• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Makes you proud to be Welsh.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Makes you proud to be Welsh.....

Welsh government's £48k wind turbine creates £5 of power a month

By Paul MartinBBC News

The Welsh government said the turbine had mechanical problems

Continue reading the main storyRelated Stories

A wind turbine that cost the Welsh government £48,000 to buy has been generating an average of just £5 worth of electricity per month.
    The turbine was put its Aberystwyth office, rated excellent for sustainability, in 2009.
    The Welsh government said the turbine had mechanical problems.
    But before it was installed, the turbine makers warned Welsh government contractors it would not be exposed to enough wind where it was positioned.
    The turbine's output has been monitored officially since January last year and figures suggest it could take hundreds of years for it to offset the cost of its purchase and installation.
    The Welsh government confirmed in a response to a Freedom Of Information request that between January 2012 and July this year the turbine generated 585 kilowatt hours of energy (kWh) - an average of 33 kWh per month.
    Continue reading the main story“Start Quote

I think the problem is quite simple, it's been put in the wrong place”
    Paul BurrellSmall turbine installer
    Taking 16p as an estimate for the current price of electricity per kWh in the consumer market, it works out at a value of £5.28 per month.
    The Welsh government said there had been mechanical problems with the turbine and that throughout 2012 it was only operating at 26% of its capacity.
    Some improvements have been made and as of January this year it has been operating at 68%.
    But if it continues to operate at 68% capacity then it will generate 55.25 kWh per month - electricity with a value of £8.84.
    At that rate it would take around 452 years to offset the cost of buying and installing the turbine.
    The company which manufactured the turbine, Quiet Revolution, said mechanical problems were not the main reason for its performance but its location.
    The company showed BBC Wales a letter written before the turbine was installed which made it clear it was sceptical the location would expose the turbine to enough wind to make it viable.
    Right locationThat letter was sent to a company called Mitie which was acting as the contractor to the Welsh government.
    Neither Mitie nor the Welsh government have been able to confirm yet whether Quiet Revolution's advice was taken into account when the turbine was given the go-ahead.
    It is not uncommon for an organisation to use a small wind turbine as a means of generating some of its own electricity.
    Paul Burrell from Anemos, a company based in Machynlleth, Powys, which installs small and medium-sized wind turbines, said in the right location turbines like this could be very effective.
    "I think the problem is quite simple - it's been put in the wrong place," he said.

"It's very important with any wind turbine to ensure it's in the most exposed location possible. They need unobstructed access to wind from all directions.
    'Very patchy'"Unfortunately the Welsh government's one is located in a valley, two miles from the sea and has quite a short tower.
    "It's located next to tall buildings so even if there's a strong wind it will be displaced by the time it reaches the turbine, it will be very patchy and lacking in potential so the turbine won't get the chance to spin properly."
    He said using a wind turbine was a sound economic investment as long as it was in the right location.
    "The payback period (on initial capital investment) can be anywhere between four and seven years," he added. "There are many examples of turbines across Wales on track to do this.
    "A turbine this size should produce around 9,000 kWh per year which is a significant amount of power."
    A Welsh government spokesperson said: "We have an ambitious carbon management strategy for the whole of our estate which includes a wide range of activities aimed at reducing CO2 emissions.
    "For example, the Welsh government office in Aberystwyth includes a biomass heating system, solar panels and a wind turbine designed to power a small number of workstations.
    "As a result we have seen a 17% reduction in CO2 emissions over the past two years and are well on course to meet the overarching target of a 30% reduction by 2020."

More on This Story

Related Stories

From other news sites

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

Share this page

More Wales stories

RSS

Top Stories

Tags: None

Re: Makes you proud to be Welsh.....

Comment

One of the reasons we moved to England wales a country governed by a bunch of tossers only interested in empire building with the peoples money.

Comment

'appen they would have gotten the same amount of wind power from all the sheep farting, I believe they blow out double when they see a chap in wellies .

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
          One of the reasons we moved to England, a country governed by a bunch of tossers only interested in empire building with the peoples money.

Fixed it for you!

Comment

Okay I'm not great at Maths, but if it creates £8.84 of leccy at 68% capacity surely thats only £15 a month at 100% capacity ? so the 'not acting at full capacity' is a crap excuse because even at full capacity it's pointless.

Plus I think 16p a KWH is quite generous. I only pay 12.4p.
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Clearly the decision to install the turbine was entirely political to make the Welsh Government appear green but it's not a Welsh thing.

My bro in law was a consultant on a project to install 4 similar but much bigger turbines on DEFRA's building. He told them that it would take many hundreds of years to claw back the investment in energy cost savings even if the things ran full pelt for that long. They didn't want to know. I drive past them every now and again and I've never seen one of them turn.

Comment

We're surrounded by these things in the Rhondda Valleys, and they often turn and make a hell of a noise, I've no idea how much electricity they push out. They're appearing offshore as well. You can look out from the east coast of Anglesey onto a huge offshore wind farm.

I'm surprised more has not been done to harness the power of the sea and rivers. There's been talk of a Severn Barrage for ages, but nothing seems to be done about it. It seems a good idea to me!

Comment

If the welsh government gets involved in the Severn barrage they will probable spend billions and place it beside the M4

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
                    Clearly the decision to install the turbine was entirely political to make the Welsh Government appear green but it's not a Welsh thing.

My bro in law was a consultant on a project to install 4 similar but much bigger turbines on DEFRA's building. He told them that it would take many hundreds of years to claw back the investment in energy cost savings even if the things ran full pelt for that long. They didn't want to know. I drive past them every now and again and I've never seen one of them turn.

Unfortunately the Green Energy Industry tends to ignore uncomfortable facts and too many people are making too much money out of the available subsidies to examine inconvenient evidence. Apart from the lack of energy production and the fact that they are defunct before they have paid for themselves, there are other angles such as this one:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/ene...cientists.html

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post

I'm surprised more has not been done to harness the power of the sea and rivers. There's been talk of a Severn Barrage for ages, but nothing seems to be done about it. It seems a good idea to me!
                      The evidence against the Barrage, both in terms of its likely ineffectiveness and the irreversible environmental damage it would do, is utterly overwhelming to those of us who care passionately about the river and the unique natural environment hereabouts. The reason the Barrage is pushed by some is that they (the political chosen few) would make an enormous amount of money from it and benefit from a short term political boost from foreign investors appearing to agree to flood the area with money. Thank God William Hague came into office in time to make the decision (whatever else he has/hasn't done this decision was brave and right in the light of the evidence) and not the man Hain who seems to have made it a personal mission to install the Severn Barrage regardless of scientific evidence and local opinion. Interesting links on here:

http://saveoursevern.org/

Comment

What's the difference between wind turbines & dilithium crystals as an energy source?

Not as much as you may think!

CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                        gets his brain a-going.
                        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

I think the problem is quite simple, it's been put in the wrong place”
                          Paul Burrell Small turbine installer
                          Isn't he Princess Diana's butler?

Comment

She still need a butler?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X