• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Important legal changes to the ownership of your sewers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Important legal changes to the ownership of your sewers

Has anyone else received a booklet about this?

In simple terms, the utility company are taking on responsibility for the section of the sewer from your boundary to the main sewer. (Shared services are a little more complicated).

Of course, because of the extra responsibility, this may require an extra charge on the bill, estimated at between £3 & £14 per year. (This small section of the sewer, as you are well aware, requires a lot of inspection & maintenance).

As the booklet says, this will affect half of the properties in England & Wales.

You can see an example here http://www.thameswater.co.uk/cps/rde...s.xsl/8654.htm

The change takes place on October 1st, 2011, & you have 2 months from service of notice to appeal to Ofwat.
    ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
    Btw, if anyone has looked at the video ( http://www.thameswater.co.uk/cps/rde...s.xsl/8655.htm ), rewind it & see how clean the engineers repairing that underground pipe are. Even their gloves are pristine!!
    Bet their mums use Persil!!!!
    Last edited by charitynjw; 21st July 2011, 14:43:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick
    Tags: None

Re: Important legal changes to the ownership of your sewers

Yip, had a letter the other day from Severn Trent, seems quite sensible to me.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

You should check your insurance now it may be that you pay less.

Comment

Shame they don't take responsibility for the bit of sewer on your own land though, as this part of the sewerage sytem is a real money spinner.

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
          Yip, had a letter the other day from Severn Trent, seems quite sensible to me.
          Example:

Customer's drainage is connected to the main drainage system, which is located at a fair depth running through that customer's back garden.
          Therefore, the new fee should not apply.
          Unusual installation? Well, it is what I have, & all my neighbours on both sides of a very long road.
          How many of them are aware of this? Not one of the six I have spoken to so far (sorry, now seven).
          Is the utility company going to inspect all of their customers' properties to see if the new charge is applicable?
          As far as I can see, it will be the customer's responsibility to identify the route & complexity of their drainage installation, & then appeal to Ofwat if necessary.
          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
          Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
          gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
          The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

I had a temping job at Anglian Water some years back. It was a special project which involved mapping all the sewers. Very exciting it wasn't. But, the water companies do have maps of all the sewers and drainage systems, where private join to public and so on.

As I read it the new charge isn't a specific charge for properties where most of the sewer system is being taken over by the water companies - it's an average increase in bills across the board to cover the costs of maintaining and fixing the additional meterage of pipes.

Basically you are responsible for the bit from your house to where it joins to either a main sewer or to where it merges with a sewer also serving another property. Should get rid of a fair few neighbour disputes who pays for rodding the drains when number 36 has flushed a wad of kitchen towell.
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Sewer ownership : Household : Severn Trent Water explains it quite clearly I think/ The letter I received from them was very good and in PIL, which makes a change.

#staysafestayhome

Comment

Now that is going to be a million times better. How do I wish I'd had that at my last property where 4 of us kept having to share £200+ bills for people flushing sanitary towells down their toilets and blocking up a shared sewer. We were all four single men, so it clearly wasn't us, but we didn't know who else shared the system.

Well worth a few extra pounds a year in my book.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X