• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Top consumer representative quits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top consumer representative quits

By Paul Lewis
    BBC Radio 4's Money Box

Lord David Lipsey thought his position required outspokenness

The chairman of a top consumer advisory body has resigned after just six months in the job.
    Lord Lipsey took over as chairman of the Financial Services Consumer Panel in June and wanted to expand its role to champion consumer issues.
    But he says the Financial Services Authority refused to pay for the extra staff he needed.
    The FSA says the Panel's role is clear and it did not intend to expand it or the resources it provided.
    Push to shove
    The Panel was set up to advise the Financial Services Authority on consumer issues.

Unless we get consumer confidence back we are not going to get financial services back to the role they should be playing

Lord Lipsey

But David Lipsey, who is a Labour peer and economist, told Money Box on BBC Radio 4 that before he was appointed as chairman he set out changes he wanted to make. "When I applied for the job I made absolutely clear that I only wanted to do it on the basis of an expanded role and I thought that had been accepted by the FSA.
    "But when push came to shove it turned out that it hadn't been."
    And he said that the extra resources he wanted were tiny in the context of the FSA's total budget which is more than £320m a year.
    "It's very minimal in terms of an FSA that has just announced its intention to take on 318 extra regulatory staff.
    "At the moment we have two full time staff with one to be appointed.
    "A dozen people would have done it very adequately.
    "If we'd had 2% of the extra staff being put on to supervision we'd have had plenty."
    Consumer confidence
    Asked if he had brought the problems on himself by being too outspoken Lord Lipsey replied,
    "I have been deliberately outspoken because the situation has required outspokenness and I hope that tradition in the panel chairman will survive in the new regime."
    He said that consumers would be the losers from that decision.
    "Consumers would have been better off if the FSA and the Panel had accepted the wider role I spelt out.
    "The case… for a wider role has been immeasurably strengthened by the financial crash.
    "Unless we get consumer confidence back we are not going to get financial services back to the role they should be playing."
    In a statement to Money Box the FSA said,
    "The remit of the role was made clear to all applicants.
    "The Panel has a very important role to play providing independent advice from the consumer point of view on the FSA's policies as they are developed.
    "We will continue to fund the Panel's costs… at similar levels to… previous years."
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Re: Top consumer representative quits

BBC NEWS | Programmes | Moneybox | Top consumer representative quits
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thank God for that, I thought you were quitting Amethyst

Comment

There you go raising my hopes again only to be crushed.
        [edit] you sneaked in a post before me Nattie and totally put my comment out of context. I was thinking of a different "representative"
        Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

I thought NWSM had flounced off YET again!!

Comment

Originally posted by michael View Post
            I thought NWSM had flounced off YET again!!
            Planning that already but not sure which forum. I am thinking of having a FA Cup style draw......

Comment

The FSA dosen't take a blind bit of notice of what the consumer panel says.

Comment

Originally posted by natweststaffmember View Post
                Planning that already but not sure which forum. I am thinking of having a FA Cup style draw......
                Are there actually any left that you haven't been banned from Natty ???

Only joking !

You are here to stay now, a permanent fixture !!

Budgie

Comment

Originally posted by Budgie View Post
                  Are there actually any left that you haven't been banned from Natty ???

Only joking !

You are here to stay now, a permanent fixture !!

Budgie
                  There is nothing permanent

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X