• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Five arrested in Copycat website raids – tsecrime

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Five arrested in Copycat website raids – tsecrime

In a crackdown on copycat web sites, by the National Trading Standards eCrime Team (NTSeCT), five people have been arrested following raids on four properties across the UK. The crackdown taken last week also sees the suspension of at least 25 copycat websites. Alongside these enforcement efforts, National Trading Standards is issuing advice for consumers […]

More...

Tags: None

Re: Five arrested in Copycat website raids – tsecrime

Martin Lewis, creator of MoneySavingExpert, who provided the voiceover for the National Trading Standards video above, says
    “Sadly, vigilance is necessary even when using official services. Copycat websites disguise themselves as the real thing, but charge you for a useless service. I’ve lost count of the number of people who contact me upset and want to know how to get their cash back. Generally that’s very difficult, which is why you need to be tooled up in advance with the knowledge National Trading Standards is putting out today. If you want a Government service, go through www.gov.uk – don’t use search engines.”
    Top tips to avoid being duped include:
    • Use GOV.UK. It is the easiest and most secure place to find government services and information online
    • Instead of searching for the services you need via a search engine, go to GOV.UK and use the search function there. Then you’ll know you’re on the official site
    • If you do use a search engine, look out for the differences between natural search results and paid-for search results.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

To whom would one report such a site? I happen to know of one currently for sale that is a direct (to the best of my knowledge totally unlawful) copy of another site.

Comment

Me and I can pass it onto TSeCrime directly.

Or report it here
        Spotted a copycat website? Report it here!

Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Originally posted by Tools View Post
          Me and I can pass it onto TSeCrime directly.
          Thanks - I've also just spotted the details at the bottom of this thread:

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...ook-for-Gov-uk

I'll get the info together to pass on. It's not a .gov site, but is a business copyrighted site - is that still covered?

Comment

Yes you can, although you should also report it to the legitimate business owner too as there will be intellectual property and copyright issues.
            Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

Comment

That has already been done, thanks. :beagle:

Comment

Unofficial sites: three examples

Taxreturngateway
                Who4 repaid some clients of this website – who were charged up to £1,000 to file tax returns – after complaints people had thought it was the online payment service run by the Government.
                www.drivinglicence.uk.com
                Motorists paid a £40 “service fee” to renew their car tax disc through this website, even though it can be obtained free from the DVLA.
                www.e111.org.uk
                Consumer Focus warned in 2011 that people were “effectively tricked into paying an unnecessary additional fee” of £9.95 for a European Health Insurance Card, which can be obtained free from the NHS. However the website says it offers to check for errors on the application.
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

This may be a useful link for people booking anything official:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/fam...pycat-websites

Comment

Or even better this www.gov.uk

Comment

Arrested: (From left) James Wyatt, Michael Hughes and Stephen Oliver

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/new...#ixzz37R6TpuOi
                      #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X