• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

One more question on Spouse Power of Attorney

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One more question on Spouse Power of Attorney

Hi,
    Further to my Mother passing away in Scotland earlier this year - the Scottish Executor has advised of the size of the estate and I have noticed that over AUD $700,000 is missing from one of the Australian Bank accounts compared to when I last saw my Mothers financial records in 2018.
    My Step Father-in-Law has had Power of Attorney for about the last 2 years, so I assume had access to this account. That is nearly 400,000 British Pounds, so there is no way my dementia inflicted Mum could have spent that money in just 2 years herself. She was in a home that was costing 25,000 British Pounds per year for the last 2 years.

Can a spouse just take their husbands money prior to them passing ?

thanks

Digger11 (Jon)
    Tags: None

Joint account?

Comment

No, just in Mums name. Setup about 40 years ago before she even met my step father .

Comment

Is your Step father resident in the UK? Has you asked him to explain the apparent missing amount?

Comment

Not yet, as we are not sure how to approach it, and he lives in Glasgow. it.
          Did you steal mums money ???

Comment

Softly softly catchy monkey -

How about " When I looked at Mums Australian account a couple of years ago there was X amount in it and now it is $700K less what has happened to it?" "Has it been transfered to another of her accounts?"

You know him and should phrase the questions so as not to imply any wrong doing.

He is her husband and has LPA so can within reason deal with her finances.

There may be a viable explaination.

Comment

Thanks PJ, that is great advice. Will try that, even though we are a bit estranged from our Stepfather it might get a response (especially if there was a valid reason).
              That just leaves my question about non-UK assets that may not be covered by the wording of Mums Scottish Will - I posted a question a few days about this - you wouldn't happen to know the answer to that one ?

cheers Digger11 (Jon)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X