• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ebay, Gumtree & Autotrader Vehicle / Car Scams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Barclays and vehicle scam via ebay and gumtree

Hi,

Can anyone help me, similar sort of scam but via the Autotrader and a company called The Logistics Corporation Limited, if anyone heard of these but experienced a similar incident, please contact me.
    Have instructed an investigator to find out who the Logistics Company are a cover/front for.

Comment

It would be a mistake to assume that you have been dealing with a real company, or the real company if one by that name exists lspeakman. It's very easy to set up a website impersonating another company and you can waste a lot of time 'chasing your tail' if you make too many assumptions. There are an overwhelming number of scam items being offered for sale on all ad sites and there is one main group targeting them all, though they aren't alone and typically they dispose of the stolen funds through the accounts of professional money mules, there being very few innocent dupes, contrary to popular belief. It's also easy to dispose of funds by appearing to have a bank account in the name of the company being impersonated, when it is just an ordinary personal account.

The only way that the authorities can deal with the current plague of fraud is by shutting down 'money mule' accounts immediately they become apparent, which is supposed to be what they do, but evidently is not. Considering that most of these accounts are opened against fake ID's, they should never be opened in the first place, and those opening them have no reason or justification to hold the accounts other than to perpetrate fraud. It's not rocket science.

The majority of those opening multiple accounts are in the UK on short trips and have no purpose or valid reason for opening accounts as they cannot perform work and have only the funds supplied by their 'herders'. The bank accounts themselves have become a commodity to be bought and sold between fraudsters as a money making enterprise. Considering that all the money, amounting to millions of pounds is being transferred straight out of the country, it's an enterprise that the authorities should be much more active in shutting down.

Comment

• Re: Ebay & Gumtree Vehicle Scam. Barclays provide Fraudsters Accounts

Scams have been around for a long time well before the internet there has always been a queue of people lining up to be scammed ,we know more now because of the internet and social media banks can be blamed but in fact they really wont do anything about it people need to be more wary when they see something that appears to be a bargain or a quick money maker. One scam I remember from many years ago was a stop smoking guaranteed one,the punter was invited to send a postal order for a small sum to get the info many did and received a note simply saying don't buy cigarettes ,well that's guaranteed ?was it a scam ?someone made money wish it was me

Comment

What you say is true wales01man.

The problem is that the authorities wish to establish a line between commerce and fraud, otherwise there is no distinction between banks (for example) and scammers and the whole nature of commerce is turned on its head. If consumers have to expect every trader/company to be a potential fraudster then it will completely change the nature of trade. The existence of online ad sites will merely be a historic quirk that had its day and came and went.

The greater risk is that this fraud is so easy to perform that it will burgeon out of control. The fraudsters have barely scratched the surface of what can be achieved through fraudulent bank accounts and, bearing in mind that the account holders don't exist and have left the country (if you see what I mean), they face no discernible threat of ever being apprehended.

If the fraud is never prosecuted it becomes de facto a legitimate business.

Comment

Originally posted by lspeakman View Post
            Can anyone help me, similar sort of scam but via the Autotrader and a company called The Logistics Corporation Limited,
            I have attached the latest company appointments report from Companies House.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
              One scam I remember from many years ago was a stop smoking guaranteed one,the punter was invited to send a postal order for a small sum to get the info many did and received a note simply saying don't buy cigarettes ,well that's guaranteed ?
              A better scam cost £10 and offered to cut one's bills in half...

What arrived was a cheap pair of scissors.

Comment

Hi, thanks for that, I had checked out The Logisitics Corporation beforehand and quickly came to the conclusion they were a 'front' for the culprits who have scammed me. I am in a profession where i can find out certain information and have already started my investigation -not that im hopeful of getting a refund of monies. But i am like a dog with a bone no stone will be left unturned!!!! ....will keep on posting.
                Ive seen the gumtree/ebay scams/Barclays ...by individuals however havent seen any Autotrader/Company/but Barclays scams???

Comment

Cloggie did you fork out a tenner,i got a good earner give us atenner ill tell you how to make a hundred quid

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                    Cloggie did you fork out a tenner?
                    No - I had better sense, then the scam was revealed on "That's Life".

i got a good earner give us a tenner i'll tell you how to make a hundred quid
                    I already know - get ten suckers to send a tenner for the secret of how to make £100.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                      No - I had better sense, then the scam was revealed on "That's Life".

I already know - get ten suckers to send a tenner for the secret of how to make £100.
                      Send me a "monkey", CC, & I'll let you in on a sweet deal!

See, there's this Nigerian fellah.................................:blabla:
                      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                      gets his brain a-going.
                      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

I don't think any of us 'regulars' on LB are actually 'mocking' the poor buggers who have been scammed out of their cash,,we're more shocked that people are willingly handing over vast amounts of cash to total strangers for goods that have not even been seen.As said before..If it seems to good to be true,,it probably is.
                        I personally find it incredulous that anyone could fall for this scam,there's more holes in it than a Swiss cheese and I'm nowhere near as savvy as most of the regs on here.
                        The very fact that the OP's are being given the run around by the banks,FOS,etc doesn't bode well,I think they've all seen the last of their money

Comment

There are two issues at play here -

Firstly - the consumer has been led to consider online shopping as a risk free activity and doing it via a well established website is making people believed that they are secure when, of course, they aren't.

Secondly - people are relying on a bank account as being an assured means to establish the identity of the person they're dealing with, which isn't surprising because other major financial institutions do too.

What you say is spot on Inca, but I am concerned at the consequences when these points are widely recognised by the general public.

Comment

If people are buying through EBAY there is a whole section on there on buyer safety and how to avoid a scam, if those who get scammed can read the listings they can take time to read the safety section which sets out some simple checks and tells what not to do Would think this would cover EBAY against any claims brought against them.As hard as it is the small print and advice should be read

Comment

Ispeakman, do you have a website or contact details for The Logistics Corporation? I don't mean the ones I can find on Google (in case someone's set up another business with the same name), I mean the ones pertaining to the scam.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Jones View Post
                                Ispeakman, do you have a website or contact details for The Logistics Corporation? I don't mean the ones I can find on Google (in case someone's set up another business with the same name), I mean the ones pertaining to the scam.
                                No unfortunately i dont, i had the e mail add of the person originally selling the vehicle, but now the e mails are returned! - whilst i have a private investigator on the case - not sure whether to approach the 'real logisitcs corporation' and make them aware or do they already know and are party to the scam.
                                I could cause the real logistics company some aggrevation by issuing legal proceedings against them and one of the Directors, still considering my options at this stage. It would appear looking at previous scams the logisitics corporation not been mentioned on here before yet the fraud squad are aware of them and there is nothing posted on the internet at all as a warning.
                                Any ideas/suggestions would be gratefully received.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X