• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Morally bankrupt Britain has turned into a nation of petty criminals with no sense of

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morally bankrupt Britain has turned into a nation of petty criminals with no sense of

Britain is turning into a nation of criminals with little sense of guilt, a study warns today. Nearly two out of five men and women admit to an offence such as fare dodging or shoplifting in the past five years

More...

Britain is turning into a nation of criminals with little sense of guilt, a study warns today.

Nearly two out of five men and women admit to an offence such as fare dodging or shoplifting in the past five years.
    More than half do not see the fear of getting caught as a deterrent. And 57 per cent would not let worry about losing their job get in the way of them committing a crime.
    The study commissioned by G4S Security Services (UK) into moral attitudes to crime highlights a sharp divide between the generations.
    Of those aged 16-24, one in seven - 14 per cent - think it is ethically acceptable to dodge a fare on public transport, more than double the proportion of any other age group.
    One in ten of the same age group think it is acceptable to enter a music or sports event without paying, compared with just 1 per cent of those aged over 55.
    Douglas Greenwell, sales and marketing director of G4S, said: "Our findings reveal much about our attitude to crime.
    "So many people see large organisations as a morally acceptable target nowadays that they don't appear to have any feelings of guilt about committing crimes against those businesses.
    "This is why firms, from retailers to train operating companies, have to prodencetect their revenue by taking the issue of security seriously."
    According to G4S, which surveyed 1,002 16 to 64-year-olds, Britons admit to committing a range of crimes in the last five years.
    It calculates that more than 700,000 have used company data for personal gain and nearly one in three (29 per cent) have stolen stationery from work for personal use, which equates to 7.61million.
    The research provides eviof a high level of criminal activity against retailers, with one in 11 of those aged 16 to 24 admitting to "grazing", consuming items while walking around a supermarket and not paying for them.
    On a regional level, London had the highest percentage of those who thought dodging fares was acceptable, at 11 per cent. This was closely followed by the South East/East Anglia with 9 per cent.
    Almost one in three adults (31 per cent) said a sense of guilt would not prevent them from committing a crime.
    Instead of relying on their conscience to determine whether they should engage in a criminal act, they make a calculated risk-reward analysis.
    Visible security deterrents such as security officers or CCTV cameras are among the most effective solutions to deter crime.
    Cameras would stop 40 per cent from committing a crime, and 38 per cent would be deterred by the fear of public humiliation, such as being frogmarched across a store by a security officer.
    Yet only 28 per cent would be discouraged by concern over being ostracised by their friends and peers.
    Last edited by Paule; 14th May 2008, 10:18:AM. Reason: added story

Re: Morally bankrupt Britain has turned into a nation of petty criminals with no sens

There is certainly a decline in moral standards.

Too many people who would represent themselves as moral, think it's fine to defraud/steal from large companies/public bodies. The only determinant for some is whether they'll get caught.

Others have posted on here about their feelings for those attempting to avoid their debts on spurious grounds - not because they can't afford them, but simply because they don't want to pay what they agreed. This is all symptomatic of the same moral attitude - "I'll get what I can and pay as little as I can".

Comment

Re: Morally bankrupt Britain has turned into a nation of petty criminals with no sens

They always fall back on the stationery nicking statistics when they have these type of articles don't they.
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

feeling guilty about that Post It pad I 'acquired' from work now! But I am happy to declare, I've never shoplifted a thing or dodged a fare!
        "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

I would agree with the article and I think a great deal of the blame for the slide in morals can be laid squarely at the (clay) feet of our politicians - and that means all of them.

That is not to say I do not believe people are responsible for their actions and that the government are to blame for everything, but this is one area where they can lead by example, but have manifestly and spectacularly failed to do.

There will always be those for whom any illegal activity is abhorrent, but a great many people take a "monkey see, monkey do" attitude towards their behaviour and will simply copy what they read in the press.

Our so-called leaders are nothing more than swine with their snouts in the trough. We are fleeced from cradle to grave and even beyond, with punitive taxes and ludicrously high prices for goods and services.

"That if gold rust, what then will iron do?" “Canterbury Tales” Geoffrey Chaucer (1343-1400)

How can we expect people to remain honest if all they see every day are stories of how expenses have been fiddled, family members paid tens of thousands of pounds for doing nothing, shopping lists from John Lewis for second homes, foreign travel, television licences paid, council tax paid, the list is endless.

It began with Derry Irvine, the then Lord Chancellor, over ten years ago, after he described spending £650,000 of public money on decorating his flat as a "noble cause" and paid £59,000 of that sum for wallpaper and it continues today with Derek Conway - and many others - paying his family members and friends and Michael Martin and his wife’s £4000 of taxi fares to go shopping with her friends. Not to mention the tens of thousands of pounds of public money he has spent attempting to hide this activity from the public and without a shred of remorse for his actions - like the grubby little union shop-steward that he is.

With "leaders" like this is it any wonder ordinary folk take what they can?

Comment

Also I think it all stems from "nipping things in the bud"

In the old days when I worked on the tills at a BS if you were even 5p out - you stayed until you balanced. £5.00 a superior would crary out an inspection. For £25.00 error you could be subject to a visit from HO .

It has never left me and I would not even take a stamp from work without putting the money in.

Now it seems some Banks have people swindling thousands and they dont even know?
            "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

"Always reach for the moon, if you miss you'll end up among the stars"

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X