• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Advice please - Private nuisance Roof Damage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice please - Private nuisance Roof Damage

Ok Help please if possible.

​​​​​​situation is -

-Neighbour replaced flat roof (next door terrace 2019)

-My house started to leak

- Approached neighbour and was told it is my responsibility as my roof is old and his builder warned him about it.

-He called out the builder who said the same but avoided providing evidence. Instead tried to sell me a good which made me very suspicious.

-I agreed to look at replacing my roof but asked repeatedly where the leak was coming from. Both parties ultimately dug in their heels until I was issued a letter before action for nuisance after approx 3 years. No real evidence provided though.

-I initially denied responsibility in a response asked for clear proof of ingress and agreed to mediation on the basis that he repair the roof and remove the overlap (it has been built to encroach on top of my roof). I quickly thought better of this and agreed to make repairs but still denied liability.

- I fitted the missing seal between our two flat rooves that his builder omitted initially and resurfaced my roof as the letter demanded that I replace my roof. The leak all but stopped but there was a small residual leak that ended up being resolved by pulling off my roof/ replacing the soaked boards and refelting everything. This was around 6 months later. My builder attributed this to hidden damage and states he did not remove any of the roof surface just seal it.

- I got a surveyors report and drone photos for the initial repair that clearly show liability lies with neighbour they did not make a joint between the two rooves but left a gap. My builder agrees.

-contacted neighbours solicitor to make them aware I had this evidence and they demanded it within 14 days. I did not comply.

I now wish to claim but am unsure of how to proceed as I am outside the boundaries (pre action protocol). Give or take 18 months have passed since I last spoke to his solicitor.

Any advice? It would be a small claims track job if anything. Should I perhaps sue the builder?

Tags: None

Apologies that should say his builder tried to sell me a roof. Not a 'good"

Comment

Have you contacted your insurer? That would be the obvious thing to do.
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

I attempted that only to be told that they do not cover ingress. I assume I am going to have to make an MCOL claim I'm just nervous about being out side the lines on the pre action protocol side of things.

Comment

Well you do have a claim - but it may be against the contractor and not your neighbour (google "independent contractor tort"). Gather together all your evidence, including the cost of repair.
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

That's extra confusing. I assumed my neighbour was liable because his roof was not functioning and was causing me nuisance until I addressed it myself. How do I make the distinction?

​​​​​​Thank you for your help.

Comment

Clarity of thinking required. What caused the problem? You need to get to the bottom of that question.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20220505-WA0000.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	1687069

Comment

This was the issue essentially they built a seam on the side of the property that joins with the house on the other side but on my side they did not. It was left open. So water was free to flow off my roof and into his house and was finding it's way into both properties. As my neighbour was convinced by what he had been told by his builder he did not bother to check despite me continually asking for evidence of where the leak was coming from. This continued for three years until he decided to escalate the issue by sending me an lba. The lba itself is valuable because ot demonstrates that absolutely no effort was made.

Comment

That has to be a first. A construction diagram on a legal forum
                    It would be more helpful if you would post your surveyor's report.

Out of interest was the flat roof originally built over the 2 properties without an upstand?

You stated in your first post that "your house started to leak" Did this cause internal damage to ceilings etc?
                    Did your neighbour also suffer leak problems internally?
                    Last edited by Pezza54; 20th August 2024, 15:37:PM.

Comment

I am getting the strong impression that the leak was caused by the way your neighbour's builder went about things.

Do you have legal expenses insurance cover?

Comment

There are 8 houses in the block. He has replaced his roof with a Grp roof with huge upstands either side. His is the only one. Issue is that on the other side the upstand has a seal on it so the roof is continuous. Where his house joins mine there was never a seal installed between the upstand and my roof.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20220425-WA0003.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	1687080

Like this.

Comment

I have legal cover but have not made use of it. Early on they insisted on an itemised list of every conversation with times/dates etc. I pretty much said I cannot provide that because so much has happened, they responded that they will only proceed if they get it. May be different now as there is a lba and the reports to provide them.

Comment

I am struggling to itemise what you could claim for
                              As your roof was "old" you can't claim for new decking and covering to the whole of your roof. Did your surveyor estimate the cost of repair?
                              The surveyor's report and photos (including water damage internally) is your best evidence
                              Did you employ a decorator to make good internal decorations?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X