• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Is court worth it? Garage refusing right to reject. And malicious counterclaim.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is court worth it? Garage refusing right to reject. And malicious counterclaim.

Hi, this is long, sorry, but I know all the details are needed!
    In summary: I’m stuck on what to do next regarding being misold a car that has basically been written off due to amount of faults. They are refusing a refund/final rejection.
    To make things more complicated the garage is falsely claiming I’ve damaged their courtesy car and is threatening to use that against me. Unsure if they could win, but probably? I 100% did not damage the car but its just my word unfortunately (details below).
    I would like to know thoughts on if it is worth going to court (I’ve listed my worries below) for small claims, even if just for damages.
    Otherwise I think my only other option is to dump the car on We Buy Any Car or something and use what little savings I have left to buy a cheap run around for meantime.

Timeline:
    28/7/2023 – Bought the car for £4990 it was described as excellent and features listed. Few previous owners that only used it for a runaround and only 27k mileage for its age (56 plate) so thought it would be a good find.
    They stated on their adverts and website that every car is thoroughly checked by qualified technicians before sale. It passed an MOT in June 2023 with no issues flagged at all apparently (have their copy of the MOT certificate)
    Note as this is used against me later – driving is a major part of my job and I do a lot of miles, hence wanting a low mileage car.
    I have a photo of the back bumper not being completely flush but they said it was fine.
    On the test drive there was a squeaking noise which I and my friend both immediately asked about but the garage owner and mechanic insisted it was “wheel dust” as the car was hardly ever driven, as shown by mileage. And it would soon disappear. (These guys since problems started, are saying I never said anything on the test drive and was entirely happy).
    Also (detail which may matter, not sure?) I have no way of proving this I know, but their warranty only covered personal use, and as I used my car for business and personal use the owner wrote me a note in pencil to say he agreed to this and to make the warranty cover it. He put this in the folder of paperwork. My friend saw this also. However, on opening the folder of paperwork later it had gone.

29/7/2023 to 31/08/2023
    After buying the car, it became apparent within two weeks that the tracking was badly off, car was crabbing and got worse. Air conditioning didn’t work.
    Mid August the bumper also half fell off on the motorway, dragging along the road.
    Also I had booked it in with my local, trusted regular garage to have it checked after buying, but due to a unlucky delay due to sudden bad staff illness, it didn’t end up being looked at until mid August.
    Garage found right away that (I have a long report but I’ll put main points):
    The nearside track rod end nut was loose and could move by hand
    Tracking very badly off on every wheel.
    “Rear toe non adjustable – previous rear end impact?”

31/08/2023
    The Garage I bought car from first fobbed me off until the warranty period had passed.
    Then upon that, they tried arguing with me about repairing or paying for repairs (they claimed no issues were brought up on test drive, therefore I am lying. And then trying to wriggle out claiming warranty only covered engine and it had expired now anyway and wasn’t for business use).
    Managed to make him very reluctantly accept to attempt repairs after Citizens Advice told me what to say to him (car not as described/satisfactory etc, Consumer Rights Act and so on) and its best to let them have a chance of putting the vehicle right.
    They also claimed my local garage are cowboys making up lies to get work. So Citizens Advice told me to get two other garage assessments on the issues raised, which I did, which they still scoffed at.
    I wanted them to pay for a hire car (I’m self employed so I rely on a car or no work for me) but they absolutely insisted on dropping me a courtesy car which I eventually agreed to (kicking myself now, this is where they got me!)

