• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

~OFT **MIGHT** make announcement on 22nd December

Collapse
This thread is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ~OFT **MIGHT** make announcement on 22nd December

In response to a question from Alistair Carmichael on steps to limit the levels of penalty charges imposed by banks on their customers, Exchequer Secretary Sarah McCarthy-Fry stated that consumer groups, the OFT and banks would be worked with to create a voluntary and transparent approach to bank charges.
    Mr Carmichael asked about assessing section 140 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974, following the Abbey case.

In reply, the Minister stated that the OFT was still assessing the Abbey judgement and a decision would be made on 22 December.

Extract from Hansard

Banks (Penalty Charges)

5. Mr. Alistair Carmichael (Orkney and Shetland) (LD): If he will take steps to limit the levels of penalty charges imposed by banks on their customers; and if he will make a statement. [306846]
    The Exchequer Secretary to the Treasury (Sarah McCarthy-Fry): The Government announced in the pre-Budget report on 9 December that they would work with consumer groups, the Office of Fair Trading and the banks to agree a new framework that will make bank charges fairer, simpler and more transparent. The Government will take action to deliver change if a voluntary approach does not result in a fair outcome for consumers.
    Mr. Carmichael: I thank the Minister for that very helpful reply. She was given a fairly broad hint by the judgment of Lord Walker in the case of Abbey National and others, when he said that his decision was
    • "not the end of the matter,"

and that
    • "Ministers and Parliament may wish to consider the matter further."

What can she do to review the operation of section 140 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974, which requires fairness in the contractual relationship between banks and customers?

15 Dec 2009 : Column 788
    Sarah McCarthy-Fry: The Office of Fair Trading is still considering that judgment in detail, and on 22 December it intends to make an announcement about what further action will be taken. Our position is very clear: we want to see a fairer and more transparent system of charges, and we are working very closely with the OFT to achieve that.
    Mr. Andrew Love (Edmonton) (Lab/Co-op): I welcome the Government's decision to stop unrequested credit card cheques being sent to consumers, but I urge the Minister also to consider unrequested credit card limits. That is of great concern to consumer organisations and very detrimental to the most vulnerable consumers.
    Sarah McCarthy-Fry: I thank my hon. Friend for his question. He has a long record of standing up for the consumer in such matters. We were very pleased to be able to introduce measures to stop the practice of unrequested credit card cheques, and we continually keep under review how we can best protect our most vulnerable people.
    DISCUSS THIS Sarah McCarthy-Fry stated that consumer groups, the OFT and banks ........ - Legal Beagles
    Last edited by Amethyst; 16th December 2009, 09:31:AM.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Re: ~OFT to make announcement on 22nd December

Originally posted by Budgie View Post
    OK,

I just spoke with the OFT.

Sarah McCarthy's comment yesterday was an un-briefed comment.

The OFT stand by their statement made to us at the meeting last week.

No decision has yet been made and they are not able to say when they will be in a position to make that decision or when it will be announced.

Because of the market sensisitive nature of both decision and it's announcement it is likely that they will only be able to give approx 1 hours notification of an announcement and that notification will take place after the financial markets have ceased trading for that particular day.

Budgie
    oops deary me
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Re: ~OFT **MIGHT** make announcement on 22nd December

Sarah McCarthy-Fry also gave comment to MSE on Monday -

Exchequer Secretary to the Treasury Sarah McCarthy-Fry MP said:
      "The Supreme Court decision is obviously very disappointing for the many consumers who feel they haven't been getting a fair deal on bank charges. The OFT is considering the judgement in detail and will report back in the next few months.
      "In the meantime we are focussing on ensuring we have a fairer system of charges for the future. We hope to do this through a voluntary agreement with the banks, but we don't rule out further options if a voluntary agreement doesn't deliver the changes we need - greater transparency and more proportionate charges.
      "Through the Financial Services Bill we are also legislating to give consumers the ability to take a group action through the courts, where in the future there is misselling or abuse on the parts of banks."
      She also said to the Scotsman

Sarah McCarthy-Fry, Exchequer Secretary to the Treasury, said: "The Government will work with the OFT and FSA to reach a new framework for fairer bank charges going forward."

She said it would try to reach a voluntary agreement with the banks, but warned that the Government would "take action" if this did not work.
      #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X