• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Another DEAL court case -won

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another DEAL court case -won

Along with lots of other people, it would seem, I am being taken to court by Debt Enforcement & Action Limited, on behalf of Civil Enforcement Limited.

According to the initial claim form (the one signed by the "M Shwarts", it refers to parking in the co-op car park in Addiscombe in March 2014. It says that I parked there from 10.25 until 12.51.

I did get letters which looked all official, and used the abbreviation PCN in order to look official, I thought. I had no idea what they were about, so I googled, and found that these were being sent out all over the place, and that lots of people were ignoring them, so I did the same. I ignored every letter and notice I got from them.

I don't know whether or not it was me driving that day, even. My car is insured for several drivers, as people other than me drive it, and several people who have their own insurance also drive the car on occasion. I am disabled and sometimes need help including collecting shopping, and being driven around. I have no way of knowing whether or not it was me driving that day, but I don't know if that is relevant.

Anyway, I got the claim form in November 2014, and my immediate concern was whether it was even legitimate, as it didn't appear to be on good quality paper, and looked it was a cheap copy. I actually contacted the court, and they confirmed that it was legitimate.

I was also a bit concerned about the solicitor's signature, which was clearly just a template, so I contacted the SRA about that, too, and, eventually, received the email the same as others, saying that it had been a typo and that it was a legitimate solicitor.

In the meantime, I was being treated in hospital for cancer, including major surgery, so it was a bit bewildering and I didn't really know what was going on, and was unable to seek legal advice from anyone at all, or even to google for advice. A few days before I went into hospital for that surgery, I submitted a quickly scribbled "defence" on the claim form.

While I was in hospital, a document came which was "notice of proposed allocation to the small claims track" and saying that I needed to complete a Directions Questionnaire by the end of December. It didn't include a copy of that questionnaire, and I didn't realise that I needed to do anything (I was pretty out of it for several weeks after the operation as well), so I missed that deadline. I was allowed an extension, and submitted the form on 15 January, refusing mediation and asking for the case to be referred to Croydon.

I then got the date of 24 April. for the hearing.

A few days ago, I got the the letter and "witness statement" from Debt Enforcement and Action Limited, which is identical to the one I have seen on other threads here, including the typo at the end, where it says "belive" instead of "believe". This statement doesn't even include the address of the car park - it only gives the Manchester address, and my car has never been to Manchester, and it doesn't include the date of the parking incident. But it does include a claim for £115 for drafting that statement!

Do I need to submit a witness statement in advance of the hearing? If so, who do I submit it to? What should I put in it? If I don't do this, will they only rely on my scribbled "defence" which I submitted the day before I was going into hospital and when I was in a state of some terror, to say the least.

Should I be contacting the court in advance of the hearing, as suggested in other threads?

Do I need to get legal advice? I am currently not working, because of the cancer and other health problems, so I am on benefits, so I really can't afford a solicitor, but I would really like to take these guys on!

Any advice gratefully received, although I am going out now for a few hours, so won't be able to respond until later on.

thank you in anticipation
    Tags: None

Re: Another DEAL court case

As I was leaving the house just now, I found a letter from the Court which says the following:

"Upon reviewing the Court file

IT IS ORDERED THAT

1. The claimant is to provide to eh Court a copy of the assignment between itself and the co-operative in respect of this case by 18 March 2015"

Comment

What was your defence ?

Did they send their DQ to you ?

Has the court ordered that you submit documents you wish to rely on ? (usually in the paperwork giving the hearing date)

I would normally say to everyone to send the email/letter regarding the statement of truth however as you are in receipt of benefits you'll probably qualify for court fee remission and you might wish to consider a formal application.

Getting professional legal advice would cost more than the claim.

M1

Comment

My defence was pretty much what I said above - that I wasn't even sure that it was me, and that I didn't think the letters were legitimate. It was pretty scrappy because at the time, I genuinely didn't know if I was going to survive the operation, so was somewhat preoccupied with my own personal terror.

I don't think I have seen their defence questionnaire, if that is what you mean by DQ? But, why would they complete a defence questionnaire when they are not defending? They sent me a claim form which included a statement.

The letter from the court about the date doesn't seem to say anything about papers, but perhaps that is in a different letter. It does, however, say that the case has has been listed with "a number of other cases at the time stated", which I am reading as saying that there DEAL are doing this to others at the same time.