05/09/2023 to 08/9/2023
    Garage finally made it to collect car where they did repairs of issues noted. However, they didn’t fix tracking properly. As advised by citizens advice I had their repairs assessed and all three garages noted tracking still off.
    I paid for tracking to be done again myself for £70 two weeks later.
    Later on (details below) in October, Toyota Garage after a vehicle healthcheck, verbally told me their repairs were “mostly sloppy and rushed”
    The staff member who dropped car back and collected it was insulting about the situation, and was complaining they had to order genuine parts, otherwise I’d moan. He was also late collecting and dropping off by hours so I missed jobs, and kept saying I didn’t know what I was doing/other garages are liars etc. This was all verbal though so I guess no proof?
    Also 08/11/2023
    The courtesy car issue – the garage dropped me a battered and bumped up, slightly grubby Citroen. The sheet of paper for the courtesy car they gave me was just a blank black and white print out, the reg was on it and the date. And I didn’t sign it. The diagram of the car showing any marks was blank.
    I’m pretty sure I only signed another form agreeing for them to take away my own vehicle. But as the staff member took this with him I don’t have it to check/post.
    Also if it matters, the Citroen, despite being used as courtesy car, was a car listed for sale on their website, again claimed as excellent condition. Photos on that didn’t show the state of it on 8th September.
    The staff member on collecting it back came to my door, and immediately confronted me saying he had looked at the car and I “had crashed it all down one side” exact quote. He phoned the garage owner to tell him this.
    When I obviously totally denied this and asked to see where this so-called big crash damage was, it ended up being a light 2cm scratch on a bit of paintwork at the back. I have a photo but you have to zoom in loads obviously! I’m no expert but I expect a bit of polishing would have removed it.
    At this point staff member said (verbal not recorded unfortunately so he is denying it) that the previous knocks and scrapes and a large dent were not recorded on the form but they were “old” so they “couldn’t say that was me”. But he insisted I’ve crashed it.
    They said if I bother them again they would claim against me for this vague, extensive damage I did! Totally false claim!
    I know timestamps can be edited so I’m concerned they will just take photos of the battered car and claim those were me after all, if it comes to it.
    I stupidly only took two poor photos of the courtesy car when I got it, but it was dark and doesn’t show detail or whole car, so pretty useless. I have lots of clearer, quality pics of the scratch and around the rest of the battered car afterwards (as the staff member was making those claims on collection though).

30/10/2023
    The side indicator lights both started to fall out, loose

15/11/2023
    Car making dodgy noises and electric key failed. Local garage said to go to Toyota garage as key would need to be from them.
    They did a health check for the dodgy noises while I was there, and found:
    Tracking is badly out again
    Brake fluid test failed (and three of the things on the wheels are frozen solid so would break and cost lots if they tried to remove them to replace brake fluid, they could only work on one that they could remove – apologies I’m not a mechanic but hope this makes sense).
    Auxiliary belt and links worn need replacing/work
    Wishbone brushes are badly deteriorated/failing
    Brake pads need replacing

As mentioned due to my work, I drive a lot. I had done 8000 miles roughly at this point. However, I’ve heard the wishbone parts fail at 40 to 60k miles so surely that part isn’t caused by me and my mileage? Not sure about the rest to be honest.
    I haven’t paid for an engineers report for more detail yet as waiting to see if worth the cost.
    As you’ll see in garage’s response, they are focusing on blaming me due to my mileage, age of the car.
    Also because the coolant level was low (however car has spent more time in multiple garages than any other car I’ve owned and surely one would have seen that!) and also my tyre was sliced by a vandal that morning (joys of my neighbourhood, spate of car attacks that month) but they’re saying a cut tyre shows I don’t take care of my car.
    Toyota had to note the stabbed tyre in report but of course this was changed right away).
    I’m really upset as I spend £1200 a year in servicing my cars alone, and have reminders on my phone to check all my levels monthly. I drive carefully etc.

I used a law clinic where students help for free and they wrote to the garage for me to exercise my final right to reject.
    I’ll post garages response in a comment as this is already long! But they refused, putting it all back on me basically. And also the courtesy car issue has reappeared, ad they promised, if I go to court.

If I go to court for refund (and also damages too)?
    I have a couple of friends who have had legal issues before and one warned me even if I win:
    1. They can reduce my refund by 25p a mile. So I may only end up with something like £2k for the car anyway?
    2. They can just end their company (limited) and refuse to pay and that’ll be stress chasing them, or may not be paid at all. Plus I would have my court costs on top of a rubbish refund?
    So she thinks I shouldn’t bother, especially if they can win their counterclaim for the courtesy car.
    Other friend thinks it’s worth looking into. Other reviews he has screenshots of have said similar to me (dodgy, faulty cars) but the garage seems to have these removed quite quickly. And he thinks they’re trying to intimidate me.

Thanks for reading this massive essay.
    Will post garages response letter after this
    Tags: None

" I used my car for business" .... could you elaborate on that please?

