• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Confusion over bank charge reclaims

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confusion over bank charge reclaims

Confusion over bank charge reclaims

Alan O'Sullivan, This is Money
    11 August 2008 Chat | Vote | Guide
    Confusion over whether business bank account holders can reclaim their bank charges may force the Financial Ombudsman to launch an official inquiry into the issue.

This is Money first reported in April that business bank account customers will no longer be able to reclaim unfair bank charges due to a landmark ruling in the High Court.

Although the High Court bank charges battle pertains to mainly to personal accounts, the judge at the centre of the case said at the time that business account charges are not penalties as such and can be enforced by banks.
    The Financial Ombudsman's Service (FOS) has been processing business bank account claims since then, but is seeing an increasing number of small banks refusing to take part in the negotiation of business account reclaims.

Emma Parker from the FOS said: 'The judge said he didn't think that business account charges were penalties. It's a technicality, but it's affecting the stance of some of the smaller banks. The big banks are still settling claims on a goodwill basis but smaller banks are taking a step back.

'We're not at a point where we will have to have a formal inquiry yet, but that may be on the cards.'
    The issue of business bank account charges has been frustrating for those small businesses wishing to reclaim their charges over the past few months as the High Court has refused to clarity its ruling.

Official bodies such as the FOS, the Financial Services Authority or the Office of Fair Trading also do not know whether these customers can technically continue to reclaim.

Up until the April ruling, business account holders were able to continue reclaiming despite the general waiver granted to banks on reclaims as, unlike personal accounts, business accounts are covered by common law instead of consumer law.

However each type of customer can still suffer charges of up to £39 a time for incursions into 'unauthorised' overdrafts.

The judge said in the small print of his ruling in April – which is now being appealed by the eight High Street banks involved – that 'the terms now generally used by the banks' in relation to business accounts could be enforced.
    Some commentators have suggested the phrase 'now generally used' means only charges levied over the past 18 months cannot be reclaimed – and those customers with charges going back over a longer time period may still be successful.

The situation will remain unclear however until one of the official bodies mentioned above clarifies the meaning of the original ruling.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Re: Confusion over bank charge reclaims

After reading the posting above i'm now even more confused, I am sure i read on another web site that a sole proprietor's business account was looked at as if it were a personal account. Have i read this right or have i been mislead... i'm desperatly trying to find out if i can claim an amount in excess of £3000.00 in what i would call unfair charges .

Comment

It depends which type of account you have. Generally those with transaction fees for paying in cash etc are 'proper' business accounts and others are actually personal accounts with a trading as... tagged on the end.

You have to read your terms and conditions to see if the UTCCRs etc will apply.

Also historic terms penalty charges havent been decided on any accounts, only current ones, so pre 2007 charges you can still use penalty charges arguments. for the moment.
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

This is still confussing as i cannot find my T's & c's but i know that on my account i receive advance notification of charges applied, on the head of this it states my personal name , then my trading as name so now i'm about to pull what little of my hair i have left out in confusion..As with others in my predicament the charges i have received have been crippling my business and causing me to go into more and more debt and borrowing, surely there is something that we can do to claim some of this money back ....

Comment

whats your account title and whos it with ? we can probably find T&Cs online somewhere or other.
          #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X