• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Proposed UTCCR Amendment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proposed UTCCR Amendment

EDIT Due to a misunderstanding on my part about the timing of publication
    I have temporarily removed this.
    Last edited by EXC; 13th February 2008, 05:56:AM.

Re: Proposed UTCCR Amendment

I would suggest that this issue is fairly well covered in section 5, where it states that;

5. - (1) A contractual term which has not been individually negotiated shall be regarded as unfair if, contrary to the requirement of good faith, it causes a significant imbalance in the parties' rights and obligations arising under the contract, to the detriment of the consumer.
    In addition, in the event of ambiguity in a written contractual term, the contra proferentem rule requires the court to resolve any ambiguity against the party who drafted the term.

Is there any indication that there is an MP who is willing to submit this proposed amendment?

Comment

this is the bones of it.

(a) By adding the following after regulation 6(2)(b) -
      “6 (3) Where the fairness of a term in a consumer contract is in issue in any proceedings it shall be for the seller or supplier to show that the term in question is not unfair.”

(is 'contract is in issue in any proceedings' right?)
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Cet, I really don't have a clue myself as to how relevent the amendment is - you're far more versed on legal stuff. I do remember him telling me that he'd spoken to one or two MPs about it but I don't know any more than that at the moment

Comment

Ame - could you come in chat for a sec?

Comment

ok
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
              (is 'contract is in issue in any proceedings' right?)
              Sorry for sounding thick but what do you mean Ame?

Comment

is

''is in issue''

right ? I'm not up on legal terminology so it could be 'in issue' I guess, just thought it should be 'is an issue'

also suppliers and sellers ? in the UTCCR ?
                #staysafestayhome

Comment

Maybe 'in' issue is a legal term but I don't know. 'Suppliers' is certainly a term that was used very often during the test case when referring to UTCCR. I think that 'suppliers' would refer to providers of services and 'sellers' to those who provide goods.

Comment

just a quick question, Does the court not already have tests like, Parol evidence, Implied terms, contracts rendered Illegallity,By restitution, by statute or common law, or by severence.
                    Duress, Discharge, Consideration, Exclusion, Misrepresentation, Mistake , privity, Or Undue Influence?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X