• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Neighbour cut our telephone line.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neighbour cut our telephone line.

Having previously given OpenReach permission to attach our telephone line to their house, our neighbour has cut our telephone line and refuses to allow OpenReach on their property to repair it. I have two questions:

1) Does OpenReach ultimately have the right, under UK law, to fix their infrastructure?
    2) Has my neighbour committed an offence in relation to me?

Thanks in advance for any info. :-)
    Tags: None

Originally posted by DaveyStott View Post
    Having previously given OpenReach permission to attach our telephone line to their house, our neighbour has cut our telephone line and refuses to allow OpenReach on their property to repair it. I have two questions:

1) Does OpenReach ultimately have the right, under UK law, to fix their infrastructure?
    2) Has my neighbour committed an offence in relation to me?

Thanks in advance for any info. :-)
    1) No or else they would have done it.

2) No, but they have committed criminal damage to open reaches property if you can prove they did it, which of course they'll deny.
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Thanks Jaguarsuk.

The OpenReach engineers explained that they did not believe they had the right to fix their own infrastructure unless given permission by the property owner. I thought that there was an element of UK law that ultimately meant that OpenReach did not absolutely need such permission, especially if the property owner had given OpenReach permission in the first instance to install it on their property and it was the property owner that damaged the infrastructure (2 years later).

My neighbours openly admitted to OpenReach that they had cut the cable.

Comment

You thought wrong, permission can be given and withdrawn when ever they feel like to access their property regardless of any installation. It’s only gas and electricity companies who have rights of entry to property via a warrant.

If they admitted it then it’s up to open reach as to whether they want to report the criminal damage.

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Why does the wire have to attach their property to reach yours?

And is virgin media an option given they dig along the public highway and then directly on to your property an option?

Comment

Thanks Again Jaguarsuk. I don't mind being wrong and I appreciate the explanation.

Comment

No problem, hopefully you can find an alternative.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X