• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Withdrawn Council Tax Exemption

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Withdrawn Council Tax Exemption

Hi,

I applied for an exepmtion in council tax becuase i was out of the country for 6
    months. I told the council all about my travelling and my intention to return to the UK and they advised it was fine so long as the property was unoccupied and unfurnished. They issued the exemption no problem. When i returned i called to tell them i was back and could they send my bills to the address. I took them 4 months to do this then i get told that i'm no long elligable becuase the exemption isn't meant for people who intend to return to the property and i get hit with a bill.

The council have admitted that it was there fault that i was miss informed but are quoting the local autority finance act and case law but i know of people who have been honest with the council and have received an exemption for travelling.

Does any one know of any case law where it's been upheld that if you are out of the country you aren't liable for council tax. Or am i just going to have to pay this?

Any help would be helpful.

Thanks

Re: Withdrawn Council Tax Exemption

It will be the intention to return part that has flumoxed things. The property was occupied by you even though you werent there and it was largely unfurnished (was it?). Advisers at the council tax seem to not understand all these exemptions, as you have seen, and they should give you some decent leeway to pay the bills as it was their cock up which means you have a lump sum due now.

There was a case in 2003/2004 that established that a property can remain your main residence even if you remove the furniture while you are away. I will try and find it.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X