Comment

You didn't mention the car's service history. Just because a car has low mileage doesn't mean it has been serviced regularly. One owner could have owned the car for 10 years, driven it just a few miles and because of that, not worried about having the annual service carried out.
      The car has exceptionally low mileage for its age. Is there any way you can verify the mileage at the time you bought the car?

Comment

Yes, Im self employed, car needed to travel to jobs so I have business insurance. On my certificate its listed as "leisure and business" as I also need it personally too.

Comment

Originally posted by Pezza54 View Post
          You didn't mention the car's service history. Just because a car has low mileage doesn't mean it has been serviced regularly. One owner could have owned the car for 10 years, driven it just a few miles and because of that, not worried about having the annual service carried out.
          The car has exceptionally low mileage for its age. Is there any way you can verify the mileage at the time you bought the car?
          I have what they gave me of service history which covers a few years, theres not a huge amount but they said that was due to it hardly being used, bit of work done in the past. And I have the MOT certificate from June 2023 that has it down?

Comment

Sorry for the delay, I've also got the garage's response letter to post here as written:

Dear Sirs/Madam,
            Thank you for your letter (undated). The contents of which are noted including the various attachments. Ms Evans purchased the vehicle registration number XXXXXX in the sum of £4990.00 on 29th July 2023 from (GARAGE). The mileage on the vehicle was 27705 at the time of sale. We sold the car to Ms Evans on the basis that it was free of any faults and fit for purpose, taking into consideration its age and mileage.
            Prior to sale a safety inspection was carried out by our qualified technicians, in addition the car went through an MOT test (copy attached), no issues or advisories were noted, therefore this is added evidence the car was roadworthy and fit for purpose.

You have mentioned that Ms Evans has experienced issues with the car from the day she collected it. Ms Evans contacted us by email on 28.08.2023 at this point the car had been driven some 2000 miles since purchase, therefore it would be fair to say from our observation that Ms Evans continually used the car and more than an average based on the amount of miles covered in such a short space of time.

Please note it is our case that any issues that have arisen have been under the ownership of Ms Evans. None of these issues were present or developing at the time of purchase. On 31st August we replied to Ms Evans (copy attached). Purely as a gesture of goodwill on our part we agreed to inspect and resolve the issues highlighted in the document dated 31.08.2023 from (MY LOCAL GARAGE).

We also agreed to collect and deliver the car as well as providing a replacement vehicle to Ms Evans at no expense to her. We collected the vehicle on 5th September, and was then delivered back to Ms Evans on 08.09.2023. All issues were resolved. Ms Evans took collection of the vehicle in person on 08.09.2023 and signed the necessary paperwork.

We note the vehicle has been driven some 8820 miles since the date of purchase and continues to be in daily use. You have mentioned in your letter that “the car remained faulty, particularly regarding the bumper, air conditioning, tracking component and wheel alignment” .
            We provided Ms Evans with clear evidence of the parts and work carried out, quite clearly every issue was addressed. We are at a loss as to how this can be remotely possible.

No evidence has been provided to suggest these issues remain on the vehicle. In terms of the other two documents disclosed to us: The first being a battery being changed in the key and the second being tracking being done on the car, which represent general maintenance issues.

(TOYOTA) dated 10.11.2023, we note an issue was raised with the central locking not working, the remedy required was to change the key batteries. Key batteries have a limited life, the cost incurred could have been mitigated had Ms Evans tried changing the battery on the key herself. Furthermore we have reviewed the health check provided by (TOYOTA).

The Air Conditioning temperature was normal and fit. The coolant level was at minimum, it is upon the owner to ensure the vehicle coolant levels are checked on a regular basis to ensure maximum efficiency, for us this illustrates poor maintenance of the vehicle in the most basic of ways.

We also note from (TOYOTA) document that the left hand front tyre has a deep cut, without prejudice we consider this illustrates the poor record of maintenance of the vehicle since purchase. Please see attached pictures of the vehicle whilst it was on sale, taking into consideration the vehicle is 17 years old, the pictures clearly illustrate the vehicle was in good condition, no bumper were hanging off or loose and the tyres have plenty of life in them.

