• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

NPower disaster.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPower disaster.

A long story but with big problems.
    I am an accountant and financial advisor for self-employed persons (preferable not speaking English)
    One of my clients who also lives in the same street asked me for advice last month.
    They received a letter from NPower that they are in arrears for almost £1500.
    And they were threatening to install a prepayment meter.
    I explained them the options they had and they decided that a prepayment meter
    is probably the best.
    So on 13 may they installed the meter and added £10 credit on the meter.
    And she was told the card would be sent out that week.
    After 2 weeks I called NPower to send a card again because it did not arrive.
    After a total of 3 weeks I called again but told them they don't want to wait again for a card that will not arrive.
    So they got a code to can pick up a card at a local shop.
    There they told them that the code was only for British gas.
    No problem they got send to another shop, (liquor shop) to can go with the kids.
    But there the shopkeeper told her that he only have Eon cards and send her away.
    Called again,
    NPower said: but you can use the Eon cards as well.
    Eon confirmed this. (still strange to me)
    Again back to the shop, me to to can help with translating.
    Okay shopkeeper tries and RTI number declined. (shopkeeper laughing "told you so!!")
    Again on the phone, NPower claimed that the system was down, so received another number.
    Tried that one at a total of 6!!! shops.
    You can guess: all declined. (all shops were given by NPower through Twitter)
    Again on the phone, asked for special delivery what they refused.
    So than on the phone with CAB and Ofgem.
    They advised me to call National Grid!?! to tell them that she have 3 children in the house
    and to ask them to make sure that the gas is working. (I'm recording all calls)
    So I called and they came out in half an hour, with the most angry guy to could find.
    After I told him that he have to make sure they have gas, he did put on £5 emergency credit.
    I told him, if it is this easy I will call him again after the credit is finished.
    Funny for me, but he did not like it. (but this resolved the problem!!!)
    When I knew that National Grid would be very angry with that, I started to play it out with them.
    After almost 4 weeks I can do this, no?
    Well it went very quick after this, NPower called me (instead of client, wait this is funny)
    NPower asked my client over the phone if they could talk to me about this case.
    But my clients English is just Yes or No, but he has no idea what they are saying.
    And at the moment they said they called him, he was sitting next to me)
    Than also CAB and Ofgem called me.
    But the call from CAB is what is important, they told me that they talked with NPower and
    that there is not any kind of problem and that my clients did not went to any shop!!
    I asked this person also directly for who he is working, because I'm not sure now if he
    is from NPower and said he is from CAB or that he is from CAB but gets his money from NPower I anyway disconnected the call because he was calling on my mobile which I'm not recording.
    He did not want to call back on the office phone. (?)
    Anyway, I called and Twittered NPower again and told them to don't worry about the card anymore,
    as National Grid will give them emergency credit again.
    That took just half an hour, they were calling again.
    Offered £75,- (what my clients accepted) I know they can get more if they want, but they just want gas.
    And the card can be delivered by special delivery.

Was that now so hard?
    Tags: None

Re: NPower disaster.

Just to let you know: the debt advice I give to my clients is totally free.
    I would not dare to ask money for this.

Comment

And do you now have the card ?

This sounds like a nightmare. Well done for sorting it out for your neighbours. That sounds like extremely poor service from NPower there, good to hear you got some kind of compensation for the hassle.

We have SSE prepayment gas and electric and we can't top up our card/key (nor collect replacements) from our very local shop as they only have Eon and BG, we go to a slightly less local store (Nisa or Co-op seem to do any of the suppliers) to get our gas and electric (I'm talking 200 yards and 500 yards - we live near quite a few shops), we've also had codes to get the emergency extra when things have been bad and never had a problem using it.
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Terlouw Advice View Post
        Just to let you know: the debt advice I give to my clients is totally free.
        I would not dare to ask money for this.

Good to hear, plus to do so you'd have to be regulated by the FCA.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

No it will? be delivered tomorrow.
          But as far as I've gone I'm now pretty sure.
          To top up is here nowhere a problem, there are 2 shops in 300 yards who can
          top up all cards (also NPower) funny thing that 2 shops both are not on the
          NPower list to provide an emergencycard.
          Those shops are more than 1 mile away. (they do it for it)
          Specially to think that NPower said to use an Eon card, which are provided here arround the corner.
          Just NPower cannot (or will not) send a code out there. (we tried)

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
            Good to hear, plus to do so you'd have to be regulated by the FCA.
            No thanks.
            I always can give any advice to my clients, neighbours or friends.
            CAB is also regulated, no?
            In the meantime I could confirm that the guy from CAB who called me is really from CAB.
            I'm making a formal complaint as we speak.
            He decided to tell me that my clients did not go to the shops to try to take a card.
            I was even with them to try.
            I even told him I could send the proof on email directly (RTI declined receipts)
            But he did not want to talk with me if I was recording and he refused to
            receive any proof on email.

Nice regulation.

No my clients are happy, not for nothing there are coming more and more to me.
            I'm open, I'm listening and I'm not afraid to go against energy suppliers.

Comment

Yes CAB are regulated which means you do have some comeback if things do go wrong, which they do. Here is their complaints policy. http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/ind...nts_policy.htm

Originally posted by Terlouw Advice View Post
              No thanks.
              I always can give any advice to my clients, neighbours or friends.
              CAB is also regulated, no?
              In the meantime I could confirm that the guy from CAB who called me is really from CAB.
              I'm making a formal complaint as we speak.
              He decided to tell me that my clients did not go to the shops to try to take a card.
              I was even with them to try.
              I even told him I could send the proof on email directly (RTI declined receipts)
              But he did not want to talk with me if I was recording and he refused to
              receive any proof on email.

Nice regulation.

No my clients are happy, not for nothing there are coming more and more to me.
              I'm open, I'm listening and I'm not afraid to go against energy suppliers.
              #staysafestayhome

Comment

A friend of mine had a problems with prepay meter cards. On contacting the company concerned, she was told that all the cards were sent out by the same third party company - which often mixed them up.

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                  Yes CAB are regulated which means you do have some comeback if things do go wrong, which they do.
                  Some years ago, I had cause to make an extremely serious complaint against a branch of the CAB. It ended up being escalated to their Head Office, who told me that as local CAB's 'are effectively independent franchises' there is no means of disciplining them.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X