• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ticket on Provisional License

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ticket on Provisional License

Hello everyone. Two weeks ago I was driving on the M1, a speed camera at the local limit (60mph) where I was going 70mph took a picture of me. I was driving on a provisional license, without stickers (L), I had no insurance for this car, but next to me was a driver who has a full license and is the owner of the car. What consequences can I have for this ticket if I stated that I was driving the car?
    Tags: None

If the owner of the vehicle is also the registered keeper he may receive a Notice of Intended Prosecution and a requirement to identify the driver.

If he identifies you, you will be charged with speeding, driving otherwise than in accordance with your provisional licence and driving uninsured.
    He might then be charged with permitting you to drive uninsured.

For penalties I'll leave that for islandgirl to unravel !

Comment

you have described at least 3 potential offences.
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

No insurance looking at the guidelines would fall into category 2 - higher culpability lesser harm for which the sentencing guidelines show this:
        Category 2 - Band C fine - Consider disqualification for up to 6 months OR 8 points
        Band c is 150% of weekly income.
        The licence offence gives 3 to 6 points
        Speeding band A fine and 3 points (band A is 50% of income)
        Of course the mags will look at the totality of these and construct an appropriate penalty.
        Guilty plea gets a third off...
        And then there is the matter of insurance purchase when you do pass your test...

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio95 View Post
          Hello everyone. Two weeks ago I was driving on the M1, a speed camera at the local limit (60mph) where I was going 70mph took a picture of me. I was driving on a provisional license, without stickers (L), I had no insurance for this car, but next to me was a driver who has a full license and is the owner of the car. What consequences can I have for this ticket if I stated that I was driving the car?
          To turn the question round, if the Registered Keeper does get a s172 request to name the driver, and both they and you do not identify you as the driver, then you both run the risk of being found guilty of perverting the course of justice and being sent to prison.

Even former cabinet ministers are not immune from such punishment: Chris Huhne and Vicky Pryce jailed for eight months - BBC News

Comment

No insurance looking at the guidelines would fall into category 2 - higher culpability lesser harm for which the sentencing guidelines show this:
            Category 2 - Band C fine - Consider disqualification for up to 6 months OR 8 points
            Band c is 150% of weekly income.
            The licence offence gives 3 to 6 points
            Speeding band A fine and 3 points (band A is 50% of income)
            Of course the mags will look at the totality of these and construct an appropriate penalty.
            Guilty plea gets a third off...
            And then there is the matter of insurance purchase when you do pass your test...

Comment

What about the post above, I didn't know how to do the replay option (I'm writing from my phone and I don't see the replay option, sorry) If I just wrote that I was driving alone, I'm asking purely hypothetically because I'm curious if the owner would have a problem with this?

Comment

To turn the question round, if the Registered Keeper does get a s172 request to name the driver, and both they and you do not identify you as the driver, then you both run the risk of being found guilty of perverting the course of justice and being sent to prison.
                That's not quite correct, Manxman. It will only take one of the two to fail to provide the driver's details. If the RK does not, he gets charged with the offence and that's that. If he names the OP and he fails to respond, he gets charged with the offence and that's that. So it's either one of them.

Whether the "offence" would be attempting to pervert the course of justice, I would suggest is very unlikely. Chris Huhne/Vicky Pryce were prosecuted for PCoJ because Mr Huhne deliberately nominated Ms Pryce as the driver when he knew this to be untrue. He did so because he had nine points and would face a "totting up" ban if convicted. Ms Pryce was similarly found guilty because she admitted to being the driver, which she also knew to be untrue.
                Failing to provide the driver's details is an offence in its own right and committing it does not make one guilty of PCoJ. It is not a sound argument to say that anybody failing to provide the driver's details is guilty of PcoJ, even if they know the driver's identity. Parliament has provided a penalty for the offence and I have never known a person to be charged with PCoJ simply because they committed a s172 offence. Of course the police would have to consult the CPS in order to bring such a charge and they would have to consider whether the defendant was attempting to avoid justice by failing to respond. I'm not so sure they'd go for it and in any case we must not suggest people commit one criminal offence to avoid another.

All that said, I am not entirely sure that the other offences will be detected. Insurance is certainly not routinely checked when processing speeding offences. Whether somebody is eagle-eyed enough to detect that the person accepting a speeding penalty was a provisional licence holder, and the offence was committed on a motorway is not at all a certainty. If the OP is nominated by the RK and simply accepts a course or fixed penalty he will have to ride his luck and see what happens.

A prosecution for all three offences will certainly see a harsh penalty. He will only receive points (or a disqualification) for the most serious (No Insurance). The offence certainly is in Category 2 as Island Girl suggests (never passed a test) so an immediate disqualification is a possibility. If he's awarded points, six is the minimum so he will be in a precarious position if and when he passes his test as any offence within two years will see his licence revoked. All the offences will attract fines and endorsements but again, I'm with Island Girl and the court will probably consider the "totality" of the offences.

The owner of the vehicle could also face charges, certainly of permitting the vehicle to be driven uninsured and possibly for the licence offence as well. The penalties for them are the same as for the signature offences themselves.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X