• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Court Claim After VT - Need Urgent Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court Claim After VT - Need Urgent Help

Need some urgent help and possibly a recommendation for a solicitor who specializes in these things.

So my story can be found here - https://legalbeagles.info/forums/for...ing-and-issues

Basically, I VT my car with Black Horse on the 18th of May 2018 - served the letter from the template on this fantastic forum and emailed them as well - have records.
    They refused to accept the VT unless I sign their VT form admitting liabilities which I naturally refused.
    I have an extended warranty with them but it was just one direct debit that I canceled - I don't have a separate contract for it.
    I went through their complaints department and naturally, my complaint was rejected.
    I then complained to the financial ombudsman who still hasn't made a decision - the case is currently in "process" and they still haven't made a decision - I was disputing the extra warranty money.

I just received a letter in the mail from my local court - a Claim Form.

I have no idea about courts or legal stuff and I really need help what to do next.
    The FO is hopeless - they said they stopped BH from further action but that obviously is not true and they just went to court.

Attached you'll find the court claim which I have 14 days to respond to.
    Should I file a counterclaim or respond describing the case - what should I do?
    I'm kinda scared not to lose and having to pay extra money as my financial situation at the moment is not great - just got married last week.

Any help or guidance towards a solicitor is highly appreciated!!!

Last edited by Chipsybg; 22nd May 2019, 10:10:AM.
    Tags: None

Hello

I gave you some options in your previous thread but doesn't seem like you've acted on them.

I guess first thing's first, do you want to simply defend the matter or bring a counterclaim for compensation?
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
      Hello

I gave you some options in your previous thread but doesn't seem like you've acted on them.

I guess first thing's first, do you want to simply defend the matter or bring a counterclaim for compensation?
      Yes, you did, thank you so much for that!
      I did act on them - the case is still currently with the Financial Ombudsman who clearly said they stopped BH from pursuing the matter further until they make a decision. This is a part of the email I received today from the FO's investigator after emailing them about the court claim:

"As for the court proceedings, I confess, I’m surprised. We’ve not been told of this development and I’ll be in touch with them today to discuss why they’ve taken this action. "

To be honest, I'm sick and tired of BH's BS and I think I should bring a counterclaim for compensation but I need legal help to do that or at least guidance on how to respond to the court papers and all that.

Also, I need to clear my credit file as BH ruined it and I don't know if the court can help with that or the FO can.

Comment

Well the matter is now in the hands of the court however I don't think the court will take too kindly that BH have decided issue legal proceedings when it had previously said that it would put everything on hold, which is in line with their obligations under the FCA rules. You could in theory issue an application to stay proceedings pending the outcome of the FOS' decision but that will cost you £255.

Either way, first thing's first is you need to acknowledge the claim. If you are going to get a solicitor you need to do it asap or if you have legal expenses insurance you could contact your insurer to see if they will help.

Otherwise its a case of doing it on your own, with some assistance from us of course.

As I mentioned above, they've added a marker to your credit file, I reckon you have grounds to bring a claim for negligence and/or breach of data protection in that respect. You also have a potential claim for repudiatory breach in respect of their refusal to accept your voluntary termination - you could seek damages on that and claim as much as the car or the option to purchase price. As for the loan, their particulars of claim suggest its a combined agreement, not sure what they mean by that but if its a single agreement then you only need to pay the amount to terminate as per the agreement. If they argue a multiple agreement then your defence is that they accelerated the outstanding balance without any lawful justification (I assume there is no right to do so in the contract? You will need to check the terms or upload them and we can check) because you only wrote to terminate the HP element. They had no right under the contract to do so and it's them in breach, not you.

If you make a counterclaim you need to pay a sum of money depending on how much you are claiming. As for your defence, you'll need some kind of logical structure to your defence picking out the key points to argue in court.

You would also be wise submitting a subject access request to BH too and obtain all notes correspondence etc.

Again, decisions need to be made quickly and not sat on.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
          Well the matter is now in the hands of the court however I don't think the court will take too kindly that BH have decided issue legal proceedings when it had previously said that it would put everything on hold, which is in line with their obligations under the FCA rules. You could in theory issue an application to stay proceedings pending the outcome of the FOS' decision but that will cost you £255.

Either way, first thing's first is you need to acknowledge the claim. If you are going to get a solicitor you need to do it asap or if you have legal expenses insurance you could contact your insurer to see if they will help.

Otherwise its a case of doing it on your own, with some assistance from us of course.

