• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

EDF and billing code fiasco

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EDF and billing code fiasco

Hi, my first post here and if I told my full story would be a long one so I'll summarise it with bullet points:

• I have a contact with EDF for both my Gas and Electric
    • At the end of last year I discovered I had only ever been billed for my Gas (I'd always presumed I received one bill for both services)
    • Contacted them and turns out they'd not billed me for 3 years!!
    • Took several weeks for them to admit liability for this
    • Was told over the phone that they were 'looking into it' and would be sending me a revised bill after it had gone through the billing code
    • In the meantime I started receiving letters saying I owed £X amount (3 years worth)
    • Each time I received a letter I had to call to explain the situation and I would receive an apology about the letter sent
    • I then received a letter stating they would take legal action if the amount wasn't paid
    • I called AGAIN and logged an official complaint
    • No contact for 3 months, until I received another threatening letter
    • Called again to explain and refer to my logged complain and chase to find out why it hadn't been put through the billing code yet
    • More apologies from EFD and told it still hadn't gone through the billing code
    • Over the next couple of month I made numerous phone calls chasing EDF, I was getting very anxious wondering how much I was expected to pay.
    • Finally after over 7 months I received a call saying they were willing to deduct £X amount (a laughable amount) from my outstanding bill, to which I refused.
    • In the same day I then received numerous phone calls including a call from a senior manager at EDF each time knocking bit more off my outstanding bill - what's annoying is I was told it was a lengthly complicated process working out a deducted amount and yet within the space of a couple of hours they were able to make further reductions 'just like that'.
    • I feel the manager I spoke with pressured me into accepting EDF's offer with 'sales' and 'limited time' tactics even though I was not happy.
    • Reluctantly pressured into accepting an offer I was then put through to an admin person who read me some T&C's and said I'd receive an email with;

1. A instalment plan
    2. Details about my electric plan as I was on Economy 7 (to the first of my knowledge)

• I received no email, this was a few weeks ago, so I presumed I'd receive a letter - but nothing
    • This morning I logged on to my online EDF account that was only set up about 7 months ago (at the start of this fiasco) and I very rarely log-in as I can't make heads or tails of it - Logging in this morning I found I have 3 messages about my instalment plan, details about electric plan and finally a message stating I had not set-up my instalment plan so now I owe the whole amount outright!!!
    • Just called EDF, rather furious. Had a 10 minute conversation where the lady on the end of the phone constantly contradicting herself - By saying I would have received emails from them (I had not) so she then said well you would have received a letter (I had not) she then backtracked and said all communication is sent to your online account as that is what I had opted for! So what about the email and letter she claimed had been sent?

I'm sick to death of this now and it's not a small amount we are talking about. I feel I have been bullied and taken advantage of. Bearing in mind I was the one that discovered the billing error in the first place and I called them. Since then I have been knocked from pillar to post and to add insult to injury the guy on the phone who said he'd send an email about my instalment plan also recommended I stay on my economy 7 electric plan, but this is clearly not the best option (well it is for EDF but not me) as I don't use any electric during the night (when my rate is reduced).

I'm desperate for some help on this. Do I need to go through the Ombudsman? I really don't want to as this means more time consuming letters and more waiting for communication and ludicrous offers from EDF and no doubt more bullying tactics.

I appreciate anyone who has taken the time to read the above and has time to offer advice.

Regards
    Mr V Frustrated

Re: EDF and billing code fiasco

I'm not suprised you're sick to death of it. I would get a formal written complaint in asap and cc it to Ofgem and edfenergy CEO - not sure of his email though - Vincent de Rivaz ? (someone else will know) - you have to follow the complaints process anyway before you can go to Ombudsman.

edit: seems to be vincent.derivaz @ edfenergy. com
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Re: EDF and billing code fiasco

Hi
      If you have not been billed for a considerable time there is a code which electricity suppliers must follow.
      When you write your letter of complaint refer to the"Back Billing Code" and tell them you think you are only liable for one year's worth of usage.

If it happens you are not protected by the code, the company must allow you at least the same length of time to repay the arrears as it took to build them up, in this case 3 years.

The code of practice for accurate billing of customers Back Billing can be found here:
      http://www.energy-uk.org.uk/componen...customers.html

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X