• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

We DID intimidate customers with fake debt collection letters, admit bosses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We DID intimidate customers with fake debt collection letters, admit bosses

We DID intimidate customers with fake debt collection letters, admit bosses

• HSBC, Barclays, Santander and RBS/Natwest all admit using the trick
    • Treasury committee said banks are 'pulling the wool over customers' eyes'
    • Labour MP John Mann: Practice 'obviously designed to intimidate people'
    • Release follows campaign highlighting the scandal by the Daily Mail

The admissions, which follow a campaign by the Daily Mail to highlight the scandal, came in a series of letters released last night by MPs. In one of them, the chief executive of Barclays confessed the bank had used a number of ‘debt collection brands’.

Last edited by vanman; 6th September 2014, 11:36:AM.
    Don't let them grind you down
    Tags: None

Re: We DID intimidate customers with fake debt collection letters, admit bosses Read

I was looking for this online to post here after seeing it in the paper today.. You beat me too it lol...

I wonder if this could turn into another PPI type scandal for the banks.. Class action anyone?

Comment

Re: We DID intimidate customers with fake debt collection letters, admit bosses

Not a huge fan of the mail but thanks for that link. :tinysmile_twink_t2:
      I somehow cannot see this gaining momentum in the same way the mis-selling of PPI but I would like to see a pound of flesh stripped off these bullies who caused so much fear and panic. Unfortunately scandals concerning the big banks are more news worthy than those concerning the same tactics used by DCAs.

An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good'!
      ~ Anonymous

Comment

The worrying points of this are the risks associated with getting monies allegedly owed vs the success rates of intimidation............the consumer once defaulted was unimportant as in their priorities......the recovery process a "rat race"

Comment

Bet they wont hurry themselves to get in touch with those affected.
          Having been a " victim" and then being enpowered by Legal Beagles I consider my self lucky but I am not holding my breath
          Last edited by dogtired; 6th September 2014, 17:33:PM.
          Never give up, Never surrender.

Comment

Interesting admissions. I guess they think consumers, en masse, are too weak to do stuff like http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2013/882.html http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2013/982.html http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/...011/B3.htmland http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2009/46.html

I suspect they are correct but hope some are able to strike a blow or 2 for the little guy.

M

Comment

In my experience it is that consumers are far to short of experience or educated facts in chasing many complaints of this nature.............meaning they give up too soon & do not follow up what could be totally reasonable arguments/disputes, ignorance is our enemy in a lot of cases & the said take advantage.

Comment

Of course in defence of the individual consumer pushing these cases forwards, Roberts won, but pretty much lost everything because of the massive costs involved in bringing the case.
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                  Of course in defence of the individual consumer pushing these cases forwards, Roberts won, but pretty much lost everything because of the massive costs involved in bringing the case.
                  Which is a huge reason why a lot of stuff that desperately needs looking at rarely does..........instead we rely on someone willing to take the "whack" ............regulation dare not.

I was purely referring to basics & the statistical trickle that hides the swollen dam behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                    I only know what is on bailii. I know sometimes a win isn't really a win EG Durkin but wasn't aware of that in Roberts.

M1

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X