• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Advice on life insurance/pension inheritance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on life insurance/pension inheritance

Hi there,

I’m looking for some advice really..

My dad passed away recently and it’s come to light that he had serveral life Insurance policies and a pension.

My mum and dad divorced around 10 years ago, and I think she signed the bit of the form (?) to say she wouldn’t go after his pension when it came to it.

Dad moved to Hong Kong and met an indanesian lady

He moved back the the UK three years ago primarily because of his health. He went back to Hong Kong two years ago to get married to his partner, with the intention of getting her a visa to move to the UK. Unfortunately this never happened in time. There is a significant language barrier.

My dad wasn’t very good with money or keeping jobs so he got himself in a bit of debt.

Basically my sister and I are now going though everything and letting companies know he’s passed, and have stumbled upon these bits of life Insurance and pensions. He left no will and there is no beneficiary stated on any of the policys.

We think we know that answer is that his Indonesian wife is therefore entitled to everything?

Is this the case? Has anyone got any advise on how to navigate this situation. My sister and I have never received any financial help from my dad, if anything it’s been the other way around. We loved him a lot even after some very tough times, and we both feel awful for feeling the way we do but it’s painful to know anything that he has left will disappear abroad.

Thank you for any help in advance x

Tags: None

wife should entitled by marriage contract as 1st., no will? then problems probate? sure somebody will advise hopefully they know the international rules in this case, i take it your Step mother was a contract worker from Indonesia?? is the marriage certificate.contract on file here in UK?

Comment

Who can inherit if there is no will – the rules of intestacy ...

Comment

Are you in contact with your step mother?

Comment

As for saying everything going abroad is harsh as a marriage took place and she is his wife.

​​​​​​The surviving spouse has the right to receive Letters of Administration, which means that ahead of all other family members, he/she has the right to serve as the Administrator when someone dies intestate. The spouse has this right in addition to any inheritance the spouse gets under the laws of intestacy.

Comment

If you think you and your sibling believe you should receive a legacy, you may be able to make a claim under the Inheritance(Provision for family and dependants) Act 1975
            However I would recommend you seek professional advice if you intend to proceed with a claim

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X