• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Who is the legal owner of car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is the legal owner of car

Hi , My daughter had a car bought for her off her husband, he got it on finance. Now since he left home 6 months ago he got a Bank loan and paid off the vehicle. Now he say`s the Bank owns the car, is this right and does my daughter not have a say in this, since it was a gift to her, the car is not in her name...... thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Who is the legal owner of car

Depends on the type of finance for the car. If it was a straight forward bank loan then the bank wouldn't normally have any claim on the car. As it was a gift to her then it's hers. What is the name on the V5 document?

Comment

so how would we find out who own`s the car , would it be any good going to the dealer , would they be able to shed light on this

Comment

If the car was on finance, then at that time the finance co owned the car, if the finance was paid off then they no longer have any claim over the car. If the husband has taken out a bank loan and not repaid it then he might be in debt but unless he took out the loan specifically for the car they have no claim over it as it belongs to your daughter. Maybe you should run an HP check to make sure there isn't any outstanding finance on the car.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

No they wont be any outstanding finance because he as only just got the loan and paid for the car and his overdraft and a argos card from the same loan , so the loan was not just for the vehicle....

Comment

Originally posted by stevel View Post
            Hi , My daughter had a car bought for her off her husband, he got it on finance. Now since he left home 6 months ago he got a Bank loan and paid off the vehicle. Now he say`s the Bank owns the car, is this right and does my daughter not have a say in this, since it was a gift to her, the car is not in her name...... thanks
            Who is the Registered Keeper?

Why is he saying the bank owns it? Has he defaulted on the loan?

Comment

No they will be no default and i dont know why he said that, but he does say alot of things that are not true. Will DVLA be any use in this matter ?

Comment

I suspect it was a personal loan in which case the bank has no interest in the car As it was a gift, then it's hers the husband owes the bank end of she doesn't. Check with HPI to see if there's any lien registered against it AND who's name is on the V5 is irrelevant as its not proof of ownership

Comment

Also make sure he didn't get a secured loan using the family home as collateral

Comment

Thanks for all your help . The house they had was Council.

Comment

How will she get the V5 put in her name without his signiture

Comment

Originally posted by stevel View Post
                        How will she get the V5 put in her name without his signiture
                        you fill in a V62 (download here:http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum.../dg_067819.pdf)
                        Send it off with £25 (I think) and the V5 arrives in about 4 weeks!

Comment

Got the form now and thank you again.......

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
                            you fill in a V62 (download here:http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum.../dg_067819.pdf)
                            Send it off with £25 (I think) and the V5 arrives in about 4 weeks!
                            sorry but i must point out the V5C is not proof of ownership.

Don't let them grind you down

Comment

Originally posted by vanman View Post
                              sorry but i must point out the V5C is not proof of ownership.

Already pointed out post 8, but in any case DVLA have to be notified of change of keeper

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X