• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bank charges ruling 'was wrong'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bank charges ruling 'was wrong'

A High Court judge was wrong in making a crucial ruling on bank overdraft charges, the Court of Appeal is told.

More...

Bank charges ruling 'was wrong'

Mr Justice Andrew Smith made the original ruling in April

The Court of Appeal has been told that a High Court judge was wrong in making a crucial ruling on bank overdraft charges.
    Seven banks and the Nationwide Building Society are appealing against a ruling by Mr Justice Andrew Smith earlier this year.
    He decided that the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) had the right to decide if overdraft charges were fair or not.
    Thousands of bank customers are awaiting the result of the case.
    Laurence Rabinowitz QC, for RBS NatWest, said some of Mr Justice Smith's reasoning was "not justified" and "schizophrenic".
    Test cases
    The banks and the OFT are in the middle of a series of test cases to decide if the regulator has the authority to rule if bank overdraft charges are fair.

They [overdraft charges] are almost bound to be unfair because Peter is paying for Paul

Mr Justice Waller

Mr Rabinowitz argued that the OFT could not challenge the price banks charge for their overdrafts, because the 1999 Consumer Contract Regulations were not intended to be a method of price control.
    "Assessment of fairness shall not apply to the main subject in the contract or the price charged," he said, quoting a key part of the regulations.
    "The banks say the relevant terms cannot be assessed against the adequacy of the price being charged."
    Mr Rabinowitz said that the OFT had told the banks that in its view, the charges were unfair.
    He argued that it would have serious consequences for the banks if the OFT was able to enforce its view.
    "The charges make up a significant part of the banks' remuneration for providing a bank account," he argued, in relation to both future charges and past charges.
    One of the appeal court judges, Mr Justice Waller, asked if the structure of bank charges, where customers in the red subsidise those who always stay in the black, was inherently unfair.
    "They are almost bound to be unfair because Peter is paying for Paul," he suggested.
    Mr Rabinowitz rejected that view.
    He said that in the context of the whole package of current account services provided by the banks, the charges were not unfair.
    The appeal is expected to last six days, spread over this week and next week.
    Last edited by Amethyst; 28th October 2008, 14:37:PM.

Re: Bank charges ruling 'was wrong'

Well really the banks arent going to say he was right or there would be no appeal ... durrrr lol
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

so wabawich is arguing the banks are just mixed up latter day robin hoods.
      steals from the poor gives to the rich wabawiiiicch wabawhichhhh wabawhitchhhhh
      Advice & opinions of granby are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability
      Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts

Comment

Originally posted by granby View Post
        so wabawich is arguing the banks are just mixed up latter day robin hoods.
        steals from the poor gives to the rich wabawiiiicch wabawhichhhh wabawhitchhhhh

LOL trust you granby!! i reckon i almost understood what you said then!!

Comment

It's the Sheriff of Nottingham who stole from the poor to give to the rich.

No idea who we could cast as Robin Hood though.

That makes us the Merry Men btw.

Comment

Originally posted by Budgie View Post
            It's the Sheriff of Nottingham who stole from the poor to give to the rich.

No idea who we could cast as Robin Hood though.

That makes us the Merry Men btw.
            I'm happy does that count?

Actually no i'm not as car is playing up Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Comment

Happy was a dwarf not a Merry Man.

If we're role playing, can I be maid marian ?
              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                Happy was a dwarf not a Merry Man.

If we're role playing, can I be maid marian ?

granby can be dopey then:tinysmile_aha_t:

Comment

Don't get me going on the subject of Dwarves !!!!!

Comment

Why budgie?
                    Which one are you then? lol

Comment

they are good for playing ten pin bowling
                      they dont half go down the alley fast when you bowl them lol
                      ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
                      Originally posted by mom2mysononly View Post
                      granby can be dopey then:tinysmile_aha_t:
                      i prefer to be known as the litte known 8th dwarf that never appeared on snow white
                      DRUNKY LOL
                      Last edited by granby; 28th October 2008, 17:36:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                      Advice & opinions of granby are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability
                      Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts

Comment

Originally posted by granby View Post
                        they are good for playing ten pin bowling
                        they dont half go down the alley fast when you bowl them lol
                        ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------

i prefer to be known as the litte known 8th dwarf that never appeared on snow white
                        DRUNKY LOL
                        No thats me!! at least i dont wreck things when i'm drunk! maybe you should be known as breaky!!!:tinysmile_twink_t2:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X