• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Class action over overdraft fees in Atlanta - SUNTRUST Banks Inc.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Class action over overdraft fees in Atlanta - SUNTRUST Banks Inc.

Lawsuit Filed Against SunTrust Banks, Inc. Regarding Overdraft Fees

Lawsuit claims that SunTrust engages in unfair and bad faith business practices with respect to its assessment of overdraft fees on consumer checking accounts.
    Atlanta, GA (PRWEB) April 10, 2009 -- Atlanta-based law firm Webb, Klase & Lemond, LLC has filed a class action lawsuit against SunTrust Banks, Inc. alleging that SunTrust engages in fraudulent, deceptive, unfair, and bad faith business practices with respect to its assessment of overdraft fees on consumer checking accounts. The suit also claims that SunTrust, which is headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, has engaged in improper and unfair practices in order to increase the number and amount of overdraft and/or service fees imposed upon consumers' accounts. The case, styled Peterson v. SunTrust Banks, Inc., was filed in the Superior Court of Fulton County, Georgia on April 8, 2009 and has been assigned Case No. 2009CV167326.
    According to the suit, Webb, Klase & Lemond's client had overdraft fees deducted from her consumer checking account even though there were sufficient funds in her account to cover the transactions in question.

In addition, the suit alleges that SunTrust routinely enforces a policy whereby charges incurred are posted to consumer accounts in order of largest to smallest amounts, even when larger charges occur days after smaller charges in an effort to maximize the number and amount of overdraft and/or service fees imposed upon consumer accounts. SunTrust's policy allows it to post items to an account in an order that is not chronologically based and is not based on any other proper rationale.

Plaintiff asserts that SunTrust could easily program its software systems to minimize insufficient funds fees without any increased costs to SunTrust.

Instead, SunTrust has programmed its systems to order charges in such a way as to maximize fee income. The Complaint alleges that at the very least, these practices violate SunTrust's obligation to act in good faith and to deal fairly with customers; at worst, they amount to fraudulent, deceptive, and unfair business practices.

Insufficient/unavailable funds penalty 1
    Extended overdraft fee2
    $ 35.00
    $ 36.00 (effective 5/1/09)
    $ 35.00
    $ 36.00 (effective 5/1/09)

Might be worth keeping an eye on.
    Last edited by Amethyst; 10th April 2009, 21:06:PM.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Re: Class action over overdraft fees in Atlanta - SUNTRUST Banks Inc.

I have no doubt whatsoever that the same system is operational in the UK too.

I am sure lots of people have encountered debits coming from their account in an order that did not seem logical.
    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Tools it is. Also this was a known practice of Providian who would 'lose' payments only 'finding' them after the penalty charge had been applied. The local District Attorney threatend them with prosecution for fraud......... in fact he may have gone ahead

Comment

Interesting righty

Connecticut Attorney General's Office Press Release
        Statement Issued On Investigation Of Providian Financial Corporation
        November 8, 1999
        The following is a statement from Attorney General Richard Blumenthal on the issuance of a Civil Investigative Demand to Providian Financial Corporation, the nation's sixth largest credit card provider: "We are seeking certain information from the Providian Financial Corporation as part of our investigation into the company's credit card practices. At a meeting with company representatives today, we were assured that Providian will cooperate and comply with our requests, so that we can conclude our investigation as promptly as possible. Complaints from consumers against Providian include: failure to credit payments in a timely manner to customer accounts, charges for unauthorized services, and inadequate disclosure of interest rates and fees."
        http://urielw.com/deception3.htm - Providian agreed June 28, 2000 to a demand from bank regulators to reimburse its customers a minimum of $300 million for misleading and improperly billing them. In addition, Providian will pay a $5.5 million fine to the City of San Francisco.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I know AME

I was working in a practice in Worthing when I took an unsolicited phone call from Providian asking for a meeting to discuss the possibility of becoming their UK lawyers........ My bosses were all for it but before I would agree (after all if it went pear-shaped as head of department it would be me carrying the can) I phoned a colleague in the States who warned me to say away at all costs I took his advice & about a year later their behaviour was exposed
          ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
          Almost forgot the District Attorney did threaten the Providian Lawyer with disbarment & jail for lying to the investigation. Whether this happened or not I have no idea
          Last edited by righty; 13th April 2009, 17:11:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Well I ripped this over to my site, so if you'd like the Yank perspective here is it: Class action over overdraft fees in Atlanta - SUNTRUST Banks Inc.

Comment

Hi Curly Have registered

Comment

I noticed

Comment

Will I get email notifications or will I have to visit to see what's been written?

Comment

E-mail of course

Same software as LB.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X