go back to uk.back to a normal salary I would clear the debts.But now unfortunate due to personal family issues with my we have to stay permanantly.and I cannot afford to make payments or clear the debt..so what are chances of Barclaycard accepting a full and final settlement..I might be able to scrape together some cash to give them a one lump payment...what is Barclays reputation for final settlements.i cannot declare bankruptcy cause I have been outside of uk for 3 years.only other way is to declare bankruptcy in Poland but this is not a option cause we plan to stay here..

sorry for long long post but want to explain all
    If you never intend to return to the UK then Barclaycard cannot pursue you for a debt as the UK Courts do not have jurisdiction in Poland. It's upto you if you want to offer a settlement to close the account, but I'd imagine they make decisions based on individual cases and therefore likelihood of acceptance isn't something any of us could guess.
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Hi thanks for the input which is greatly appreciated but can they not try to reclaim the debt through a polish Debt collector

Comment

Originally posted by Ravenstone83 View Post
        Hi thanks for the input which is greatly appreciated but can they not try to reclaim the debt through a polish Debt collector
        No because you signed an agreement governed by the laws of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, so a polish debt collector would have no power to collect on you as they couldn't possibly take you to the polish courts.

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Ok but can they not outsources to a polish Debt collection agency

Comment

Jaguarsuk

I think you are wrong, debts can be chased across the EU
            https://www.gov.uk/recover-debt-from...european-union

Comment

Originally posted by Matty B View Post
              Jaguarsuk

I think you are wrong, debts can be chased across the EU
              https://www.gov.uk/recover-debt-from...european-union
              Yes, if they know where the OP lives to issue a claim and then enforce it, plus are prepared to pay the fees on a hiding to potentially nothing.

As I have said to the OP it's up to them if they want to offer a settlement to close the account, but I'd imagine they make decisions based on individual cases and therefore likelihood of acceptance isn't something any of us could guess.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X