• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Self built Computer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self built Computer

A friend has just dropped of a self built computer. I'm told that the graphics are crap and that it tends to crash. I haven't looked at it yet, I intend to do so tommorrow. I may post here to ask for assistance. I feel that it may be a component not seated correctly. I am presuming it is running Vista and could be memory defficient. Oh well I'll see what happens.

Re: Self built Computer

Computers can build themselves ? thats very clever.

You prolly want to talk to Tempty - shes the woman for fiddly componenty type problems.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I'm fairly Au fait with the workings of computers. Yes, I'll talk to Tempty about it. Thanks Ame.

Comment

Sounds interesting.
        I have notice with some home builts that the chosen components simply don't match, even some cheaper branded machine have this problem.

I love playing with hardware, my personal fave are servers

Comment

Had hours of fun today with this one. Think it could be down to corrupt/missing graphics driver. It didn't help that the attention to detail of the routing of the cables was crap, and that it had 54 virus/malware on it! I'll get there in the end.
          ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
          PS it's running XP
          ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
          It was made more difficult in that all they brought up was the tower. No monitor, keyboard or mouse. Spent the day swapping them all from one computer to the other!
          Last edited by Niklowe; 14th August 2008, 19:54:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Hit a small snag.

Decided to nip out and get a wireless adaptor so as to connect the computer to the internet and download some decent AV software. That was Ok and I managed to download AVG and ran it in safe mode. The viruses, Trojans, malware, etc, were all over the place. However, one other potential problem was the Windows had been coming up with the message, words to effect that as the computer had been heavily modified, revalidation was only a day away. Well I thought, I have 24 hours in which to do it. Wrong. It now refuses to load windows, and doesn't seem able to connect to the MS site in order for me to revalidate.

Any way round this?

Comment

Sounds like a knocked off OS.
              Oh dear time for a repair install.

Comment

Enlighten me CB. "repair install"?

Comment

Basically this means reinstalling the OS over the top of the existing one, hence ensuring all data and settings are kept.
                  Simply boot on to the XP CD and follow the prompts to install a copy and you will be given the option for a repair install.

Here's how to do it: TweakXP.com - How To Do a Repair Install of XP
                  and with screen shots: Repair XP

Comment

Didn't need to CB. There was a phone number to ring. It involved inputting 7 groups of numbers into the phone, and then receiving similar and inputting them into the computer. Lo and behold, windows is running again. Trouble is I can't connect to the Wlan now. Task for tommorrow.

Comment

Seem to have sorted the crashing out,

However the graphics are abysmal. The card is an Nvidia geforce 8500 gt. Disabled, and using the onboard graphics, the display returns to normal. I have downloaded the most up to date driver for the 8500 gt but no change when the the adaptor is enabled. The motherboard is also fitted with Nvidia SLI, in order to run two cards, though only one fitted. I'm beginning to think that it is the graphic card that is duff. I'm also having problems with internet explorer, and Rundll. I was looking on another forum, and a user there had the same problems.

The strange thing is that I can ping a site but cannot connect with IE. Data will come in through the wireless adaptor, but no packets go out.

Comment

Here's where it comes to a strange ending. I actually got the computer repaired in the end and was feeling very jubilant about it, but there was a twist to the story. Shut the self built machine down, disconnected monitor, took it to my computer, attached the monitor..........

Aaaaagh, I got the blue screen of death!!!!!!!!!!

tried safe mode etc. Sweet fanny adams.

Upside is that it forced me to go and buy a new one. The wife insisted!

Alls well that ends well.

Comment

Best you don't start up that business then!

Comment

The annoying thing is that all the license codes for my diagnostic software is on the hard drive of the now defunct computer.

Comment

Who cares about the license codes when you have a computer that is light years ahead of the last one!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X