• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Taking garage to court

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking garage to court

Stressed beyond belief!
    so my landrover was sent to a garage for potential reconditioned engine. I was told by the garage this would be the case but also a reconditioned turbo as this was causing issues with new reconditioned engine. I have been quoted £7.5 k. The garage was aware this was being run through our warranty company and that they were then to contact them.
    the warranty company went to asses to find the work had already been fulfilled everything done cat is now on the forecourt. When the warranty company assessed the parts they have logged that parts and serial numbers do not match and have therefore no authorised the claim.
    the garage then called to say the assessment officer was not very good book another assessor and we will monitor the viewing
    I have done this I am none without my car since September, I’m paying finance, insurance ,tax whiskt its say on the forecourt
    another assessor has been to view and has come back with same details adding the turbo doesn’t look reconditioned
    The warranty company and the garage have been in communication with each other I have not authorised any work and now the garage are calling me saying they have had my car for 6 months and want money
    Where do I stand I’m not paying for works I didn’t authorise and nor is the warranty company!
    Anh advise would help
    Tags: None

Hi
    How did you pay for the car? You said you are paying finance
    How long have you owned the car? How old is it?
    You stated the car was sent to a garage. Who chose the garage?

Comment

My car is on finance, from a private dealer I’ve had the car for 1 n half years now. I had 2 year warranty by AA
      it’s a 65 plate. Another garage had found this garage online to do the works as they couldn’t and seems like a reputable garage!

Comment

If you bought the AA comprehensive warranty (all repairs up to market value for a car under 10 years old and less than 100k miles) you should have contacted the AA when you had a car problem.
        The AA would have registered your claim and told you to take it to one of their approved repairers in your area. The AA states they deal with everything.
        If the selected garage passed the repair work on without the AA's approval it is their responsibility that the second garage did not use manufacturer approved parts and may have breached CRA 2015 by not providing a service with reasonable care and skill.
        You should contact the AA, tell them what has happened, ask that the car and warranty problem is sorted asap and then send a registered letter confirming your conversation.
        As you are still paying the finance on the car you are not the car owner but you are the registered keeper and responsible for the car's maintenance.
        The garage has had the car for 4 months, an unreasonable amount of time. You may have a damages claim against the AA and garage

Comment

How did you pay the deposit? Debit Card / Credit Card?

Comment

So when we put the claim in for the warranty we did contact AA, we tried to seek one of their approved garages however none were available to do the works so they authorised us to find one. So this is what we done

when the car went in the garage took the engine out the Aa assessor was member to go assess but delayed by a few days. When they finally go there the garage had already completed the works as they said they couldn’t put it back off the ramp as the sun frame was off and they needed the ramp for other work as such they went ahead and put the recon engine in. We have had two assessors view the car and the parts and both say 1. The head block numbers don’t match our car and the turbo doesn’t look like it’s been reconditioned 2. Some parts weren’t even available to assess so they will not support the claim the garage is now saying k owe this £7.6k if k don’t pick it up by the 3rd of feb then I will be charged £35 a day holding fee

Comment

Deposit for the finance ? Debit card

Comment

You still need to contact the AA to confirm what was agreed about an alternative garage that isn't on their approved list

Comment

The AA gave us the go ahead to use this garage, although is wasn’t one of their listed. The AA have been dealing with the garage themselves.

I am only now involved as the AA have refused the claim sent me all the documents as to why it’s been refused and won’t pay out the warranty and the garage won’t accept liability.

Comment

What the AA wrote in report

The engine had already been replaced on the vehicle and the vehicle was located outside in the carpark. The engineer was shown to an engine block assembly on the workshop floor amongst a large number of other engines.
                    The engine number stamped into the block was - 170908W0974204DTA, this differed to that recorded in the DVLA data base as noted in the vehicle details section.
                    No oil had been retained from draining engine. The engineer was unable to establish the fluid levels at the time of removal as the mechanic who worked on the vehicle was on leave at the time of the inspection.
                    Pistons and Connecting Rods
                    Only three pistons and rods were present, the fourth was missing, believed to be No.1 cylinder piston and connecting rod. The piston crowns all had carbon deposits present, all of the conrods had a blackened appearance from excessive heat build-up. One connecting rod had the big end bearing shell fused it and was flattened, distorted and discoloured. Only one other bearing shell was present. This was found on the floor beneath the block and was score marked.
                    Crankshaft (Unable to move engine block due to weight)
                    This was still fitted to the engine block; it would not rotate by hand and was seized. Three of the four big end journals were seen to be scored, discoloured through excessive heat build-up. One big end journal (No1 cyl) had the big end bearing fused to it and could not be removed.

General Summary / Conclusions
                    The crankshaft webs appeared discoloured due to excessive heat build-up.
                    Cylinder head
                    All of the valves had been removed from the head. The combustion chamber of No.1 cylinder had suffered impact damage from a foreign object from within the cylinder. In addition, one of the Exhaust valve seats was seen to be missing from within the cylinder head. The Removed valves were not available for inspection.
                    No head gasket had been retained for inspection.
                    Camshafts
                    These turned very easily in the cylinder head but were extremely noisy when turning. No physical damage to the cam lobes could be seen. End float was detected to both camshafts
                    Turbocharger
                    The induction compressor wheel was noted to be out of alignment and jammed into the turbo housing, The compressor blades were damaged, and the central securing nut was missing.
                    The exhaust housing was heavily contaminated with oil residue.
                    No oil residue could be detected to the exhaust tailpipe of the vehicle.
                    When asked for the oil pump, valves, missing piston and associated items the RAC Engineer was told this was all they had.

Comment

Originally posted by Bdonna View Post
                      Deposit for the finance ? Debit card
                      That doesn't help, credit card might have.

Comment

The long inspection report you have posted means nothing to me, I am not a mechanic.
                        What would help is the reasons the AA have provided that state why the repair work is not covered by the warranty

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X