• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council Tax Paid Up To Date But Court Summons Received

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council Tax Paid Up To Date But Court Summons Received

Morning.
    Any assistance with this gratefully received.

We fell behind with our council tax payments earlier this year and ended up 3 months in arrears.

We received a final notice which I reacted to by calling the Council and we made an agreement that I would pay an amount immediately followed by the balance by the 8th October.

This it was agreed would mean the Council would not begin proceedings via the County Court and we could continue to pay in instalments.

The balance and the forthcoming month were paid on the 7th October and so we are now up to date and in fact the next payment is not due until November.

Loe and behold a County Court Summons has arrived this morning for the outstanding amount up until April next year.

I called the Council Tax department at the council. They chap I spoke with checked the account, put me on hold, came back to me and announced that indeed my account was up to date as I had said and as per our agreement, and that as a "Gesture of Goodwill" they would stop the proceedings and cancel the County Court hearing......

I nearly fell off my chair (I always sit down for calls - It keeps me calmer than if I stand!) - What does he mean "gesture of goodwill"?!?!

Am I wrong in thinking that what he meant to say was, "thank you for keeping to the agreement you made with us - We, your humble servants whose wages you contribute to, know it is a struggle to find upwards of £200 every month in these difficult times, and we apologise profusely for harassing you in this way - This was a mistake on our part and we are sorry."

I have asked that they confirm in writing that they have cancelled the Summons.

Is their behaviour legally correct?

Re: Council Tax Paid Up To Date But Court Summons Received

I'm not sure about their behaviour being legally correct, more like the fella was getting above himself in my opinion.

Well at least your 'up to date' though and thats a great thing I believe.

Comment

Legally and procedurally they acted correctly. They are under no obligation to accept installments once you have missed payments.
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Do you mean County Court or Magistrates' Court? The usual procedure for a failure to pay council tax is an application by the council to the Magistrates' Court for a Liability Order.

As above, if you fail to make payments when they fall due, you may lose the right to pay by instalments and the full amount outstanding becomes due.

Comment

Originally posted by Cetelco View Post
          Do you mean County Court or Magistrates' Court? The usual procedure for a failure to pay council tax is an application by the council to the Magistrates' Court for a Liability Order.

As above, if you fail to make payments when they fall due, you may lose the right to pay by instalments and the full amount outstanding becomes due.

and then they tend to throw the book at you. Yes, the chap was probably a bit up himself, but it's sorted now,so file it under settled and don't worry about it.
          Is no longer here

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X