• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Wonga to pay redress for unfair debt collection practices – FCA - £2.6m to 45k custs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wonga to pay redress for unfair debt collection practices – FCA - £2.6m to 45k cu

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
    Yes I understand that and it is misleading behaviour - however in Wonga's case the 'DCA' werent even set up as separate legal entitys at all - just invented headers on paper (I can't find any uploads of letters sent out by either chainey or baker if anyone spots any can you post them)
    Yes and i am sure the legality of the company is a factor, however there is also the issue of misleading use of affiliated entities, when the secondary company sends a demand, the question surely ,has to be a asked why is this demand coming from someone else ?
    If it is a solicitor prior to taking action or if the debt has been sold or assigned fair enough, but otherwise the answer can only be to intimidate the debtor surely.

Comment

Re: Wonga to pay redress for unfair debt collection practices – FCA - £2.6m to 45k cu

Originally posted by andy58 View Post
      Yes and i am sure the legality of the company is a factor, however there is also the issue of misleading use of affiliated entities, when the secondary company sends a demand, the question surely ,has to be a asked why is this demand coming from someone else ?
      If it is a solicitor prior to taking action or if the debt has been sold or assigned fair enough, but otherwise the answer can only be to intimidate the debtor surely.
      absolutely. Wonder if the FCA have it on their radar?
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Re: Wonga to pay redress for unfair debt collection practices – Financial Conduct Aut

I did once start a list of in house debt collectors, but gave up as there were far too many.

I had a letter on Friday from a supposed 'reputable' company, Carrick Read Insolvency threatening proceedings.

Over what?

A £63 debt FFS!!!!!!

It's OK for me to laugh at it, but a lot of people would have been really worried by it. It is now carefully filed in the bin with an electronic copy ready to make a complaint.

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
          absolutely. Wonder if the FCA have it on their radar?
          I think that it is a natural extension of the above, presumably the FCA were able to sanction because as ancillary credit services they should have been licensed, in the position were they were registered companies they can still be sanctioned for unfair collection practices(I would have thought)even if they have one.

Comment

I know this is derailing the thread a bit but this is pertinent. I've just gone back through some 2009 correspondence with the bank (let's call them HBOS for clarity) and BOS and there is definitely some confusion one my part as to who I'm actually dealing with, inasmuch as sending out letters on one issue to what appear to be two different entities. Only later in the chain of letters do they let slip that Blair, Oliver & Scott was actually part of the bank!

Comment

Re: Wonga to pay redress for unfair debt collection practices – Financial Conduct Aut

Please can someone start on bully bailiffs!

Comment

Still haven't found headed paper letters just emails

aka
                http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...p?t=2658467#10

Take Notice:
                Amount You Owe £1,402.74.
                Date You Must Pay by: 12 pm on 19 Aug 2010
                We have written to you on two previous occasions regarding your debt to Wonga and have not yet received a satisfactory offer of repayment. We are now instructed to commence formal debt recovery action against you. This may include legal action or in some circumstances insolvency action.
                Where legal action is taken against you, we will claim the costs of taking such action, and this may cost you significantly more. We are also authorised to arrange for a debt collector to visit you at your home. Your credit agreement with Wonga provides for the costs of such a visit to be passed on to you.
                What you must do:
                You must call us to make payment within 3 days of the date of this letter. We will not write to you again before taking action against you.
                Our number is 0844 842 9110
                Act Now:
                Contact us immediately to arrange repayment of £1,402.74. You can make your payment by debit or credit card.
                Yours sincerley,
                Barker and Lowe
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Found nothing scanned etc online either.

A few people/journalists are askign for examples if people have them.

e.g. https://twitter.com/paullewismoney/s...95454884401152

EDIT: And you've replied to him since I first saw that tweet. :o
                  Last edited by Nibbler; 25th June 2014, 15:17:PM. Reason: correction

Comment

Think this Proves Wonga have friends in high places No Procecution no Justice
                    Take them before the Courts

Comment

Ha! :lol:

#FakeWongaLawFirms

Comment

Domain name:
                        barkerandlowe.co.uk

Registrant:
                        Wonga.com

Registrant type:
                        Unknown

Registrant's address:
                        ATTN insert domain name here
                        care of Network Solutions
                        PO Box 459
                        Drums
                        PA
                        18 222
                        United States

Data validation:
                        Registrant contact details validated by Nominet on 10-Dec-2012

Registered through:
                        Network Solutions, LLC
                        URL: http://www.networksolutions.com

Registrar:
                        Key-Systems GmbH t/a NETWORKSOLUTIONS [Tag = NETWORKSOLUTIONS]
                        URL: http://www.networksolutions.com

Relevant dates:
                        Registered on: 12-Nov-2009
                        Expiry date: 12-Nov-2015
                        Last updated: 26-Nov-2013

Registration status:
                        Registered until expiry date.

Name servers:
                        ns65.worldnic.com
                        ns66.worldnic.com

WHOIS lookup made at 16:44:36 25-Jun-2014
                        #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by Nibbler View Post
                          Found nothing scanned etc online either.

A few people/journalists are askign for examples if people have them.

e.g. https://twitter.com/paullewismoney/s...95454884401152

EDIT: And you've replied to him since I first saw that tweet. :o

lol, yes, I've done google images, all attachments of threads containing WONGA on CAG, MSE and here, GOODF etc and no buggers uploaded one from either ''company''
                          #staysafestayhome

Comment

This sounds a lot, but the reality is it represents just two and a half weeks of profit for Wonga and they escaped with no fine. Personally I think they got off very lightly for blatant fraud.

Comment

Comment

Think that's over these letters
                                #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X