As I mentioned above, they've added a marker to your credit file, I reckon you have grounds to bring a claim for negligence and/or breach of data protection in that respect. You also have a potential claim for repudiatory breach in respect of their refusal to accept your voluntary termination - you could seek damages on that and claim as much as the car or the option to purchase price. As for the loan, their particulars of claim suggest its a combined agreement, not sure what they mean by that but if its a single agreement then you only need to pay the amount to terminate as per the agreement. If they argue a multiple agreement then your defence is that they accelerated the outstanding balance without any lawful justification (I assume there is no right to do so in the contract? You will need to check the terms or upload them and we can check) because you only wrote to terminate the HP element. They had no right under the contract to do so and it's them in breach, not you.

If you make a counterclaim you need to pay a sum of money depending on how much you are claiming. As for your defence, you'll need some kind of logical structure to your defence picking out the key points to argue in court.

You would also be wise submitting a subject access request to BH too and obtain all notes correspondence etc.

Again, decisions need to be made quickly and not sat on.
          The problem is that I do indeed need a solicitor, but I have no idea about costs and all that.
          I live in Runcorn and I contacted all my local solicitors and they all deal with benefits, bailfs, wills and stuff like that - not one is interested in the case at all - I guess it's the area thing.
          I'll continue my researh today and later tomorrow, but it it seems that no one is willing to pursue this.
          I'm a computer/marketing guy who's never broken any laws and I have no idea about all the legal jargon and how to
          I'm happy to proceed with all that but I can't afford 3-5K for a lawyer at the moment.
          Can anyone point me in the direction of a decent attorney in the North West region - Liverpool or the surrounding areas?
          I'm happy to sue them for all kinds of damages - no idea where to start and I have a lot of reading to do this evening.

Comment

Originally posted by Chipsybg View Post

The problem is that I do indeed need a solicitor, but I have no idea about costs and all that.
            I live in Runcorn and I contacted all my local solicitors and they all deal with benefits, bailfs, wills and stuff like that - not one is interested in the case at all - I guess it's the area thing.
            I'll continue my researh today and later tomorrow, but it it seems that no one is willing to pursue this.
            I'm a computer/marketing guy who's never broken any laws and I have no idea about all the legal jargon and how to
            I'm happy to proceed with all that but I can't afford 3-5K for a lawyer at the moment.
            Can anyone point me in the direction of a decent attorney in the North West region - Liverpool or the surrounding areas?
            I'm happy to sue them for all kinds of damages - no idea where to start and I have a lot of reading to do this evening.
            You dont need a lawyer on your door step, the legal profession covers the whole country. I did Cooper which was in Plymouth, Harrison which was in North Wales, and Patterson which was in Sheffield. Lawyers travel all over the country nowadays mate

Depending on the case, you may be able to get a no win no fee agreement. or a damages based agreement to fund the case , assuming you dont have legal expense insurance
            I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post

You dont need a lawyer on your door step, the legal profession covers the whole country. I did Cooper which was in Plymouth, Harrison which was in North Wales, and Patterson which was in Sheffield. Lawyers travel all over the country nowadays mate

Depending on the case, you may be able to get a no win no fee agreement. or a damages based agreement to fund the case, assuming you don't have legal expense insurance
              Yeah, unfortunately, I don't have legal expense insurance.
              I would be really happy to talk to someone about no win - no fee or damages based agreement - I'm not after money, it's a matter of principle and I just want the whole thing to be over, honestly.
              I mean I can probably afford certain fees but I def don't have a few thousand or more for a proper court battle, especially with my damaged credit due to the whole situation.
              I'm happy to go after more damages if that will put a dent on Black Horse or prevent the same thing happening to other people in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Chipsybg View Post

Yeah, unfortunately I don't have a legal expense insurance.
                I would be really happy to talk to someone about no win - no fee or damages based agreement - I'm not after money, it's a matter of principle and I just want the whole thing to be over, honestly.
                I mean I can probably afford certain fees but I def don't have a few thousand or more for a proper court battle, especially with my damaged creding due to the whole situation.
                There is one right in front of you...PT

I work for Wannops LLP . I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Ptilley@wannops.com . My firms initial advice is always free.
                LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post

Depending on the case, you may be able to get a no win no fee agreement. or a damages based agreement to fund the case , assuming you dont have legal expense insurance
                  I've sent you an email, thanks!

Comment

Good lord they are in a world of trouble if you VT and they refused, Blackhorse are it seems holed below the waterline.
                    I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X