• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

PCN from Civil Enforcement Ltd. - WON

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCN from Civil Enforcement Ltd. - WON

Hi folks,

I know there are various threads on this subject already, but I'm a newbie here and utterly inexperienced at this, so I want to make sure I'm doing this right. The situation is this:

I parked in a private carpark while I picked up someone from the ferry terminal opposite (no parking at said terminal). The signs say that the first 10 minutes are free and then you have to pay by phone (no P&D ticket machines). I thought I was within the time, but earlier this week I received a Parking Charge Notice from Civil Enforcement Ltd. saying that I was actually in the carpark for 11 minutes and 28 second and that, for this 1 min 28 sec overstay I owe them £100 (or £60 if I pay by 17th November. As far as I'm concerned this is a massively exaggerated charge for a genuine oversight. Hence, I'm wanting to appeal.

I just want to check that I'm right in first sending them this:

"Dear Sirs,

I, as registered keeper, wish to invoke your appeals procedure. The driver did not see any signs. In any event the charges are penal and not a genuine pre-estimate of loss.

In the event that you refuse my appeal, please send me a PoPLA code. I am under no statutory obligation to name the driver and will not be doing so.

Yours faithfully,"

I wasn't sure whether to explain the siltation as I have here, given that I did actually see the sign (but thought I was within the time limit), or just leave it at that?

Cheers,
    Marc.
    Tags: None

Re: PCN from Civil Enforecement Ltd.

I would add " i draw your attention to the BPA code of practice 13.4 "You should allow the driver a reasonable period to leave the private car park after the parking contract has ended, before you take enforcement action. " 88 seconds is a reasonable period particularly when you take in to account that your camera timed the vehicle from entry and not from the time of parking."

M1

Comment

Thanks M1 - I'm glad I posted now! So, with this in mind, am I better going for that angle, rather than the didn't see the signs one. So, something like this:

"I, as registered keeper, wish to invoke your appeals procedure. The sign in the carpark stated that the first 10 minutes of parking was free. The car was recorded in the carpark for 11 minutes and 28 seconds (i.e. 88 seconds longer than the allowed time). I draw your attention to the BPA code of practice 13.4: "You should allow the driver a reasonable period to leave the private car park after the parking contract has ended, before you take enforcement action”. I believe that 88 seconds is a reasonable period particularly when you take in to account that your camera timed the vehicle from entry and not from the time of parking. In any event the charges are penal and not a genuine pre-estimate of loss.

In the event that you refuse my appeal, please send me a PoPLA code. I am under no statutory obligation to name the driver and will not be doing so.

Thanks again for your help.
      Cheers,
      Marc.

Comment

:okay:

M1

Comment

Re: PCN from Civil Enforcement Ltd.

Awesome. I will post back to say how it went.

Thanks M1.

Cheers,
          Marc.

Comment

Hi M1,

I'm just wondering if there is a set period in which you'd expect a response to a PCN appeal. I sent the appeal recorded delivery and it was signed for on 10th Nov at 12:25pm, but I've heard nothing back. I checked the website and it still shows the parking fine, now £100 as the 'early payment' window has expired. I'm just wondering how long to leave it before following up, or do I just forget about it until they contact me, how ever long that might take?

Cheers,
            Marc.

Comment

They have 35 days to get back to you. As long as you have proof they have your appeal you'll be fine.

M1

Comment

Great, thanks. I have the proof of delivery from the Royal Mail website, so no worries there.

Cheers,
                Marc.

Comment

Right, well, as expected Civil Enforcement rejected my appeal and provided a PoPLA code. They stated in their letter that the signs clearly state that only authorised permit holders should use the carpark. I went down to the carpark and, sure enough, brand shiny new signs say just this - no 10 minutes free any more. Given that I have no proof that the signs were ever saying 10 mins free, am I just resigned to paying the fine, or do I proceed with the appeal to PoPLA and just suck up the extra £40 it'll cost me if I lose?

Cheers,
                  Marc.

Comment

Popla is what i'd do but it's your call. I'm still awaiting some new results to come in since the British parking association changed the code of prcactice but i'm still super confident you'd win.

M1

Comment

I appreciate your optimism, M1. If I do appeal the PCN, I presume I'm doing so on the "The parking charge (ticket) exceeded the appropriate amount" basis, given that the signs now clearly put me in the wrong and state that £100 fine is incurred for all non-permit holders parking in the carpark for how ever long they stay?

Cheers,
                      Marc.

Comment

Several points including the above. It's a penalty too.

I'll get it done soon.

M1

Comment

Thanks M1. mashappy:

Comment

Where abouts is this ?

M1

Comment

As in, where abouts in the country? Southampton.

Cheers,
                              Marc.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X