• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Supreme Court - Parliament suspension ruling - 24th Sept 2019

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supreme Court - Parliament suspension ruling - 24th Sept 2019

The judgment has been handed down to rule whether the government suspended parliament lawfully.

The decision to porogue parliament was unlawful.

The advice to the Queen was unlawful, void and of no effect.

Parliament has not been prorogued.

On appeal from

R (on the application of Miller) (Appellant) v The Prime Minister (Respondent)

Cherry and others (Respondents) v Advocate General for Scotland (Appellant) (Scotland)

Unanimous decision made by 11 justices ....

Lady Hale, Lord Reed, Lord Kerr, Lord Wilson, Lord Carnwath, Lord Hodge, Lady Black, Lord Lloyd-Jones, Lady Arden, Lord Kitchin, Lord Sales

#staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps
    Tags: None

Where do we go to from here?

Comment

Parliament reconvenes like it never happened...,.
      24 Sep 2019 [2019] UKSC 41 UKSC 2019/0193 Cherry and others (Respondents) v Advocate General for Scotland (Appellant) (Scotland)
      24 Sep 2019 [2019] UKSC 41

Judgment and summary attached below
      UKSC 2019/0192 R (on the application of Miller) (Appellant) v The Prime Minister (Respondent)
      Attached Files
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Para 70 of Judgment

70. It follows that Parliament has not been prorogued and that this court should make declarations to that effect. We have been told by counsel for the Prime Minister that he will “take all necessary steps to comply with the terms of any declaration made by the court” and we expect him to do so. However, it appears to us that, as Parliament is not prorogued, it is for Parliament to decide what to do next. There is no need for Parliament to be recalled under the Meeting of Parliament Act 1797. Nor has Parliament voted to adjourn or go into recess. Unless there is some Parliamentary rule to the contrary of which we are unaware, the Speaker of the House of Commons and the Lord Speaker can take immediate steps to enable each House to meet as soon as possible to decide upon a way forward. That would, of course, be a proceeding in Parliament which could not be called in question in this or any other court.
        #staysafestayhome

Comment

I was half expecting the SC to rule that the prorogation was lawful but Lady Hale did give some indicators in the summary of the judgment about how it could be deemed lawful e.g. if a reasonable justification can be shown.

What surprised me more was that the decision was unanimous.

Would not be surprised if Boris has another stab at carrying out no deal.
          If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          LEGAL DISCLAIMER
          Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X