• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

The taxman can now read your diary & much else

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The taxman can now read your diary & much else

Taxman can now read your diary - Walletpop UK

Re: The taxman can now read your diary & much else

Finance Act 2007 (sections 82 to 86 (Opens new window) and Schedule 23 (Opens new window)) included provisions dealing with search warrants, production orders and powers of arrest. These apply the rules in the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 (PACE) to all HMRC criminal investigations. Previously they applied only when investigating criminal offences involving former HM Customs and Excise functions. Some tax specific powers such as the power of arrest in section 72(9) of VATA 1994 have been replaced with the general powers in PACE. PACE does not apply in Scotland but this Finance Act introduced a similar set of powers that can be used in criminal investigations conducted there. These changes were announced on 21 March 2007 in Budget Note 78.

What criminal investigation powers does HMRC have?
    Criminals, including organised criminals, seek to attack the UK’s tax and duty systems to steal taxpayer’s money. To counter this HMRC needs similar criminal investigation powers to those that are available to other law enforcement agencies. In particular it needs powers to:
    • apply for orders requiring information to be produced - production orders
    • apply for search warrants
    • make arrests
    • search suspects and premises following arrest.
    PACE
    In England and Wales these powers are made available through the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 (PACE). In Northern Ireland they are made available through the Police and Criminal Evidence (Northern Ireland) Order 1989.
    The Finance Act 2007 amends PACE and the PACE (NI) Order so that they can be used for all HMRC criminal investigations. The only exception is when HMRC is acting as an agent for another government department.
    The advantage of using PACE is that it provides a set of powers that are designed for use by law enforcement agencies. It means that tax crime is tackled in the same way as other crime.
    Not all the powers in PACE are made available to HMRC. For example, HMRC does not take fingerprints, charge or bail suspects. This has to be done by the police.
    Some of the powers in PACE are modified for HMRC. For example, a search warrant may allow HMRC to search persons found on the premises without the need for arrest. This allows HMRC to search a bookkeeper who may have evidence in a briefcase or laptop when a company’s premises are searched, but who is not considered a suspect.
    Scotland
    PACE does not apply in Scotland. Finance Act 2007 introduced a special set of powers that apply in Scotland within the Criminal Law (Consolidation)(Scotland) Act 1995 and the Criminal Procedure (Scotland) Act 1995. These powers cover the same areas as PACE.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Whatever it is it'll be abused as usual

Comment

This doesn't cause me any qualms because I am poor, but I expect a few of the Tory faithful are quaking in their boots.
        Scottish Wildcat Association, conserving Scotland's critically endangered wild felines

Comment

ditto and my cra files will back that up
          If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of payments.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Zazen.Warrior View Post
            This doesn't cause me any qualms because I am poor, but I expect a few of the Tory faithful are quaking in their boots.
            Me too, not only am I poor, I don't keep a diary either, so I'm not worried in the slightest
            Is no longer here

Comment

Any extension of powers by the state should worry everybody, regardless of wealth or status.

Comment

As always this does back up the fact we all need to be careful about what we post on social sites
                If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of payments.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Zazen.Warrior View Post
                  Why, because it is not possible to be poor and a Tory?

Comment

pmsl - I'm a poor Tory
                    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                      pmsl - I'm a poor Tory
                      I always assumed you were liberal
                      "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                      (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                        pmsl - I'm a poor Tory
                        Me too
                        Is no longer here

Comment

I'm a sort of libertarian in that I do believe the state does have a small part to play in peoples lives but shouldn't be all encompassing like today. The executive need to trust the rest of us & stop treating us all as criminals in the making

Comment

Completely agree with Righty.

Nats, I've been waivering for a number of years but when it comes to X in the box time I just can't bring myself to vote LibDem.

I am pretty happy with ConDem though (well so far anyway)

Lets not forget this tax inspector powers ditty came in under Labour, not Tory's.
                            #staysafestayhome

Comment

Well I'm not bothered at all, my other half's ex wife was a Tax Inspector and judging by her they are all complete *£$&^@ anyway.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X