• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Teladvisor Lts - Passport Website

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teladvisor Lts - Passport Website

Hi,

So I've seen many historical (and recent) threads on people falling foul to passport service sites. Unfortunately I have used www.passports-office.co.uk mistakenly believing it to be the official website - it appeared no.1 on a google search for 'renew passport online' and appeared very much official! I've made payment for £104 (£75 + £29) and yet to receive any documentation (I guess I won't either!)

Firstly, is there any chance of getting a refund on this? The website offers no discernible contact details or channels to complain. Secondly, which may be my saving grace, I had opted to make the payment over 3 installments and this transaction was carried out by a third party. They have since emailed to say that Teladvisor Ltd have received the £104 and I would hear from them further (I haven't!) Seeing as this third party are yet to make the first installed payment (next month) - where do I stand with cancelling with my bank? I don't want to receive notices of default or monies owed etc from a third party company further down the line - but equally I'm not prepared to pay for a non-existent service?

I understand from much internet searching that these 'copycat' websites are legal and hide behind fine print described as 'service providers etc' - but taking money and not providing said service is surely not allowed?

Any help or suggestions would be great, thanks
    Tags: None

When did you sign up with the site and for what service ? ie. if it is a standard passport renewal 'check' service then they can take a few days to check the application ( you completed all your personal details on their site ?) but if it was a fast track appointment booking service you should have heard back pretty much immediately.

The £29 extra is to check your application and submit it for you. Depending which service you were asking for.

https://www.passports-office.co.uk/terms_privacy.asp is their terms and details of getting a refund. They can't refund the actual passport fee.

The third party payment is through PayL8r ( Social Money Ltd )

They are one of the better check and send services. ( and they aren't really a 'copycat website' - just a third party service )
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thanks for your help and response - and you may have given me some comfort / assurance!

I signed up earlier this morning for a standard passport renewal. All details provided. It was only at a later conversation with my partner I realised it wasn't the official site and the £29 is their service fee. A frustrating £29 to spend but you live and learn.

My biggest concern related to reading online subsequently and seeing people had lost their money altogether, no response, Passport Office had not received the applicable fee etc. and I have essentially spooked myself into fearing the worst. If however, as you suggested, this may take a few days to hear back from them with the appropriate forms & docs then all may be well. I haven't received any acknowledgement/confirmation to date.

Hopefully they are one of the better check and send services and I'm worrying over little. Thanks again for your comments.

Comment

It is frustrating, but I'm afraid these ones are pretty clear throughout their website that they aren't the passport office and the fee includes a service fee ( sorry )

I'd have thought you should have an email to confirm. Otherwise I think see if they come back to you on Monday and if not give them a call to check ( bottom of this page for the actual number under ' Teladvisor' heading - http://www.passport-callconnection.co.uk/contact.asp - don't use the one at the top as that's an overpriced call forwarding to the actual passport office number )

They say this
        In addition to our checking service customer will also receive a personalised guide email and dedicated advisor line for help filling in the form and/or supporting documents they will need to provide.

Maybe you entered your email address wrong or something?

For future ref: https://www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport and https://www.gov.uk/apply-renew-passport are the official pages.

What's the deal with the monthly instalments then ? is there an additional fee for doing that ? Have they sent you any kind of agreement or provided you with a unique log in etc ? Be interested to see any documents you have from that side of things.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Yeah, it was the first search result on google and looked/appeared official. I had some reservations to begin with but just rushed through it on my lunch hour. Looking back now it is clearly stated several times on the page. I have to accept it really - as long due process is followed through.

I received an 'application pending' email mid-way through the application strangely enough with a ref number. Perhaps this is how they have committed people prior to even making payment (I have read similarly on another thread previously here) The reference application now states as 'complete/paid' when I click on the email. I have had confirmation from PayL8r that money has been sent to Teladvisor Ltd.

I think you're right in waiting until at least Monday but when I have tried the contact you provided above, earlier today - it just rings out generally. I have no idea why i actually chose installments instead of a one-off payment but it may have worked out in my favour should due process not get carried out!

Thanks again for your comments.

Comment

Probably seemed like a good idea when you came to check out and it said you could pay over 3 months and it wouldn't cost you anything ? probably with a big button to click to chose that option … lol

You know when you go to buy a sofa in one of those horrid warehouse type stores, and when you come to pay they say you can do £20 a month over 5 years and not even start that for a year.... seems like a good idea at the time, never ends well.
            #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X