• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Car I have bought has outstanding finance 😬

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I brought the car in August bit of a story behind it but simply i was doing a favour for a relative. What is the likely cost of going to court? I dont seem to be able to find a legal representative that has a gpod understanding of the HP Act so far I've spoken to 3 and all said similar to call the police report criminal fraud amd go after the seller for the car/expenses.

Comment

Thank you for your best wishes PHAETON and AMETHYST

Comment

I think you need to be a little patient to wait and see what Black Horse's response is first of all, then look at your options from that point. At the moment you don't know where you stand and whether it is a mistake that the finance has been attached to the car / not removed etc or whether it has actually been sold you to fraudulently.

#staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

There is definitely finance attached to the car black horse confirmed they have an interest in the car and did confirm the second HPI check so i know its 4 years left.... I will wait and see what happens i just didnt want to leave it to late. I have moved the car and am not currently using it.

Comment

No R0b no I think it's a difference in legal & moral, not that I am saying legal is immoral. The OP had done the logical thing an honest person would do, whether that fiends or to be the thought choice week only find out later.
            Sorry i'm just thinking out loud, it might be irrelevant, I am not employed in anyway in the legal profession, please ensure you research any advice I give before using it I have been known to be wrong on multiple occasions.

Comment

Whether you look at it legally or morally, it is still a difference of opinion either way. Logically (in my view) it would have made sense to advertise the vehicle with the HPI results alongside it because that's what the OP was given at the time. There would no doubt be people in this world who would think logically, they should not inform BH if they held an honest belief that they owned the vehicle.

I'm not trying to criticise the OP's decision because I understand why that path was taken but there's always two sides to the coin and as you say, only time will tell so let's just wait and see how BH handle this.
              If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              LEGAL DISCLAIMER
              Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

So FYI update. I spoke to a lawyer today he was very good and from a medium to large company. They have a fixed fee for all correspondence outside of court. Ł350+Vat so around Ł420. They claim to have around 70% out of court settlement rate. He was confident this would be a simple case however did mention big companies may try to bully an individual.

Comment

Still not heard from Black Horse. No acknowledgement at all is this something that could take months? Is it worth instructing a solicitor to speed up the process?

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                    As you bought the car in good faith without any knowledge of the HP you should have good title to it ( section 27 of the Hire Purchase Act ) so you need to wait for BlackHorse to come back to confirm they are removing the finance from the vehicle so it shows as clear on an HPI check so you can sell it. It sounds like you have done the right things to deal with it so far so see what they come back with.

I was about to quote the HPA 1964 but i see youve beaten me to it haha
                    I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

So i finally received the innocent purchasers questionnaire.... But its been a nightmare.

10/09/18 – Contacted Black Horse via phone to confirm they had an outstanding interest in the car this was confirmed and I was asked to send in as much information as possible in relation to the purchase.

10/09/18 – Email sent with all details of the purchase including name address and trading name of the seller including an HPI check and pictures showing the condition of the car.

10/09/18 – Called to confirm the email had been received which it had. And the advisor confirmed I would receive a call by the

14/09/18 with some kind of update.

14/09/18 – Called as I hadn’t received any update or email confirmation. I was informed the evidence is still being reviewed and I should expect to hear from Black Horse by 17/9/18

17/09/18 – Called and was informed K who is dealing with this has annual leave booked but would be back on the 18/09/18 and would be asked to call me and provide an update.

18/09/18 – Called and was informed Black Horse was awaiting keeper details from the DVLA.

19/09/18 – Emailed a copy of the logbook in my name and my address.

21/09/18 – After no confirmation of the logbook being received I called and confirmed that it had been received.

24/09/18 – Called for an update on the progress and was informed K had sent out an innocent purchaser questionnaire on 22/09/18 and I should expect to receive it by the 27/09/18.

27/09/18 – Called as the questionnaire hadn’t been received and I was asked to call back the following day if I still hadn’t received it. I asked if it could be sent via email to ensure I received it and I was told it wasn’t possible due to its sensitive nature??

28/09/18 – Called as I still hadn’t received the questionnaire and I was informed it had been passed on to a duty manager who had resent the questionnaire. Advised to allow 2 working days.

1/10/18 – Called and was informed it had defiantly been resent on the 28/09/18

4/10/18 – Called as I still hadn’t received any correspondence or the questionnaire and was informed K had only sent it out on the 2/10/18 but due to the notes on the account J L sent me a copy via email which I have completed added all details requested and sent Next Day Recorded signed for before 9am.

This process has been like getting blood from a stone. Hopefully now i have filled in and sent the questionnaire it will be resolved quickly although i very much doubt it.

Comment

Blimey - slow progress

What does the "innocent purchaser questionnaire" ask that you hadn't told them / evidenced already ?
                        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

My occupation and wanted to see headed bank statements. I tried to upload a picture of the questionnaire but my camera has a resolution that's too high.

Comment

Mine too - I have to do a screenshot of the phone screen before I upload.

Did they say say what happens after you've returned the form at all ?
                            #staysafestayhome

Comment

Apparently they use the questionnaire to determine if I'm an innocent buyer. I will try that and upload if i can.

Comment

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X