• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cheap shopping tips and tricks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap shopping tips and tricks

There are legitimate ways to cut your shopping spend way way down. If you've got a little time it can be worth it.

Grocery shopping can be painful. If you pay £100's a month then you are too rich

There are currently some great ways to save a fortune !

Everyone should install some basic apps on their phone/tablet.

http://www.shopitize.com/ Straight forward buy item x get some cashback for buying it. Instore only, no online shopping.

http://www.appbrain.com/app/mysuperl...et.mysuperlist Same as shopitize but sometimes they do 50% cashback instead of a cash amount. Also very useful to compare prices which is important as a cheapskate

https://www.quidco.com/clicksnap/offers/all/ also available in app form. Money back for purchasing things. Got to make sure it's available in the shop you want and also if instore or online. Many great bargains here. If you want you can ask me for a referral code for which you get nowt but i get £2.50

http://www.topcashback.co.uk/SnapAndSave/Offers Same as clicksnap from quidco but recently the offers have been a bit poor. Instore only, no online shopping. Referral is £7.50 so if you want me to benefit then i'll gladly refer you

http://asdapriceguarantee.co.uk/Home.aspx (APG) A vital saving tool. If a banana cost £1 in asda and 50p in Tesco, providing you bought 8 different items that are on the website not 8 bananas, then you get a voucher for the difference and 10% on top. So 50p difference and 5p on top. It is the aggregate shop that counts though so don't buy an orange in the same shop for 50p in Asda if it's £1 in Tesco or you're not going to make much savings ! Compares to either Tesco, sainsburys, Morrisons or Waitrose. Huge vouchers can cause issues as staff start thinking somethings wrong so under £10 is best unless it's online in which case £100 is the limit per month per household. Use the app for instore receipts and you don't need to give name address etc.

https://www.tescopricepromise.com/ (TPP) Only the difference here and max £10. Compares to either Asda, Morrisons or Sainsburys. Minimum 10 items before you can compare.

https://www.sainsburys-live-well-for...k/brand-match/ (BM) Spend £20 minimum voucher capped at £10 Compares to either Tesco or Asda.

How can i get good savings then ?

Well one way, aside from spending money obviously, is to pick up receipts aka "wombling". APG (asdapriceguarantee) is great for this. Some people make well in to 3 figures just on APG's without taking in to account the cashback site income. Spend the APG vouchers on stuff you need and either make a great saving on your normal spend or have a better stocked fridge, cellar and cupboards.

TPP and BM are instant so the receipts are only good for cashback but you do find them the vouchers are like cash and you don't need to print them like you do with APG. You also find various till splits (£3 off £20 etc)

If the idea of picking up receipts doesn't appeal then we get to the nuts and bolts of it all. Make the best of all the tools to get the best results.

Always check the apps to make sure you get a deal if it's posted as sometimes people get different offers.

Target a shop. Make a list. Stick to it.

An example from yesterday which should work for anyone until midnight tonight.

Shopped in Asda and targetted Morrisons for the APG.

1 x Haribo Maoam Giant Strawberry Stripes £0.10 N/A
    2 x Heinz Baked Beanz in Tomato Sauce (4x415g) £5.00 £2.80
    1 x Swizzels Matlow Strawberry Refresher Bar £0.10 N/A
    1 x Kettle Chips Sea Salt & Balsamic Vinegar (150g) £1.99 £1.00
    1 x Andrex Classic White Toilet Tissue Rolls - 240 She... £1.98 £1.98
    1 x ASDA Chosen by You Giant White Mice Bar (15g) £0.10 N/A
    1 x ASDA Chosen by You Giant Rainbow Buttons Bar (15g) £0.10 N/A
    1 x Coca Cola Zero (500ml) £1.15 £1.19
    1 x Plenty Kitchen Towel White - 50 Sheets per Roll (2... £1.86 £1.86

Now first thing is, the 2 x beans only cost £3. The fact it compares £5 is a system glitch. These happen sometimes. Sometimes they favour us sometimes they don't. They can end abruptly but this one should be ok until Wednesday afternoon at least, i think.

Second thing, there are 8 items. I need this or there is no comparison to Morrisons, remebmer that.

So i spent £10.38.

The APG voucher i got was £4.04.

Shopitize gave me £1.50 for the beans. Another £1.50 for the kettle crisps. Another £1.50 for the Andrex. 80p for the plenty and £1.20 for the coke. Total £6.50.

So as you see i paid £10.38 and my returns were£10.54. Pretty good huh ?

This shop will work if copied tonight.

New offers today include 90p cashback on quidco clicksnap for 1L Badoit water which is the cost in all shops. Useful as 1 of your 8/10 items if shopping at Asda/Tesco. if copying my above shop just add in on.