Moreover Ms Evans test drove the vehicle prior to purchase without any issue.

Therefore having driven the vehicle for almost 6 months and 9000 miles later without any comprehensive evidence to illustrate any issues were present or developing on the car at the time of sale your request to reject the vehicle under the Consumer Rights Act 2005 is clearly not valid.

Furthermore, on the day of the delivery, we inspected our replacement vehicle at Ms Evans address and noticed damage on the offside vehicle that was not present at the time of delivery to Ms Evans. We pointed the damage out to Ms Evans.
            We did not pursue Ms Evans for the costs of the repairs in order not to burden her with the costs. We incurred costs in terms of putting right the paint damage. Please note any small claims proceedings will be robustly defended and a counterclaim for damages and costs to our vehicle will be pursued should your client wish to proceed down the path of litigation.
            Yours faithfully

Comment

The garage has sent you a comprehensive and detailed response which would provide the making of a strong defence to any court claim
              As you use the car for your business the CRA 2015 does not apply and you do not have a final right to reject it. Did you tell the law students you use the car for business? Worrying if you did.
              You would have to prove in court that the vehicle was unsafe and unroadworthy or misrepresented when it was sold to you. Your local garage would have advised you not to drive the car if it was unroadworthy or unsafe.
              You can check the car's mileage history for the last 10 years by using the government website to view old Mots. You will need the car's reg and vin number (on the log book). There is a small chance that the the mileage has been clocked. If this is the case the garage misrepresented the car and you may have a claim.
              If you decide to sell the car on, I would advise against selling it on ebay and not to a private buyer. It would be safer to sell it to a dealer or trade it in for another car. This time don't be so concerned about a low mileage car. Make sure the car has a full service history and obtain an independent inspection report before making a decision to buy it.

Comment

S2(3) Consumer Rights Act 2015:
                (3)"Consumer" means an individual acting for purposes that are wholly or mainly outside that individual's trade, business, craft or profession
                ​​​​​​Travelling to do business may come within that definition.

s19(14) may aid with the evidential issues referred to:

(14)For the purposes of subsections (3)(b) and (c) and (4), goods which do not conform to the contract at any time within the period of six months beginning with the day on which the goods were delivered to the consumer must be taken not to have conformed to it on that day.
                Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

The dealer would have to prove in court that OP was not acting for purposes that are wholly or mainly outside their trade, business, craft or profession.
                  OP has stated "driving is a major part of my job" and told the dealer the car would be used for business purposes. The dealer made a pencil note about this and may have kept the note.

Comment

hi everyone, I’m new here. I have exactly the same issue with my own car which cost me £23,000. It was 19 Plate only done 20,000 miles. it’s a long story, it’s been gone on for three years
                    After one week, having the car, the Car start developed problems engine management add blue tank too low and loads and loads and loads. to cut the story short, the car was under warranty so got fixed after three weeks Cost the Repare £8000. so got the car back 3 weeks later same problem, appear again. I’ve tried to reject the car dealership refused. Took the car to a different garage to get it repaired under warranty and I’ve told me Have you had an accident with the car because you warranty will be void. I was surprised I said no I’ve only had the car for less than 2 1/2 months. Took the car Authorised dealership body shop to get the car checked came out. The car had back axle damage and four panels including doors has been painted. Spoke to Motor Obdesman, I’ve had a decision just last two months which is the motto of this man. Nearly 3 years to make this decision. so I’m not happy with the decision and I’m thinking to go to court

Comment

Hi
                      you need to start a new thread. You can't hijack an existing one.
                      You should set out your thread in chronological order in short paragraphs providing dates.
                      Also please provide more info about the car, the original advert, the mileage on the clock now, the ombudsman's decision and reason and any excuse why he took so long.

Comment

Thanks pezza54, sorry I’m new here I will delete it. Can you please help me how to start a new thread ?

Comment

Select "Consumer and Civil Rights" forum
                          Select "New thread" on left side of page.

EXC the Sale of Goods Act is still under the forum Consumer and Civil Rights. This act doesn't apply to consumers anymore. It should be changed to Consumer Rights Act 2015

Comment

Hi can you please check it’s ok what I did I create new forum as you told me thank you

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X