• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Gladstones letter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My sis spoke to the owner of the flat online. She said there's nothing in the lease about that car park as her parking is under the building. The one I parked in is the public one.
    It really sticks in my craw to pay £170 for parking on the line. I offered them the £60 and they wrote back that they had destroyed the cheque and wanted £100! As it was the middle of a pandemic the mail service wasn't great so the appeal was slightly late.
    This just feels like daylight robbery. £170 from my meager pension :-(

Comment

Stupidly I admitted to being the driver in the first appeal. I didn't know any better then.

Comment

So last chance is your attempt to pay the reduced charge of £60

Can you find and post up original first notice to keeper (redact identifying details but leave all dates)/

Also when did you post the cheque, and what date was on it?

Have you checked they have not paid it in? (Don't trust them when they say they have destroyed it so keep that notification safe !!)

Comment

This is the original notice. The bottom is cut off because I sent it with the cheque. The cheque stub says 13/12/21.
          Attached Files

Comment

I'll check my account to see if it was cashed. Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

As you said " it was the middle of a pandemic the mail service wasn't great so the appeal was slightly late" I was hoping just a couple of days out.
              However as the cheque was dated some weeks later that isn't a viable defence

You might try asking Gladstones how they justify the demand for £170 when the protection of Freedoms Act 2015 (PoFA 2015) at Schedule 4 sec4 (5) states they may only recover from the keeper the amount (£100) stated in the notice to keeper.
              Exact wording: "(5)The maximum sum which may be recovered from the keeper by virtue of the right conferred by this paragraph is the amount specified in the notice to keeper under paragraph 8(2)(c) or (d) or, as the case may be, 9(2)(d) (less any payments towards the unpaid parking charges which are received after the time so specified).

They might not realise that they know you were the driver and so reduce their demand to £100.

Comment

Hi, the cheque was dated later because I had to wait for the appeal decision to come back. By the time I posted the appeal and they wrote back to me that took most of November. They asked for £100 but I enclosed a nite that it was the mail service why the appeal was a bit late, it could only have been a day or two. They say the extra £70 is for "time and resources spent facilitating the recovery of unpaid parking charge notice pursuant to uts ATA's Code of Practice and the Terms and Conditions of the contract,"
                The furst claim from the debt collectors was £170 though.
                What do you think my chances are in court if I explain it was pandemic time, I attempted to pay, they refused and wanted more?

Comment

Unless you get a very sympathetic judge I doubt it will wash!

ATA's code of practice (sec 19.1.5) states the Parking Company must consider appeals which are received outside of the normal period usually allowed for lodging an appeal where there are exceptional circumstances for the appeal not being lodged within the normal time frames.

You might argue that the code of practice is a term of the contract and that the Company are in breach.

If you decide to do so, good luck

Comment

I think a global pandemic affecting mail delivery is an exceptional circumstance, so I'll try that. My grateful thanks for all.this brilliant advice Des8! Without this I would have gone mad. Thanks you, thank you, thank you x

Comment

Hello DES8, it's me again after all these months!
                      I caved and sent Gladstone's Solicitors a cheque for £100. I quoted what you told me about the Freedoms Act 2015, Schedule 4.
                      Gladstone's cashed the cheque immediately so I thought it was allover. Now they're writing that if I don't pay £70 costs, they will proceed to court. I've just about had enough of them, I'm on a state pension (which I've explained each letter).
                      What do you think my chances will be in court with this. I'd appreciate some more of your expert advice. H

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X