• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

British Gas broke into the wrong house

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Gas broke into the wrong house

Hi, British Gas broke into our house last week to remove a meter, problem is they got the wrong house, and have admitted so.
    my property has no gas supply / no meter.
    They should have gone to a property 3 doors up.

despite the obvious errors I have consistently asked Bgas to provide me with a copy of the warrant to prove they had rights to break in. (They did have my address registered to the account)
    should a warrant have been hand delivered?
    what safeguarding checks should be done before breaking in?
    should a warrant have been left on the premises?

10 days later and all they can send me is an application for a warrant, which is not a warrant!

any advice appreciated!
    Thanks xx
    Tags: None

Hi EMMA

Did you get any letters prior to their actions?

a) Write a Formal Letter of Complaint to British Gas, mark it as such. Explain that they broke into the wrong address, they had the wrong address on the account, that it's caused you distress and embarrassment, that you wanted to be compensated. Whatever figure they come up with, make a counter offer. If they had a warrant or not becomes 'irrelevant' because they acted on incorrect information on the account in question.

https://www.britishgas.co.uk/complaints.html

b) In your complaint explain that you will lodge a complaint with the ICO, as the information on the account is incorrect, once you receive a final response from them.

c) Send them a Subject Access Request, they have 30 days to provide all the data they hold on you (that will demonstrate no account exists under your name), make sure you get Proof of Postage.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ccess-request/

Comment

Before a warrant is issued (I issue them) there has to be evidence of letters and visits to the address. You should have had these letters (even though the address is wrong). Did you get any? A warrant should not be issued without this proof. Also British Gas have to affirm there are no vulnerable people in the property. We sign many warrants at the same time but the BG rep under oath states that the letters and visits have been done and that there are no vulnerable people at the address.

Comment

Thank you both. British Gas claim they posted a letter to the address (just 1) but I explained if it was addressed to the account holder I wouldn’t open it and just mark ‘return to sender’ No prior visits were done, and a warrant want left on the day. I have asked for two weeks now for a copy and they say they have it but haven’t got it to me.
        they offered £100 compensation which I refused, she really pushed me for a figure so I said £10k but would consider reasonable offers. They text to say they can now increase to £200 then will issue a deadlock letter.
        It’s all very suspicious, and tbh £200 is ridiculous. It’s not about the money but I want British Gas to review their procedures so this doesn’t keep happening. If we can get the story in the papers I’m hoping more people will come forward to say it’s happened to them, then BG may have to own up.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X