I'll add more as and when they crop up and i have time to add.

M1
    Last edited by mystery1; 11th November 2013, 17:44:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: Cheap shopping tips and tricks

I should add, always get coupons where you can. A free item saves you paying to get to the 8/10 item limit. Give it to the foodbank if it's no use to you. A coupon on it's own might not lead to free but combined with other offers it might.

Another example edited to remove some items:-

2 x ASDA Tiger Chest Bread (400g) £1.60 £1.00
    1 x Walkers Meaty Variety Crisps (20x25g) £4.69 £3.00
    1 x Walkers Classic Variety Crisps (20x25g) £4.69 £3.00
    1 x Golden Wonder Cheese & Onion Crisps (6x25g) £1.48 £1.49

The 2 breads compare at £1.60 v £1 in Morrisons. They only cost £1 in Asda so the net cost is 30p for 2 loaves. Guaranteed to b 10 % cheaper remember so that would be 90p in Morrisons £1.60 - £0.90 = 70p. £1 that you paid less 70p voucher = 30p net.

Crisps were £7 for 2. Another glitch. Net cost £3.02 for 40 bags.

Golden wonder crisps - try me free http://www.glorioustaste.co.uk/ don't mind if i do

M1

Comment

Beans glitch and shopitize £1.50 is over.

Not all bad though as the Badoit water 90p cashback on a 90p spend on Quidco clicksnap is not the only "freebie" we have.

Shopitize have Hellmans light Mayo 430 ml £1 cashback. £1.25 straight up in Tesco or combine in an Asda shop versuses Tesco £2.49 v £1.25 and get the extra 10 % off.

Shopitize have £1.70 cashback on a 425g bottle of HP and it's £1.70 everywhere. Straight up free or extra 10% in an Asda v anybody shop so effectively paid 17p to take it away

Cheap beer deals on MSL and some free dog food on Quidco clicksnap as well as some less good deals all around which are only good if you're buying anyway or you womble a receipt that has an item on it.

M1

Comment

blimey M1 that all sounds far too complicated for me - I'm lucky if I can get around Tesco without wanting to fishhook my eyeballs out. I do have topcashback and quidco but hardly use them, as I don't shop enough online. I save money by only buying reduced stuff (sell by date stuff) in my local co-op (£1 chickens are my favourite) and Tesco.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Sometimes things appear harder than they actually are.

Once you get used to it it's more time consuming than difficult. It's also counter intuitive to buy things where they are more expensive which is usually the best place to buy it

Those receipts you get at Tesco, you saved £xx today or here's £xx off your next shop are part of it.

Last week Metro newspaper had coupons for free rice. Nothing complicated there. Use coupon get rice for free

The boxes of 12 Cobra last month were more complicated but i was selling mine for £5 and making more than £3 a box despite actually "paying" Asda £9 each

What it boils down to is making your money go further. If it's worth your while do it, if not then your still mad not to do it

M1

Comment

Say you are buying 12 items in Tesco. 10 of them are the same price or cheaper in Asda and 2 are cheaper in Tesco than Asda.

The 10 items are a combined total of £8 cheaper in Asda. (note that in tesco you need a minimum of 10 items or the tesco price promise does not apply)

The 2 items are a combined total of £2 cheaper in Tesco.

Your price promise voucher would be £6 if you bought them all together. Just by putting the 2 items through as a separate transaction you are £2 better off but still have the same shopping.

Now if anyone is giving you cashback on those items then your saving is better.

If you were only buying 9 items in Tesco and the combined total was £8 cheaper in Asda then you'd get no voucher back as you would not have enough items. This is a waste of £8. Buy something cheap, small bit of ginger, carrot, banana etc or stock up on the HP sauce i mentioned above.

M1

Comment

Nothing out of the ordinary here just cashback and targetted shopping

10 items on your bill qualify for comparison ASDA Sainsbury's

+£1.92

1 x Colman's English Mustard (170g) £1.54 £1.55
              1 x Badoit Naturally Sparkling Mineral Water (1L) £0.90 £0.90
              1 x HP Brown Sauce (425g) £1.70 £1.70
              1 x OXO Stock Cubes Beef (12x6g) £1.00 £1.20
              1 x Bird's Custard Powder (300g) £1.09 £1.00
              1 x Dr. Oetker Ready to Roll Natural Marzipan (454g) £2.55 £2.00
              1 x Dr. Oetker Ready to Roll Regal Ice Icing White (45... £1.60 £1.07
              1 x Dr. Oetker Regal-Ice Ready to Roll White Icing (1K... £2.89 £1.93
              1 x Candyland Flumps Mallow Twists £0.10 £0.10
              1 x Wham Original Raspberry Flavour Chew Bar (25g) £0.20 £0.20

Comparison total £13.57 £11.65

APG £3.09
              Shopitize £3.22 (Hp £1.70, mustard 77p, custard 39p, oxo 36p)
              Quidco £2.92 (water 90p, custard 39p, hp 50p, mustard 77p, oxo 36p)
              MSL £3.52 (Dr Oetker 50% cashback)

Net cost 82p

Not bad with the various companies having the same items on cashback

M1

Comment

Free Oykos yoghurt. £1 for 4 at Asda see here . £1 voucher for signing up to a newsletter http://livedanone.co.uk/ (best to always use an email address that you do not use for normal purposes as these things usually spam you).

