• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Forum Manners

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum Manners

Morning all

“A man's manners are a mirror in which he shows his portrait.”

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I felt the need to post this up because from time to time, we endure disputes purely caused by bad manners.

If someone uses the incorrect conjugation of a verb in a 121 conversation, I wouldn't dream of correcting them, or if someone uses a malapropism, I wouldn't point out their error in case I embarrassed them. It's just good manners, leave those sort of corrections to their parents!

Pointing out someones spelling mistakes, poor grammar or use of capitalisation adds nothing to the debate on a thread, often it actually just steers the thread into off topic posts and detracts greatly from the usefulness of the topic of the thread.

Cel x

“Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter what fork you use.”
    Emily Post
    Last edited by Celestine; 9th November 2011, 16:31:PM.
    "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com
    Tags: None

Re: Forum Manners

A few of my favourites on manners, all I believe to be true:

Manners easily and rapidly mature into morals.

Manners are of more importance than laws. Manners are what vex or soothe, corrupt or purify, exalt or debase, barbarize or refine us, by a constant, steady, uniform, insensible operation, like that of the air we breathe in.

We cannot always oblige; but we can always speak obligingly.

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
    __________________________________________________ _____________

I think at times all of us fall short of these, it's human nature - however all the above I believe are excellent aims.

Comment

A couple of things that I try to live by
      (its not allways easy but I do always try)

Manners cost no money and no time to make so make many

and

Its nice to be nice

Comment

My first Headmistress (lovely woman!) used to say
        Last edited by charitynjw; 10th November 2011, 00:57:AM.
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Nice to see a bit of heraldry introduced here, Chaz. Whose CoA is that ? "W...W" - must be Wycombe Wanderers. Known for being used to playing on a sloped playing field - and for 'wandering' off-side !!! As for being polite - well...they're a soccer team. "SayNoMore, Squire !!!"

I like a larf in here, and typo's can be a good source - but only where we know our 'opponent' to some extent. There is 'good' humour, and 'bad' humour, I believe. Those who belittle other posters - for whatever reason - must ask themselves why they do this. If they are honest with themselves, then they will know how desperate they are to boost their own 'dimensionally-challenged' ego's. I get a much bigger buzz from peeps saying "Hey, thanks Bill - that was good $h1t" - than I would from peeps saying "Eeuw, I'm SOOOO sorry to have insulted you by asking such a stupid question." A thing I learned early on was that THE MANNER in which someone nails their post to these boards is of NO consequence - and those who focus on that in their response are missing the point of being here entirely, IMHO.

I have been rude - and breached other rules - after a wee drinkie sometimes. I beg forgiveness for those occasions (and I mean that. I will respond to the first 100 PM's received after this post !!! ). I have made many apologies, and will make many more in the future, I guess. We speak our minds here, and sometimes we confuse honesty with rudeness, or even with confidentiality.

To me, the bottom line is motive. Why are we EACH here ? I originally came here to learn how to get my money back. I enjoyed learning stuff - and then I enjoyed passing it on to others who subsequently arrived, and getting thanks for that. Being thanked and appreciated for that is what gave me MY ego boost. I don't recall EVER being thanked for belittling anyone - and the ego boost I got for doing that (and, yes, I HAVE done that) was minimal.

Sharing what we have, for the benefit of us all, is what these forums are all about, innit ? It's just like music - and love. Played alone, it amounts to nowt more than masturbation. Unselfish sharing is what gives it any potency. ....You can tell I'm a '60's child, can't you ?
          LOL (LoadsaLove !!!) :hippie: :billk: Well.....'50's, if we're being honest...!!! :_thedoctor__by_GuyF

Comment

http://www.winchestercollege.org/arms

"The Achievement of Arms displayed today by Winchester College is actually a version of those of the founder, William of Wykeham (1320-1404), when in his position as Bishop of Winchester (1366-1404).
            The Arms are made up of the shield displayed within the Garter, the whole surmounted by a bishop's mitre between the letters WW. Beneath the arms is the motto."

CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

Comment

If I remember correctly from my reading he was a very interesting character as well. Twice Chancellor of England and founder of New College Oxford (thanks University Challenge!).

He died one of the richest men in England, with much left to schools which he patronized, though I believe he did not inherit this Coat of Arms, but assumed it. All establishments set up by him have this COA and motto.

Perhaps as twice chancellor to England, despite an impressive COA, we can balme him for the current economic climate! lol

A VERY interesting man.

Comment

My default option is that if I'm not sure whose fault a problem is, I deem it to be Maragret Thatcher's fault. More problems than ot in our country today are her fault, so the odds are good !

Comment

St Maggie - surely not! Given her heritage (though William above was from a peasants family) I guess her Coat of Arms motto would be "Five portions a day keepeth man regular!"

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
                    St Maggie - surely not! Given her heritage (though William above was from a peasants family) I guess her Coat of Arms motto would be "Five portions a day keepeth man regular!"
                    "But go careful with the milk!!"
                    CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                    Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Comment

HI

In thik that speling and grammer are qeuy the indicates fo intlelijence and anyone ho cannot at least form a crectly, structured sentence shouold be shown up for the idiut they is;

Peter
                        Last edited by peterbard; 10th November 2011, 16:40:PM. Reason: oops

Comment

Originally posted by peterbard View Post
                          HI

In thik that speling and grammer are qeuy the indicates fo intlelijence and anyone ho cannot at least form a crectly, structured sentence shouold be shown up for the idiut they is;

Peter
                          Swear down, blud, respeck, innit!
                          Last edited by charitynjw; 10th November 2011, 19:16:PM. Reason: Spelling of 'respect' was correct
                          CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                          Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
                            Swear down, blud, respeck, innit!
                            you takin't mick:beagle:

Comment

Originally posted by peterbard View Post
                              you takin't mick:beagle:
                              Nah, cuz, I wouldn't diss you, that would be dark - it was just jokes! :tung:
                              CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                              Phelps, C. C.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X