• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Retail ombudsman set up to aid consumer disputes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Retail ombudsman set up to aid consumer disputes

[QUOTE=des8;504502]
    Originally posted by teaboy2 View Post

"With the huge rise in internet shopping, many of the complaints he expects to deal with will concern deliveries. His office has already been contacted by four people whose presents have been left in wheelie bins and then taken away."

So, what does he think he can do about that. Retailers are no responsible for that, the courier company is, as the retailer has met its obligations to ship the products, its the negligence on either the couriers part for leaving items in the wheelie bins, or on the consumers part for giving instructions to do so reference safe place to leave items if they are not at home when they are delivered! Though most retailers require signatures, so if courier left it without signature when a signature is required the courier is at fault and liable for it. First the customer needs to inform the retailer and allow them time to issue a claim with the courier and for the courier to carrying out and complete is investigation and relevent complaints procedure, not go straight to a 3rd party ombudsman.

Tell you what my reply to the ombudsman would be in such cases, where the consumer has not contacted us first or in cases where courier has lost the parcel or left it in the wheelie bin (all items we ship require signature on delivery). It be "**** Off" in polite and no uncertain terms!

Whilst being in sympathy with the main thrust of your comments, Teaboy, as the retailer appoints the courier, delivery IS the retailers responsibility.
    The customer's contract is with the retailer and so if courier messes up it is for the retailer to sort it.
    The Consumer Contract Regulations make it clear that the seller is responsible for the condition of the goods until they are received by the consumer
    Just to add, my main concern is actually that they will take complaints against retailers that are non members too. So not only will we have disgruntled customers who's complaints we have found to be unfounded contacting us like they do, but also the ombudsman as well according to the last paragraph of the moneysavingexperts article.
    Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
      Their ''Press Officer'' is Neville Thurlbeck - about whom a quick google will tell you a fair bit.
      You're kidding right?

He was the News of the World hack that was charged with and pleaded guilty to phone hacking. If that wasn't bad enough a judge made a finding of blackmail against him in the Max Mosley case and he wasn't even on trial.

Comment

Indeed !

Okay second chances and all that, but it isn't a fabulous start. Really doesn't sit right with me all round at the moment.
        Attached Files
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Lol this gets even better.

So if i refuse as a non member to do what the ombudsman thinks i should do, am i going to be blackmailed or have my phone hacked??
          Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

Comment

BBC Radio 4 'You & Yours' interview with Dean Dunham
            The Retail Ombudsman speaking on You & Yours on BBC Radio 4, January 5, 2015
            Please note that Dean's interview is at 29mins 20 secs. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04wtcj9

(not hugely exciting but thought you might be interested)

''HOPING''

''won't be a statutory ombudsman''

ie. if you win and the retailer refuse to pay, you can't just enforce in court like you can with the FOS, you'd have to start over.
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

So if i refuse as a non member to do what the ombudsman thinks i should do, am i going to be blackmailed or have my phone hacked??
              Don't be daft teaboy, they be too busy counting their back handers to do owt criminal lol

Comment

Oh yes, i can see them swimming in pools of cash from their fees and charges (and bank handers) - Just like Scrooge McDuck lol!

Comment

I don't know about that but you have to question the integrity of the Retail Ombudsman for employing someone who was only released from prison 6 months ago for conspiracy to unlawfully intercept communications and who Justice Eady accused of giving evidence in the Mosely v Newsgroup case which was ''demonstrably false''.

Comment

Agreed - i can not see how they can promote honesty, morale values and being unbiased when they have employed someone with such a record in such a position of authority! Especially where that position is Director of Communications when we all know what his expertise in communications actually are!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X