Fairy liquid 530 ml original £1.50 everywhere or £2 for 2 in Tesco. 30p cashback shopitize and 30p quidco clicksnap both end midnight tomorrow. 50p coupon http://www.supersavvyme.co.uk/tag/coupon When printing print 1 then click on back on your browser and it usually lets you print a 2nd one. 40p for 2 or if you buy in Asda as part of a targetted shop against Tesco it's 20p for 2

M1

Comment

Free pizza https://www.facebook.com/ChicagoTown...76929785827017 £2 voucher http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/Shopp...cago%20town%20 £2 pizza.

Free mentoes gum. https://www.facebook.com/mentosuk/app_297940077012884

Free dog food sample https://www.bakerscomplete.co.uk/Pro...n/default.aspx

Check you quidco clicksnap page as some have free dog food.

M1

Comment

T Mobile 12 month plan 250 mins 500 texts and 500 mb a month for the princely sum of nothing

Go to quidco or topcashback and search for t mobile.(not sure if there is cashback but no harm in trying) Once on the t mobile site search sim only deals.

Voila.

Apparently they've made this mistake before and honoured it. Worst case you cancel. Best case is a great deal !

M1

Comment

Originally posted by mystery1 View Post
                      T Mobile 12 month plan 250 mins 500 texts and 500 mb a month for the princely sum of nothing

Go to quidco or topcashback and search for t mobile.(not sure if there is cashback but no harm in trying) Once on the t mobile site search sim only deals.

Voila.

Apparently they've made this mistake before and honoured it. Worst case you cancel. Best case is a great deal !

M1

Dear Customer,

Thanks for placing an order with T-Mobile for the £8 SIM only pack.

There was an error on the shop which meant that your £8 SIM only was advertised as free each month. We will honour this mistake and your SIM will be with you shortly, we have had a lot of orders because of this error so please allow up to 7 days for delivery.

If you need help or advice with any of our products or services please visit www.t-mobile.co.uk.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused but we look forward to welcoming you as a T-Mobile customer.

Kind regards,

T-Mobile

Hope somebody got it

M1

Comment

:clap2: Nice of them to honour it.
                        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Topcashback "free" drink.

Costa Free Hot Drink (Primo) Receipt
                          Get 100% cashback on any primo (small) hot drink

Offer valid from 19 Nov 13 to 19 Nov 13

* Terms and conditions apply.
                          Terms & Conditions
                          This offer is only availble from Costa stores.Please note, you may only submit 1 receipt for this offer and this offer and a hot drink is limited to 1 per member. There is only 1000 free hot drinks available, once this is reached we will not accept any new receipts and your cashback will be declined. It is a limited time offer and is subject to availability. This offer is valid from the 18th November 2013 until the offer runs out. Available drinks include: -Flat White (primo) -Cappuccino (primo)-Caffe Latte (primo)-Americano (primo) -Hot Chocolate (primo)-Mocha (primo)-Tea(primo) -Gingerbread & Cream Latte(primo)-Salted Caramel & Cream Latte(primo)-Chocolate & Orange Mocha Latte (Small) -Black Forest Hot Chocolate (primo)-White Hot Chocolate with Cream (primo)
                          -Honeycomb & Cream Hot Chocolate (primo)-Hot Spiced Apple (primo)
                          Participation may vary. Terms and conditions apply. Offer may be withdrawn at any time.-The following needs to be visible on your receipt: The receipt number, the item purchased that’s eligible for cashback. Items can only be claimed once per receipt, and each receipt can only be used by one member for each offer. The date shown on your snapped receipt must also be within the offer period. After you’ve submitted your receipt, your cashback may take up to 7 days to be added to your TopCashback Account. If more than 1 drink is submitted on a receipt, TopCashback will pay the cashback on the cheapest drink.

M1

Comment

Tesco's cash machines giving out vouchers for a FREE BIRD'S EYE VEG FUSION PACK.

Print your balance and get a voucher (or some vouchers)

M1

Comment

O2 priority moments have 1 litre of screenwash for free at Halfords.

If you haven't got o2 get a free sim as you get quite a few freebies on it. Download the priority moments app.

M1

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X