• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Car Garage threatening legal action for 'parts purchased' but never used. Help :)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Garage threatening legal action for 'parts purchased' but never used. Help :)

Hi all,

Looking for some advice please.

Back in October 2022 I visited a local garage to get my car looked at for an issue with a leaking water bottle and a potential fuel leak.

The garage took a quick look and diagnosed the problem. They suggested a time to book the car in to carry out the repairs needed.

In the interim as I wasn't 100% convinced the work advised was correct, I took the car to get a 2nd opinion to which a simple repair was carried out on the spot.

I've since recieved 2x letters.

The first in February which stated the below:

"Please find enclosed an invoice for the parts purchased in October 2022 for the repairs to your vehicle.

The vehicle was originally booked in for repairs for the 8th November 2022 but you failed to bring the vehicle in. We have been unable to return the parts ordered and therefore have had to charge these to you.

Payment can be paid via bacs etc."

I've then recieved another letter today, along with the above information but included:

"If full payment isn't recieved within the next 14 working days, we will have no alternative but to undertake court action against you in order to retrieve the debt amount."

Now, from my perspective, I haven't signed anything. Am I liable for this debt? Surely the parts can be sent back to the supplier?

Yes admittedly I perhaps should have cancelled the booking, but I was so annoyed that they'd completely Mia-diagnosed the fault I just felt they were cowboys trying it on.

Any advice/opinion would be most welcome.

Thanks
    Tags: None

Hi 90ANDYJW

Here is my opinion only,
    A contract does not have to be in writing. I believe a contract was formed when you agreed to bring your car in for repair on a set date.
    The garage has provided proof by way of an invoice for the parts purchased to carry out the repair.
    If you pay for the parts you should be entitled to them provided the garage didn't let you know they would dispose of them if you failed to collect them within a certain time.
    Could the garage have returned the parts for a refund? This would depend on the terms of the sale between the supplier and garage. If there is a term allowing the return of parts it is likely to be time limited.
    You should have contacted the garage to cancel your booking when you no longer needed it.

Comment

When did you tell the first garage you would not be bringing your car in to them for the booked repair?
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

I think you might be stuck with paying.

If you were unhappy with their diagnosis of the problem you should have told them not to proceed any further until you OK'd the work.

If you do pay, make sure you get the parts and you can then try to sell them on eBay or whatever.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X