When I get the chance, I was thinking of going to the car park with my mobile phone and taking some photos of the actual notices, although these may be different from the ones that were there last year, but I bet they are not the same as the supposed exhibit.

Comment

CEL were sacked by Co-op so that's pointless.

DQ = directions questionnaire. Both parties are obliged to serve the court and the opponent with theirs.

Number of cases usually means it may not start at the stated time as the courts are busy.

M1

Comment

I am truly for sorry for your current circumstances and I think many posters on here fully understand your fear and stress.

You stated you have received a Court letter whereby DEAL have been asked to prove their Assignment with the Co-op. This is very positive (and although there are no guarantees), it could mean the Judge strikes out your case.

I know from my own Court Claim (and those of others), it is already on public record that the Co-op has never given any such assignment to DEAL. So, I don't hold out much hope DEAL will be able to comply. Both the following are on open public forums as of January 2015:

In an email, about this Assignment the Co-op stated:
            I can confirm; The Group’s consent to Assignment from Civil Enforcement Ltd to Debt Enforcement Action Limited was neither sought, nor granted.

In another email the Co-op stated:

We look at each case on an individual basis. However, I can confirm that the following statement:

"I can confirm that Civil Enforcement Limited (CEL) did not seek or obtain the consent of the Co-operative Group to an assignment to DEAL"

is also true in your case.

Yours sincerely
            Deborah Misell-Williams
            Executive Customer Careline Team

Most peoples DEAL Court Claims, listed under Particulars of Claim at the end of
            1. state...The debt was assigned to the Claimant with the knowledge of The Co-operative.

This does not appear correct and to be the case does it?

Also, reading through other forums, I find the same General Form of Judgement or Order that you have just received has been issued to others in very similar circumstances, asking for the same information.

Personally, I would email the Co-op directly, tell them about your illness and the extra stress this is placing on you and ask them to confirm in writing whether or not they agreed to this assignment with DEAL. Also, this request from the Court has bought you a little time to have a little look at your defence again (just in case). Maybe with the help of others on here (Mystery 1 has a great Defence) you can rewrite it in more detail without the time pressures. In your circumstances the District Judge may allow a fuller, more considered submission.

Good luck and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Comment

Thanks, folks.

I have just got home to a letter from the court which states the following:

"With reference to the above matter, please be advised that the claim has been struck out and the hearing of the 24 April 2015 vacated."

Hurray!

Although I kind of hoped this would happen, I thought it would be after 18 March, which was the deadline given to DEAL to prove an "assignment".

I am so relieved. I drove past the court house today, and started feeling nervous just at the notion of going along, even though I felt confident that I would win, if it got there.

Phew!!

Comment

Awesome :okay:

M1

Comment

blimey, how come it has been struck out now, with an order still in place that runs to the 18th ????
                  #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Re: Another DEAL court case -won

I was really surprised, because I only got the letter the day before, indicating that they were asking DEAL to prove the "assignment", so I thought it would be at least a few weeks before it was struck out.

I wonder if this means that all the cases are being struck out?

Unfortunately, I suspect DEAL will manage to pay the court costs of the failed cases from the money they got from people who just paid up, either at this stage or earlier. I will admit that there was part of me tempted just to pay it, because the idea of going to court terrified me. Being out of work at the moment, meant that I was never seriously tempted, but I bet there were loads of people who just thought that they should pay it once it was apparent that DEAL were taking it all the way.

Comment

I wasn't given a reason for my case being struck out, although i see that other people on this forum were. Is there a way I can find out, or is it just pointless doing so? I don't want to waste the time of the court folks, but I am curious as to what is going on.
                      Last edited by Guineveretoo; 5th March 2015, 11:19:AM.

Comment

If the case has been struck out please submit your expenses to the court (and copy to Deal) because of their unreasonable behaviour.

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
                          If the case has been struck out please submit your expenses to the court (and copy to Deal) because of their unreasonable behaviour.
                          I don't think I have any actual expenses, as everything was done by email.

Although I did print everything off, so there is the cost of paper and toner etc. but not worth claiming for that.

Comment

Time @ £18 per hour reading up and responding to email.

Comment

I don't think I am allowed to do that!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X