• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Nurse struck off for secret filming

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nurse struck off for secret filming

A nurse has been struck off the register with immediate effect after secretly filming for a BBC Panorama programme exposing neglect of elderly patients in a hospital.
    Margaret Haywood, 58, of Liverpool, recorded appalling conditions at the Royal Sussex Hospital in Brighton for a BBC documentary screened in July 2005.
    There were gasps of disbelief and Ms Haywood broke down in tears when told she had been found guilty of misconduct by the Nursing and Midwifery Council.
    She had told the hearing in central London: "I was convinced that it was the right thing to do at the time as, in fact, I had reported the issues and nothing had been done. I felt I owed it to the people on the ward."
    Ms Haywood wept as she was struck off and was too upset to speak after the hearing.
    The panel said that, given the seriousness of her misconduct, "it would not be in the public interest for her to be able to practise as a nurse".
    Linda Read, chair of the tribunal, said: "In the view of the panel, this was a major breach of the code of conduct. A patient should be able to trust a nurse with his/her physical condition and psychological wellbeing without that confidential information being disclosed to others.
    "Although the conditions on the ward were dreadful, it was not necessary to breach confidentiality to seek to improve them by the method chosen. The panel is of the view that the misconduct found is fundamentally incompatible with being a nurse. "
    Dr Karen Johnson, representing Ms Haywood, told the tribunal that the documentary had an "immense" impact.
    She said: "It is through programmes like Panorama that awareness is raised. The results were local and throughout the country, and there has since been an ongoing campaign to improve the conditions. She was an exceedingly good nurse who always put patients first and filming second."

Re: Nurse struck off for secret filming

There will be riots round here at that result.
    The whole of Brighton was and is grateful to her for exposing such disgusting conditions.

She did what she did 'in the public interest' to improve the quality of local peoples lives and care.

Shocked and disgusted..........
    "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Did the programme not blur out the faces of the people on the ward?

Surely revealing and fighting for better conditions for people makes her a better nurse?

Very sad.

Here's the filming http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/avdb/new...ba_16x9_bb.asx
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
        Surely revealing and fighting for better conditions for people makes her a better nurse?
        You'd think, wouldn't you.

Then again a nurse was disciplined recently for offering to say a little prayer with a sick patient so there is no telling what goes on, if anything in these peoples' heads.

Comment

Disgraceful treatment by this council who like the BMA are determined to stop their inadequates being exposed As for the crap "she could have made her concerns known via other means" she did & got absolutely no where

If anything the nurses who SHOULD have been in the dock are those who worked knowing of these condition yet did & said nothing. It should be they who are struck off not this lady

All the patients gave permission to be identified any who didn't weren't broadcast

Also, as suggested, I do hope there's a public show of support for this lady not only at the hospital but also the council
          Last edited by righty; 17th April 2009, 13:47:PM.

Comment

I have no doubt however that the BBC will feel a moral obligation to her - and she will be offered an investigative journalism job in fairly short order, with pay which strongly rivals that of a Nurse.

I agree that she has been extremely ill-treated by the Nursing Council.

Tom
            I will not provide support by Private Message under any circumstances. This is for your protection and mine. Any advice I give is my own opinion and carries no legal weight. Check it before you use it!
            Over £1200 claimed in several actions against several organisations.

Comment

Sent this

communications@nmc-uk.org

Madam/Sir

Please pass my congratulations on to your committee who have struck off a nurse for exposing the scandal in
              Brighton.

You have done more in this one act to bring your organization into disrepute than any whistle-blower ever has

The nurses who should have been in the dock were those who worked in those conditions & did nothing about it - one thing is for sure they are certainly not fit to care for the sick

Your organization has shown that your more concerned with secrecy at the expense of the vulnerable. You should be thoroughly ashamed of yourselves - though I doubt you will be somehow having seen you perform on TV you strike me as an arrogant bunch at the best of times

Yours Disgusted

Righty (No I signed my real name)

Comment

Following in Righty's vein I sent this:

Sirs

I write in regard to your idiotic striking off of a nurse who was doing the right thing by bringing the extremely poor care of patients to the attentions of the media – when by so doing she VASTLY improved the care of those patients and many more like them. She brought the failures and poor care to the attention of her senior team and was ignored. Regardless of any process you may have in place (which I have no doubt she did not trust and noone ever will trust) she did right by those patients and should be lauded for her actions.

The ones who should be in your dock are the nurses and management staff who presided over these conditions AND DID NOTHING.

I am thoroughly disgusted with your decision which brings your entire professional organisation into disrepute. You appear to prize cloak and dagger management above the care of patients – and that is inexcusable.

Tom
                I will not provide support by Private Message under any circumstances. This is for your protection and mine. Any advice I give is my own opinion and carries no legal weight. Check it before you use it!
                Over £1200 claimed in several actions against several organisations.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X