• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Date set for House of Lords bank charges appeal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Date set for House of Lords bank charges appeal

More...

Re: Date set for House of Lords bank charges appeal

Date set for House of Lords bank charges appeal

Monday, 20 Apr 2009 16:15

The House of Lords has set a date to hear the banks' appeal against the Office of Fair Trading's (OFT) overdraft charges for June 22nd.

The date is slightly earlier than campaigners were expecting, as the banks still had time to make their petition.

However, customers hoping to reclaim overdraft charges from their banks if the OFT wins will still have some time to wait, Julian Siddle from consumer champion site Legal Beagles has warned.

"There's always the possibility they could launch another appeal to the European courts," Mr Siddle said, as the European Courts of Justice is the last place they could take their appeal.

However, even if the OFT wins at the House of Lords and the banks accept the decision, there is still further legal wrangling to go through before customers will see any cash.

"The main question we get is 'when will we get paid?'" Mr Siddle said.

"But it is a lot more complex than that. If the House of Lords upholds the judgement and the banks do not take it any further, it will have to go back to the courts to decide what is a fair charge.

"Only a court can decide that, the OFT can't," Mr Siddle said.

"I think we are still looking at 2010."

A group of banks is fighting the OFT's claim that it has the right to decide if bank charges are unfair. If the OFT wins, it is widely expected to judge the charges unfair and demand banks pay back billions of pounds to customers.
    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

If the banks lose does anyone think it possible we'll return to the status quo in that the banks having lost will simply continue to refuse to enter court in order to justify their charges - and will simply do as before by offering 'without prejudice' settlements - if so it will have all been for nothing other than the banks have been able continuing to claw in billions - any comments?

Comment

Originally posted by righty View Post
        If the banks lose does anyone think it possible we'll return to the status quo in that the banks having lost will simply continue to refuse to enter court in order to justify their charges - and will simply do as before by offering 'without prejudice' settlements - if so it will have all been for nothing other than the banks have been able continuing to claw in billions - any comments?
        Nope.

I think the OFT will take the fairness into court to have it tested properly to bring a final resolution to the matter. Anything less would be stupid.

I think its all in the litigation agreement.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X