• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

GAP Insurance - worth getting or not?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time I've had a car over £1k and not just paid cash ...

so car cash price was £6500 - total finance cost £9520.40
    paid 3580 odd over 23 months and settlement 5020... not great is it ... but I'm trying to look at it like it's cost us £155 a month to rent the car ( took me many sleepless nights before we made the decision to go the finance route as I really feel it's chucking money down the loo 🚽 ) then the £980 cash bit takes us to cost of £113.04 a month oop

Had I paid cash 6500 and same happened I'd be £2000 out of pocket or £86 a month oop

so cash still better but I didn't have £6.5k handy when the last car died ( had to pay someone to take it away lol ) and needed something we didn't have to worry about breaking down constantly

got to go through it all again now.... ughhh
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Oh forgot the question with all my overthinking ... gap was a one off payment of £240 ( should add that into the maths but I'm depressed enough 😂) and we didn't pay a deposit or advance payment or part etc etc for the car.
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

They are money pits aren't they I love & hate cars in equal amounts, but I still think somebody needs to do something about he Auto insurance industry, as in this case, you were not to blame so you should come out of it no worse off.
        Sorry i'm just thinking out loud, it might be irrelevant, I am not employed in anyway in the legal profession, please ensure you research any advice I give before using it I have been known to be wrong on multiple occasions.

Comment

Indeed, unless it's a classic that you never drive they're only going to go down in value. Think now if you want a decent car and good backup if it goes wrong you have to get your head around thinking of it as an expense of 'renting' rather than as purchasing an asset.

Anyway if my car hadn't been written off, then in two years I'd have paid £9.5k for a car worth £3.5k. So that would have been a bummer. And our credit file is better now so we should be able to get a better finance deal.

Saying that I can't find one same spec / yr / mileage as mine for less than £6k now ... sent insurance some examples but not holding out any hope the offer will go above £4.5k.

#staysafestayhome

Comment

Tell them that you do not want a cash settlement & that you want them to supply you a car equal to the one that was written delivered to you. I know Direct Line used to do this, no idea if they still do.
            Sorry i'm just thinking out loud, it might be irrelevant, I am not employed in anyway in the legal profession, please ensure you research any advice I give before using it I have been known to be wrong on multiple occasions.

Comment

Finally all settled/sorted

Car insurance paid £4200
              Gap insurance paid £1750
              Total £5950

Original car cost £6500

Difference £550 due to GAP valuation being £4750 and Insurers refusing to budge from £4200 ( various quite legitimate reasons )

so gap paid £6500 less their valuation of £4750

once finance was paid off it left us with 'cash' of £1046
              rather than without having gap where we'd have had to find £714 to get everything settled.

I think that shows that the £240 investment in gap was worthwhile

Now to sort out GAP on the new car and hope no bugger reverses into us again ( just started application for drop kerb and planning for a driveway to prevent the same happening again )
              #staysafestayhome

Comment

Oh and I didn't grow up ... got virtually the same car again... yellow again... but couple years newer and the cabrio version ... whoop whoop !
                #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                  Oh and I didn't grow up ... got virtually the same car again... yellow again... but couple years newer and the cabrio version ... whoop whoop !
                  I was with you all the way until you got to cabrio then I was just disappointed, hope you have lots of Tupperware*

Comment

Question : *should the option to purchase fee be charged in the case of the car being written off ?( I'm guessing yes )
                    #staysafestayhome

Comment

As you can't hand the car back (visions of man with sack of bits...) I suppose you must, but in that case I would have expected the GAP insurance to cover it as it is part of the final finance settlement figure.

Comment

Oh yes they probably did, it's all settled off, I just got my final statement from the finance and it's a little odd with no explanation and I don't like companies taking the mickey just because they don't think anyone will check the math. I'm sure it's probably fine - just annoying when I don't know instantly why things are where they are - why move the card payment - what's the £125 adjustment - where's £350 come from ( seems to be upfront document fee plus option to purchase fee at £175 each ) - what's interest been charged on .... lol - I really hate Maths so I'll just let it ride - like I have done with a £20 fuel charge in my new agreement - doesn't mean it doesn't irritate me

Attached Files
                        #staysafestayhome

Comment

So get your money's worth and ask for an explanation... you're entitled to it*

Comment

I think I will ... I'm not with them for the finance on the new car so there's no risk in asking now I'm not beholden to them. I'll let you know. Ta Des xx
                            #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X