• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Post Office comeback

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Office comeback

Post offices earmarked for closure could be taken over by a local council, it has been reported.

Essex County Council is understood to be the first authority to enter negotiations with the Post Office to take over the running of some of the 32 threatened branches in its region, the BBC said.

The council is negotiating a buy-out price from the Post Office and told the broadcaster some of the branches could be saved within months.
    The Post Office announced the closure of thousands of branches in 2006 in a bid to cut losses of millions of pounds a week.

It says it is willing to work with other local authorities on similar takeovers.
    Essex Council leader Lord Hanningfield told the BBC he was "delighted" the council might be able to save some post offices under its "unique and groundbreaking" deal.

He said: "There is a huge amount of work still to do and we will now be conducting our own assessment on the merits and financial viability of each post office, together with the needs of the communities that they serve.
    "Because of this, it is too early to mention specific branches at this stage."
    Essex County Council moved to allay fears council tax payers could subsidise what has been a loss-making business by stating it believes it can make a profit by combining postal services with council services.
    It hopes each branch it runs will break even within three years

Re: Post Office comeback

OK Sappy the first is in your area, it will probably be big in your local press.
    I for one am against the PO's closing, but then I am not very well up on the business side of things.
    It's going to be up to the local councils apparently, so if you want your PO to stay open, maybe a good idea to let them know your feelings. Just a thought, after all we are trying to get people on benefits to use the PO basic accounts and they are proving to be great.

Comment

Thats good news.

If the council run them they could combine with contact centres for things like benefits applications etc.
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

True Ame, I think the main concern is if they don't make a profit. The council will start to subsidise from council tax, which would cause a bit of a rumpus lol.

Comment

well I think thats a worthwhile spend of council tax tbh. Too many post offices are closing in areas where they are most needed. So long as its done right I think it is a good move.
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Two sides to the coin again here I'm afraid Ame imo, people who rarely use the PO will no doubt have their say on this. Although we can argue that the elderly don,t use school etc and so their council tax should be adjusted accordingly, it doesn't work like that as we know.
            Anyway I am all for them staying open

Comment

well some people are exceedingly selfish. Even if I didnt use schools I would still pay to improve the education of future generations.

People who ponce about in 4x4's and to whom it doesnt matter if its 15 miles to nearest PO ought to look at the bigger picture.
              #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X