• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Government Proposes Ban on Use of CCTV and ANPR in Civil Parking Enforcement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Government Proposes Ban on Use of CCTV and ANPR in Civil Parking Enforcement

Parking and Enforcement industries are shocked today after the government threw a MASSIVE spanner in their works in the Deregulation Bill:

The explanatory statement states as follows:

"This new clause deals with the enforcement of parking contraventions in England under Part 6 of the Traffic Management Act 2004. It provides that, subject to certain exceptions, regulations under section 78 must provide for notification of a penalty charge to be given by a notice affixed to the vehicle (which means that a civil enforcement officer must be present to affix the notice).

It also confers a power which would enable regulations to be made to restrict the use of CCTV and other devices in parking enforcement"

Here's the BPA's Announcement from yesterday:

Government proposal to ban CCTV at odds with Minister’s endorsement

19 June 2014

The BPA is surprised at Government proposals to ban CCTV and ANPR use in Civil Parking Enforcement as part of anamendment to the Deregulation Bill. This is at complete odds with a speech made at Parkex (10th June) by Transport Minister Robert Goodwill.

He stressed how essential it is for the public to have confidence that CCTV should be used to promote safety and tackle congestion and recognised there was a strong case to retain CCTV camera enforcement in four areas: around schools, in bus lanes, at bus stops, and on red-routes.

Kelvin Reynolds, BPA Director of Policy and Public Affairs said ‘We are pleased with the Minister’s recognition that CCTV has its uses and agree that better regulation is needed. The British Parking Association, along with stakeholders including the Local Government Association; Freight Transport Association; Living Streets; Disabled Motoring UK; Parliamentary Advisory for Transport Safety and Guide Dogs for the Blind has made an offer to work with Government in an open letter, to better defineand codify the use of CCTV & ANPR cameras through Statutory and Operational Guidance.

‘The Government has sprung this amendment on everyone with little notice and without publishing either an analysis of the consultation responses or the Government view. The proposed approach is heavy handed by a Government which is seeking to deregulate.I ronically, it is using the Deregulation Bill to impose further regulation on local government’.

The BPA believes Government must show a commitment to the exemptions identified by the Minister but must also understand that CCTV may be appropriate in other situations.

We understand the desire for better regulation but the BPA will be working on behalf its members to ensure that the benefits of CCTV and other camera enforcement are not compromised or lost because of this hasty proposal"

Let's hope this manages to get right through into the enacted legislation. Aldi might have their stubborness over the planning permission issue thrown back in their face afterall.
    Tags: None

Re: Government Proposes Ban on Use of CCTV and ANPR in Civil Parking Enforcement

Do you have the hansard or source of the amendment to the bill ? (because I can't find anything other than on BPA, here and CAG)
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Re: Government Proposes Ban on Use of CCTV and ANPR in Civil Parking Enforcement

This is sweet music to my ears and a cacophony in the ears of those who use/misuse ANPR/CCTV. Let's give the government a hefty shove to include a ban on the use of ANPR by civil enforcement companies in the Deregulation Bill.

Nice one, Wombats.
      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
        Do you have the hansard or source of the amendment to the bill ? (because I can't find anything other than on BPA, here and CAG)
        http://www.publications.parliament.u...a.181-187.html

Comment

Thank you Nibbler xx - my Google powers have been distinctly lacking today I always prefer to check the source before reporting it as fact, so annoys me when I can't find it.

(3)

After section 87 insert—

“87A

Power to prohibit use of devices etcarking contraventions in

England

(1)

The Secretary of State may by regulations make provision to prohibit the

use by civil enforcement officers of a device of a description specified in

the regulations, or of records produced by such a device, in connection

with the enforcement of parking contraventions on a road in a civil

enforcement area in England.

(2)

The prohibition may be—

(a)

general, or

(b)

limited to particular uses specified in the regulations.

(3)

The regulations may provide that a general or limited prohibition does

not apply in circumstances specified in the regulations (which may be

framed by reference to the type of contravention, the circumstances in

which a contravention occurs or in any other way).

(4)

Regulations under this section may amend this Part or any provision

made under it.””

Member’s explanatory statement

This new clause deals with the enforcement of parking contraventions in England under Part 6 of

the Traffic Management Act 2004. It provides that, subject to certain exceptions, regulations under

section 78 must provide for notification of a penalty charge to be given by a notice affixed to the

vehicle (which means that a civil enforcement officer must be present to affix the notice). It also

confers a power which would enable regulations to be made to restrict the use of CCTV or other

devices in parking enforcement.
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

So amendment proposed by Bill Wiggin ?
            #staysafestayhome

Comment

A ways to go yet but hopeful, some other interesting stuff in that bill also.

Comment

Parking eye shares WORTHLESS?

Comment

Although not related you might also be interested in this http://1exagu1grkmq3k572418odoooym.w...t-03-06-14.pdf

Comment

Apologies for not posting the link - I've been asleep for a few hours!

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                      my Google powers have been distinctly lacking today I always prefer to check the source before reporting it as fact, so annoys me when I can't find it.
                      Google has been sadly lacking in some areas recently. I spent nearly an hour last night just finding the right words to put in to get the result I knew was there. It used to pick up far more general terms and second guess you better. Maybe they've changed their algorithm again.

Comment

Firstly with regard to my first post, it is my understanding this will not apply to private land. It will be a welcome relief in many areas however where, for example, just stopping to drop off a passenger for a matter of a few seconds has resulted in a PCN being issued.

If ANPR is included with regards to the enforcement industry it would be excellent news.

Originally posted by righty View Post
                        Although not related you might also be interested in this http://1exagu1grkmq3k572418odoooym.w...t-03-06-14.pdf
                        An involved, but interesting read. I think many members of the public may feel a little outraged that a drug dealer be entitled to compensation for damages sustained in a RTA where he knew the driver was driving uninsured.

Comment

One thing to note is that apparently this applies in England only, so the Champagne corks are still in in Cymru.

Hopefully ANPR for Civilian EA's will be banned soon as well, to address the injustices of third parties being forced to pay PCNs not gained by them as a new owner, and some even losing their car, and possibly job as a consequence, of inability to pay Whyte & Co or JBW their fees for the old owners debt..

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X