• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Probate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probate

Hi looking for some advice my uncle passed away who was a bachelor he became very sick and never made a will my father his brother was next of kin but didn’t want to be power of attorney so it was given to social services finance to look after while he was in a care home. We have been advised by the finance services that we will need to apply for probate. He has another brother which neither he or my father had any contact with for many many years. With my father being next of kin would the other 1 remaining brother be entitled to any inheritance. Any advice would be welcomed myself and my father where the only family that looked after him in his time of need and before he became very ill.
    Tags: None

https://www.gov.uk/inherits-someone-dies-without-will/

Without any living spouse, children, grand-children or parents, the two brothers will inherit equally

Comment

Even though they had no contact for over 40 years and my dad was his next of kin ?

Comment

Even though they had no contact in over 40 years and my father is his next of kin

Comment

Next of kin isn't a legal term I'm afraid, it's mainly used for contact info in hospitals/care homes etc to know who to inform of issues etc. The power of attorney held by social services ended on your uncles death.

As there was no will then your uncles estate is subject to being distributed in accordance with intestacy rules regardless of what his (or anyone elses ) wishes might have been.

Your father ( or the other brother ) will be needing to apply for letters of administration https://www.gov.uk/applying-for-probate
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X