• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

cancellation of insurance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cancellation of insurance

I bought a new car on the 10th of april and chose an insurance company off the internet and insured it. when the details came we werent happy with the things offered so we rang them today and asked if we could cancel the insurance. We had forgotten our other car was insured in my name and not hubbys, so we asked if we could swop policy over to husband and upgrade to their gold cover from bronze. they said they were unable to do this and would have to cancel my policy and do a new one for my husband.
    they said they would have to charge us a 30% cancellation fee!!!! we said we thought we had 14 days to cancel policy and they said this didnt apply????
    they wanted altogether 30% cancellation fee, plus £35 administration cgarge plus insurance premium tax and a premium for time we insured by them. it came to £145 roughly. my husband disputed all the charges, they eventually agreed to £78. we had already paid £16 start up fee deposit.
    is this legal!! do we not have a right to cancel for what ever reasons. please please any advise welcome
    nannie ali

Re: cancellation of insurance

Originally posted by nannieali View Post
    I bought a new car on the 10th of april and chose an insurance company off the internet and insured it. when the details came we werent happy with the things offered so we rang them today and asked if we could cancel the insurance. We had forgotten our other car was insured in my name and not hubbys, so we asked if we could swop policy over to husband and upgrade to their gold cover from bronze. they said they were unable to do this and would have to cancel my policy and do a new one for my husband.
    they said they would have to charge us a 30% cancellation fee!!!! we said we thought we had 14 days to cancel policy and they said this didnt apply????
    they wanted altogether 30% cancellation fee, plus £35 administration cgarge plus insurance premium tax and a premium for time we insured by them. it came to £145 roughly. my husband disputed all the charges, they eventually agreed to £78. we had already paid £16 start up fee deposit.
    is this legal!! do we not have a right to cancel for what ever reasons. please please any advise welcome
    nannie ali
    Is it a new policy for car insurance?

Comment

yes it is

Comment

yes it is
        I keep thanking you trying to quote you. If it is a brand new policy then cancel it and set up a new one the following day or with another company the same day.

Comment

we tried and they made us pay the fees!!! says the 14 day rule didnt apply

Comment

we tried and they made us pay the fees!!! says the 14 day rule didnt apply
            Why not?

Comment

because the 14 day rule doesnt apply as they werent miss leading us in any way. we unintentionally insured car in my name with full no claims while i was still insured on my other car

Comment

because the 14 day rule doesnt apply as they werent miss leading us in any way. we unintentionally insured car in my name with full no claims while i was still insured on my other car
                It's nothing to do with misselling. The policy is taken out on April 10th, cooling off period is 14 days so you have until 24th April to cancel it.
                Tomorrow or today if they are still open, ring up and simply say you want to cancel policy taken out on April 10th 2009. If they say no, ask them why you can't.

Comment

oops sorry typo i meant misled there wording in the cancellation rights section quotes
                  " you have 14 dys to decide wether to proceed with the purchase of the insurance contract,from the laterof the day you took out the insurance contract or the day you recieve the full terms of the insurance contract. If you cancel the policy within this period, we will charge a premium for the period we have been insuring you plus an administration charge of £10 (+ insurance premium tax).
                  If you cancel your policy outside of this period then we will charge a premium for the period we have been insuring you plus an administration charge of £35 (+Insurance Premium Tax).
                  In all situations you must return the Certificate of Insurance or Temporary cover note, and if you cancel your policy following a claim there will be no refund of premium / and or the full premium will be due"
                  Hubby says they wanted to charge him the £35 charges even though he quoted word for word the above paragraph (from XL underwriting documents)
                  One call documents quote see next chunk sorry
                  ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
                  onecall documents quote " you have 14 days from the start of the policy or the date you recieve the policy documents to cancel the cover under the cooling off period if you feel you have been misled in any way. You must return all your documentation along with a letter of explanation as\why the cover is to be cancelled. All insurers have the right to charge fior the time the cover was in force. (if you could think of a good legal excuse i would be grateful lol )
                  Last edited by nannieali; 20th April 2009, 20:33:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

has anyone else have any ideas where we go from here?

Comment

If you cancel the policy within this period, we will charge a premium for the period we have been insuring you plus an administration charge of £10 (+ insurance premium tax).

Thats the most they should charge you as you cancelled within the 14 days....so 2% of the insurance value (for the week before u cancelled I guess) plus £10 plus whatever insurance preminum tax is. No they can't charge the £35 as it clearly states that's after the 14 days.
                      Have you cancelled in writing? You need to by the 24th so do it spec del.

Changing the insurance over to new names/new poiicy would be different - you have to just cancel outright. I wouldnt want to be with them anyway after this.
                      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

No we cancelled and gone with someone else!!!! but just annoyed we have paid out 94 quid for less than a 2 week insurance, a right rip off

Comment

Thread moved to vehicle forum

PKea

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X